DCS World News 2017

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending more time in DCS than ED soon. Especially once the F-14 modules is released....

Looking forward to 2.5, though I still love flying a Huey around Vegas (mainly because I've spent a lot of time there, and am very familiar with it, even tot he point of looking for the houses of my friends there to see how close they are to the actual buildings/estates.

Z...

A Warthognis ideal if you play the Warthog A-10C module, but not essential - just nice. An X-52, or any HOTAS with lots of bindings, really, will certainly do the trick.

Download the base DCS pack, it includes a couple of free planes, and a good way to see how you like it. The expansions go on sale frequently, so if you see one you like, hold off for a sale. 30-50%off is not unusual.

Z...

What Zeeman said. It's neat if you actually fly the A-10, but by no means required.

If you want to fly helicopters though (traditional ones, not the Ka-50), you'll really want rudder pedals. Stick twist is always a possible fallback, but it's really clunky.

If you do find yourself *really* getting into DCS, it's worth getting a good HOTAS set up with a good rudder pedal set up. sure, it costs a bomb, but it'll last many decades.

Having said that, you really want to make sure you are into it. It's an easy $1000...

Z...

Goose4291

Banned
I have a feeling I'm going to be spending more time in DCS than ED soon. Especially once the F-14 modules is released....

Looking forward to 2.5, though I still love flying a Huey around Vegas (mainly because I've spent a lot of time there, and am very familiar with it, even tot he point of looking for the houses of my friends there to see how close they are to the actual buildings/estates.

Z...

Have they got the carrier actually working for landings/takeoff, or is it still a buggy mess?

Yay, 2.5 update release date is here:

Dear all,

DCS World 2.5 News Update

Work is going well with the updated Caucasus map and the summer map is ready to go! However, there is still work to do on the Spring, Autumn, and Winter maps. Much of this revolves around integration of the new SpeedTree tech. This is a rather time consuming process and is not just a case of just dropping in new tech.

Additionally, a lot of work continues on updating the hundreds of missions and campaigns that need to be adjusted for the map changes. This primarily entails moving units and their routes out of the many new forested areas on the map. We want this move to DCS World 2.5 to be as bug-free as possible.

Finally, we have the holiday season fast approaching, and we need to give our staff time with their loved ones.

Given this, we will be releasing DCS World 2.5 by late-January 2018. This is not an estimate, this is a promise.

DCS World 2.5 will be released as a new download (NOT an update to an existing version). In other words, DCS World 2.5 will replace DCS World 1.5 Stable. The current 1.5.8 Open Beta will be updated to be DCS World 2.5 Open Beta. As such DCS 2.5 Stable and DCS 2.5 Open Beta will be available at the same time. DCS 2.1 Open Alpha will be removed, and DCS World 1.5 will remain but be unsupported.

Modules under DCS World 2.x will not need to be re-downloaded or activated. Just do not uninstall DCS World 2.2 Open Alpha prior to installing DCS World 2.5 Stable, as 2.5 will copy the modules over from 2.2.
Any files in your Users/Saved Games folder will not be affected.

Pilots statistics from DCS World 2.x will be carried over to DCS World 2.5.

Movement of DCS World 2.5 would then soon follow to Steam.

Thanks,
Matt “Wags” Wagner
Eagle Dynamic SA, Senior Producer

F-14 coming up eh?

If I recall correctly, it was the first aircraft that got me interested in jet fighter flight sims — in U.S. Navy Fighters. The non-Jane's version.
I was a helicopter flight sim player before that. (all the AH-64 Apache games)

That, and I got the GI Joe F-14 around the same time...which I still have on my bookself. It's faded yellow now though. :D
l1B0Sck.jpg

Wooohooo great news!

Is the Warthog a must have for DCS, or can I get by with something like an x52 Pro?

Well you don't need it per say, however it will make the whole experience a lot more immersive :)

I'm a sim nut, so I got many different JS for different aircrafts.

I was always a bit put off DCS by the amount of detailed learning needed just to get the aircraft powered up, so I'm pleased to discover there's an autostart as well as a (more) game mode.

I got hooked on early flight sims when I had my Amiga and then PC, with Gunship, F15, F18 and many others I now can't remember. I then went to various MS Flight Sims which I really enjoyed, and recently picked up X Plane, which I've barely touched.

I'll have to ponder DCS, it looks very good. Shame I've already sent my letter to Santa....

Last edited:
recently picked up X Plane, which I've barely touched.

If you decide to give it a go, have a look at:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/29120-ortho4xp/

It's a utility that will download satellite photo imagery from google/bing/etc and generate the corresponding tiles for X-Plane. It makes for an absolutely amazing experience when flying over the places you're familiar with.

I'll have to ponder DCS, it looks very good. Shame I've already sent my letter to Santa....

Don't just ponder: get the client, it's free, and comes with two airplanes: the unarmed Mustang if that's your thing, but more importantly, the Su-25T. The game comes with a campaign for the Su-25T, and there are more free ones to find around, of (imho) better quality than the one shipped by default. Of course, if ground pounding isn't your thing, that's not a great airplane for you, but if it's something you enjoy, it comes with every single toy you can thing of: cannon, unguided bombs, rockets, fire and forget missiles, laser-guided missiles... And the editor is also fully functional, so you can make up every scenario you can think of.

I was always a bit put off DCS by the amount of detailed learning needed just to get the aircraft powered up, so I'm pleased to discover there's an autostart as well as a (more) game mode.

I got hooked on early flight sims when I had my Amiga and then PC, with Gunship, F15, F18 and many others I now can't remember. I then went to various MS Flight Sims which I really enjoyed, and recently picked up X Plane, which I've barely touched.

