DCS World News 2017

...Virpil, Baur (BRD) and VKB products, Slaw...

Don't leave out the MFG Crosswind pedals while you're at it! They're not all metal like their Slaw device or Baur counterparts (just the mechanics), but they feel and work amazingly well. I'd strongly suggest to find something to fix them to though - even if it's just a piece of wood with rubber feet to prevent them from moving around. Deeper down the rabbid hole you go...

VKB are also looking to deliver a throttle that has a modular design, allowing you to swap throttle grips.... Sounds promising, but I suspect it's still a ways away.
Z...

As is any generally available, stable Joystick design by VKB, that isn't phased out after a year and a half I would snarkily remark. I seriously hope their portfolio becomes more stable once they sort out the issues with ther Modern Combat Grips.

Also, further highjacking the thread:

If this comes in as the "budget" base for Virpil (which they say it is)

Their exact wording in the eagle.ru forums is "The VPC WarBRD will be positioned below the VPC MongoosT-50® in the VPC product lineup to become the ultimate desktop joystick at an affordable price." That obviosuly means cheaper, but what exactly does "below" mean? I haven't seen an explanation by them. From an electonics PoV, it seems to be the same as the Mongoos-T50. Is production of these bases cheaper? Is the used material cheaper? What is the tradeoff and why would I get a Mongoos, if the WarBRD offers the same resolution and interface for grips, as well as comparable mechanics at a lower price? If the difference isn't notable, why will they provide two different designs instead of one?

Last edited:
Don't leave out the MFG Crosswind pedals while you're at it! They're not all metal like their Slaw device or Baur counterparts (just the mechanics), but they feel and work amazingly well. I'd strongly suggest to find something to fix them to though - even if it's just a piece of wood with rubber feet to prevent them from moving around. Deeper down the rabbid hole you go...

As is any generally available, stable Joystick design by VKB, that isn't phased out after a year and a half I would snarkily remark. I seriously hope their portfolio becomes more stable once they sort out the issues with ther Modern Combat Grips.

Also, further highjacking the thread:

Their exact wording in the eagle.ru forums is "The VPC WarBRD will be positioned below the VPC MongoosT-50® in the VPC product lineup to become the ultimate desktop joystick at an affordable price." That obviosuly means cheaper, but what exactly does "below" mean? I haven't seen an explanation by them. From an electonics PoV, it seems to be the same as the Mongoos-T50. Is production of these bases cheaper? Is the used material cheaper? What is the tradeoff and why would I get a Mongoos, if the WarBRD offers the same resolution and interface for grips, as well as comparable mechanics at a lower price? If the difference isn't notable, why will they provide two different designs instead of one?

Good point - the MFG Crosswinds are also brilliant - can't go wrong with any of them.

As fr the WarBRD - I suspect the trade off is lack of the type of adjustment available in the T50 - not that it's an issue - most folk happily accept the "feel" of the stick once they adjust.

Z...

<snip>
Gunship (oh wow, Microprose, remember them?) was the first sim I payed. I remember the single button joystick I had for my Atari ST, and the keyboard overlay that came in the box, along with the *HUGE* manual. I played that game as much as I did Elite.

Falcon was the next one, though I never did master landing that puppy (digital controls do not a great controller for flight sim make).

I'm really looking forward to the F-14, I've been wanting to play an F-14 sim since I was 10. So glad to be living in a time where we have such high quality recreations of these things, with the tools to make it as immersive as possible. I think VKB are even bringing out an F-14 grip for the VKB Gunfighter/Gladiator base.

Z...

Remembering Microprose is easy for me. I still have my Mech-Warrior/Commander boxfronts somewhere. :D

Anyway if there's one negative thing about the F-14 I remember, that I'm not looking forward to — it's that canopy frame is obnoxiously huge.

Remembering Microprose is easy for me. I still have my Mech-Warrior/Commander boxfronts somewhere. :D

Anyway if there's one negative thing about the F-14 I remember, that I'm not looking forward to — it's that canopy frame is obnoxiously huge.

Actually, now that I think about it, they also made F1GP, which I also dearly loved...

F-14 update...

Z...

Last edited:
The only thing I really miss in DCS or in most flight sims are good coop campaigns, they are almost not present.
I wish they had a system like arma where you can setup missions and play with your maties.

The only thing I really miss in DCS or in most flight sims are good coop campaigns, they are almost not present.
I wish they had a system like arma where you can setup missions and play with your maties.

You can create missions with the mission editor. Against AI no problem. I see that a lot in MP environment, though they might not always be on Open Servers.

Also, the Gazelle has coop pilot/gunner multicrew. Not sure about airplanes, might be one or two with it.

Still need a MP Coop campaign/mission where you can join up and do it together, or maybe I just didn't look hard enough for it :)

I’m still learning to fly mostly, so have yet to have a crack at any multi player stuff, though I thought there were co-op campaigns? I need to look deeper into it.

Z...

Top Bottom