DCS World News 2017

How good are the helicopter campaigns?

The Huey UN Pilot campaign (comes with the module) is pretty nice but a good few missions are buggy as hell as there's some confusion in the waypoints altitudes (sea level vs above ground level) making your leader go onto wild altitude changes that are tough to follow. Going through it makes you a better pilot at any rate, and otherwise you have the option of taking the campaign mission files into the mission editor and fix the waypoints.

There's a nice free player-made campaign called Bay of Hogs. It was originally made for the Mi-8 but the author has ported it to the Huey so you can pick your favourite. It's pretty entertaining, being based on over-the-top movie-grade manoeuvering. No fooling around with systems or weapons, it's all about the flying. Say you've got to take down a truck on the road, your gunners behind will open the doors and fire automatically once you're in range. Speeding a few meters above ground, flying under power lines, bridges, small rooftop landings in the jungle, night raids, you name it. Not sure how well it plays with the new version of the Caucasus map though so maybe it needs an update.

Haven't started them yet so don't take that as recommendations, but I've also got Argo and Oil Field in my to-do list. Argo is a ship-based Huey campaign with varied objectives and great reviews, and Oil Field is a civilian campaign for the Mi-8 which sounds neat for a change.

Goose4291

Banned
Anyone got the Harrier? Im toying between this and CAP2 and just want to check

1. Is it any good?
2. I heard it requires a net connection to validate your account every time you turn the game on. Is this the case?

1. Is it any good?
2. I heard it requires a net connection to validate your account every time you turn the game on. Is this the case?

I would get DCS Harrier over CAP2 game any time. While still early in developement it has all the bells and whistles that DCS A-10 plus its vtol, air to air capability, already wide selection of weapons and its amazingly fun to fly. And RAZBAM is updating it on a quite fast rate.

Not sure about online validation but I think you can start the sim offline with the recent update.

Last edited:

1. Is it any good?

afaik, the whole key things are to be replaced with online auth check. not sure what a cap2 is, but the Harrier is a fine plane to fly. Especially with the vector controls.

Apart from iconic F-14 that is close to being ready I'm eagerly waiting for DCS Mi-24 Hind. I saw those beasts in real life many times, and was lucky to sit in one on the ground. Fantastic gunship that is greatly misrepresented in flight sims imo. I only recall one old Hind sim and poorly made addon for Microsoft flight sim.

Last edited:
I'm eagerly waiting for DCS Mi-24 Hind

You don't say... Had some quality time back in the days with the old modestly-named Hind, now on Gog: https://www.gog.com/game/hind

With a fascination for troop transport vehicles, it was pretty awesome to have a sim covering troop deployment and pickup. I get my kicks now with the Huey and Mi-8 but I wouldn't mind going back a bit to the old beast.

You don't say... Had some quality time back in the days with the old modestly-named Hind, now on Gog: https://www.gog.com/game/hind

With a fascination for troop transport vehicles, it was pretty awesome to have a sim covering troop deployment and pickup. I get my kicks now with the Huey and Mi-8 but I wouldn't mind going back a bit to the old beast.
I second this recommendation, Digital Integration's HIND was an excellent sim for its day, well worth picking up from GOG for the price they are asking for it....I really do miss the range of flight sims we had access to back in the day...

Having said that I have taken advantage of the recent DCS sale finally got round to buying into it and picked up the Flaming Cliffs 3, Harrier, Viggen and F5 Tiger :)

Goose4291

Banned
afaik, the whole key things are to be replaced with online auth check. not sure what a cap2 is, but the Harrier is a fine plane to fly. Especially with the vector controls.

Can you do me a small favour, and try to boot up the game with the Harrier DLC running while not connected to the net? I don't want to have a £25 flight simulator I can't use at sea.

Hind was a fantastically underrated sim for it's day. I do love the old girl though. A while back I was in an ArmA campaign where we were playing Mercs and had to order stuff based on the 'payouts' the mission maker was awarding us. The Hind became a staple part of our groups actions due to it's flexibility.

As a sidebar, Razbam's type 23 is starting to look REALLY good to me

35889415_1745322672221030_3758927146639163392_o.jpg

As is there Type 22, Batch 3

35972574_1745322832221014_7275418456164401152_o.jpg

A quick side note regarding CAP2, don’t buy it yet.

I bought it at release and very little has been done to it over the months. Wait and see on this one.

If DCS works without a net connection for authorisation then that is a far safer bet IMO.

Can you do me a small favour, and try to boot up the game with the Harrier DLC running while not connected to the net? I don't want to have a £25 flight simulator I can't use at sea.

Hind was a fantastically underrated sim for it's day. I do love the old girl though. A while back I was in an ArmA campaign where we were playing Mercs and had to order stuff based on the 'payouts' the mission maker was awarding us. The Hind became a staple part of our groups actions due to it's flexibility.

As a sidebar, Razbam's type 23 is starting to look REALLY good to me

As is there Type 22, Batch 3

My last info was it tries to contact the server at least ever 3rd day. You'd be able to go 3 days without and then no more. I'll see if I can simulate it, but in general the big update to the better graphics have done my potato in. It's basically only playable in SP - with long waiting and loading times. MP isn't fun anymore with my system's performance. Too many hikes and spikes - and I fly helos and Harriers low and fast. A real killer.

Looks like Eagle Dynamics will start overhauling older modules starting with first study one Ka-50 Black Shark.

DCS World has greatly improved since DCS: Black Shark 2 was originally released, and we thought it time to create a new Black Shark 2 trailer that places the Ka-50 in this new environment. We are also working improvements to the Ka-50 to add new graphical effects and rendering technologies.

[video=youtube;CZ-sjo_K7Pg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-sjo_K7Pg[/video]

For someone just enjoyed flying around the environments in Arma 3 in a helicopter, not even needing to shoot stuff, would the DCS 2.5 Huey purchase be a good bet? Graphically it looks amazing and might fit the bill to scratch that chopper itch.

Top Bottom