Aside from the "game" mode which I have no experience with, there is also some aircraft that doesnt feature high fidelity cockpit controls. For example, the F-15 is a legacy model carried over from their first creation (Lock-On, later Flaming Cliffs) so it doesnt feature the full range of controls, only the bare bones needed for simplistic control.
Its still more then many are used to but to be honest, learning the controls of the F-15 in DCS is probably easier then learning the basics of ED. Getting good at it in flight, now thats an entirely different matter :)

DCS world can be downloaded for free, and the F-15 module can be bought and downloaded for...I think its 9USD. Its amazing fun, especially if you are using VR!

If you do find yourself *really* getting into DCS, it's worth getting a good HOTAS set up with a good rudder pedal set up. sure, it costs a bomb, but it'll last many decades.

Having said that, you really want to make sure you are into it. It's an easy $1000...

Z...

I hear you on that. I probably spent around $700.00 on peripherals for ED over the last 18 months. Also, I just finished rebuilding my PC with up to date parts, so now that I have that completed perhaps the Warthog & rudders are my next big project.

I hear you on that. I probably spent around $700.00 on peripherals for ED over the last 18 months. Also, I just finished rebuilding my PC with up to date parts, so now that I have that completed perhaps the Warthog & rudders are my next big project.

Careful, suddenly you're up to your neck in stuff :D However once you get a special build rudder and or JS combination you just can't go back.
Some of these kits take month to get.

kanttori_cockpit06-icon.jpg

Procedures are always similar:

Batteries - Generator - Fuel - Aux Power - Engines.

There's always some variation on how to do it but that is the basic principle. Spotting targets is harder but I hear the FLIR systems are going to be updated.

I just wanted to pop back and thank all for their kind and helpful suggestions.

This is why I like this community so much - help is always to hand.

I will download DCS and get back to ground-pounding - I used to love doing that - and any tbh excuse to buy a warthog HOTAS. I'm less keen on the air-to-air, as frankly, I suck at it - whereas I love NOE flying! However, I will have to tidy up my HDDs in advance, as both are looking rather full at the moment.

The map-images for X-Plane look very good, but again, HDD restraints probably come first, with regret.

Anyway, thanks again all, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Have they got the carrier actually working for landings/takeoff, or is it still a buggy mess?

No idea on that one! I just choose to play other stuff and patiently await release...

And hope they get it right!
F-14 coming up eh?

If I recall correctly, it was the first aircraft that got me interested in jet fighter flight sims — in U.S. Navy Fighters. The non-Jane's version.
I was a helicopter flight sim player before that. (all the AH-64 Apache games)

That, and I got the GI Joe F-14 around the same time...which I still have on my bookself. It's faded yellow now though. :D
https://i.imgur.com/l1B0Sck.jpg

Gunship (oh wow, Microprose, remember them?) was the first sim I payed. I remember the single button joystick I had for my Atari ST, and the keyboard overlay that came in the box, along with the *HUGE* manual. I played that game as much as I did Elite.

Falcon was the next one, though I never did master landing that puppy (digital controls do not a great controller for flight sim make).

I'm really looking forward to the F-14, I've been wanting to play an F-14 sim since I was 10. So glad to be living in a time where we have such high quality recreations of these things, with the tools to make it as immersive as possible. I think VKB are even bringing out an F-14 grip for the VKB Gunfighter/Gladiator base.

Z...

Last edited:
I just wanted to pop back and thank all for their kind and helpful suggestions.

This is why I like this community so much - help is always to hand.

I will download DCS and get back to ground-pounding - I used to love doing that - and any tbh excuse to buy a warthog HOTAS. I'm less keen on the air-to-air, as frankly, I suck at it - whereas I love NOE flying! However, I will have to tidy up my HDDs in advance, as both are looking rather full at the moment.

The map-images for X-Plane look very good, but again, HDD restraints probably come first, with regret.

Anyway, thanks again all, much appreciated!

Consider a Virpil Mongoos T-50 base, and buy a Warthog grip. It's a much better gimbal design. Or, perhaps, the upcoming WarBRD.

WARBRDAnnouncement_02.png

WarBRDMech_02.png

The dual cam design is excellent, kind of a Baur trademark. I have his F3 pedals, and they are sensational. If this comes in as the "budget" base for Virpil (which they say it is), it will likely be the gimbal/base of choice for most, especially as the connector is Warthog compatible, meaning the Virpil T50 grip, Warthog Grip and upcoming F-18 grip from TM will all be "plug and play".

Careful, suddenly you're up to your neck in stuff :D However once you get a special build rudder and or JS combination you just can't go back.
Some of these kits take month to get.

http://www.kanttorinkone.com/console/kanttori_cockpit06-icon.jpg

See? This gentleman, right here, can also vouch for the brilliant design and workmanship of Mr Baur. Much like Slaw, he's an artist with mechanical things.
As above, consider the Virpil, Baur (BRD) and VKB products - much better designs and quality. The Gunfighter and Mongoos T50 (from VKB and Virpil respectively) are also tuneable in various ways. It's a little bit more, though well worth it, I think.

I'd order the Warthog grip as a spare part from TM, and buy a VPC or VKB base for it. VPC (Virpil) will be just plug and play. As I said above, I have a feeling the WarBRD will be the base of choice for many.

VKB are also looking to deliver a throttle that has a modular design, allowing you to swap throttle grips.... Sounds promising, but I suspect it's still a ways away.
Z...

Last edited:
Top Bottom