DCS World News 2017

Goose4291

Banned
For someone just enjoyed flying around the environments in Arma 3 in a helicopter, not even needing to shoot stuff, would the DCS 2.5 Huey purchase be a good bet? Graphically it looks amazing and might fit the bill to scratch that chopper itch.

Everyone I know who's an ArmA nut (with it's advanced flight model on) has the Huey and loves it, so I'd say so.

Actually, just had a thought, with this DCS South Atlantic Assets expansion, we may see player modded Lynx's and Chinnies.

For someone just enjoyed flying around the environments in Arma 3 in a helicopter, not even needing to shoot stuff, would the DCS 2.5 Huey purchase be a good bet? Graphically it looks amazing and might fit the bill to scratch that chopper itch.

Depends what you're after. If it's the flying experience, by all means yes. It's a fantastic module. However, if it's for the sightseeing, be warned that DCS is far less detailed and interesting than the utterly gorgeous ArmA3 maps. I really really would love to fly the DCS Huey over Altis.

Goose4291

Banned
Depends what you're after. If it's the flying experience, by all means yes. It's a fantastic module. However, if it's for the sightseeing, be warned that DCS is far less detailed and interesting than the utterly gorgeous ArmA3 maps. I really really would love to fly the DCS Huey over Altis.

Gotta agree with this. I'd also recommend to anyone who just likes flying in ArmA, albeit with a purpose to try out the 77th JSOC's servers, which are reliant on player pilots ferrying player squads from a FOB to the AO.

Goose4291

Banned

MAC is going to be like a gateway drug for a lot of folk, I'm calling it...

2dypob.jpg

That's pretty cool, it's basically a FC4 isn't it? Plainer versions of all these modules? It's great that they threw the Sabre and MiG-15 too, should help pulling some crowd in the era.

Goose4291

Banned
Does it have cluster bombs?

As we were talking about Transport Helos, the answer is sadly a no.

However I believe cluster bombs for fast air were brought in with the Laws of War DLC :D

That's pretty cool, it's basically a FC4 isn't it? Plainer versions of all these modules? It's great that they threw the Sabre and MiG-15 too, should help pulling some crowd in the era.

Yep...and a discounted FC4 if you already own 3 :)

Last edited:
I own few Hueys for different flightsims but the DCS one has the best feel for me. Lots of folks that have real life experience with helis also recommens DCS one.
As far as sight seeing goes I like flying helos on the new Middle East map, it has lots of variety and the city is just gorgeous.
Also dev is working on improving maps details such as pedestrian traffic, civ air traffic and farm animals.

Fight Control.... This is Captain Mad Mike, Requesting landing clearance

I fired up DCS 2.5 last night to test out the new build in VR.

it always looked pretty but ran like a bag of (slang for bottom) . I could not for the life of me remember my log in details however I dont think i bought any content for it so i just made a new account and tried the free to play stuff.

its incredible. visually a decent upgrade. Performance is ................. ok, not perfect by a long stretch , this was on about medium detail, however i "only" have a gtx 980 i think this is going to be a thing of beauty when i get my next gpu.

I did some of the training missions, managed to start my Su 27 from cold, take off, do some air handling missions and then safely bring it back to the tarmac.

really good fun. probably no better than other flight sims i have played - like MS FSX for instance, but certainly looks a lot prettier out of the box.

pretty much all the in cockpit stuff runs fine on my rig but outside shots tank the framerate. I will definitely put some more time into this, i need to make a good profile for my X56 hotas, for some reason the downloaded profile i found would not work (it was split into 2 files one for throttle one for stick but i could only load in 1 file not both). it recognises my oculus touch controllers and i have hands in the cockpit. I think all the switches and what not are meant to work realistically but this could be a setting i need to enable as my hands would not interact with anything.

its typical, i owned ILS stirmovik for 8 months and played for 20 mins. 2 days ago steam revoked my key and i actually wanted to play it last night... DOH!.

instead i went into elite dangerous for 30 mins after my DCS flight, crashed my ship and lost about 3 hrs worth of money!. double DOH!.

Last edited:
its typical, i owned ILS stirmovik for 8 months and played for 20 mins. 2 days ago steam revoked my key and i actually wanted to play it last night... DOH!.

You're far from alone there... Couple days ago, 1C have revoked thousands of keys, allegedly illegal keys bought with stolen credit cards and sold on unapproved "grey market" sites (basically G2A). There are, however, a fair few people whose revoked keys were purchased directly from the Steam store. To say that there's a disgruntled user base would be an understatement.

thanks for that. Sadly i am out of luck i think as i cant find a copy oof the steam key which they need to process the refund.

Steam have removed all evidence of the key from my account and i cant find it in my email and is gone from my G2A account. (i will never use them again, such a song and dance!)
i have sent them an image of my steam saying it has been removed but from what i can tell that will not be enough.

edit
such an idiot, the keys are on my il2 account

Last edited:
Probably out of luck alright. Regarding game purchases, I'd advise you take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/ and in particular the link on the right: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2yhlw4/key_resellers_and_what_they_mean_for_you/ . It contains info about dodgy key sales, and more importantly a list of widely-used official resellers. So as a rule of thumb, it's a good idea not to purchase outside of these. Typically, G2A has been known as dodgy and forbidden on the subreddit for a good while now.

Regarding Il-2 Battle of X specifically, 1C only approve themselves and Steam for sales, so it's even simpler. Typically, you'll find that legit sites such as Humble or GamesPlanet only have 1946 and Cliffs of Dover (other company).

Last edited:
Yeah I had heard rumours that G2A were dodgy but then I heard the same about cdkeys as well but was since told cdkeys is legit. G2A I was convinced about when AVForums started promoting them. However I stand corrected now and once thisnIL2 mess is sorted I guess I will boycot them. For the sake of a few quid I don't want the Devs to lose out.

TBH IL2 that I have now is enough for me however IF they reinstate my key despite not making money off me I will probably buy another dlc as a thank you.

Last edited:
Back on topic. DCS2.5 struggles in VR with my gtx 980. I know a lot of flight Sims are CPU bound however I am hoping my i7 5820k at over 4.2ghz should be ok. Does anyone here have a 1080ti and play this in vr?
I am planning on getting an 1180 and hoping it will be flawless at full bubble in vr however maybe I expect too much

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
[video=youtube;BjwNyxmnIFw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjwNyxmnIFw&feature=share[/video]

Razbam's AI overhaul for the LHD is looking good

Razbam's AI overhaul for the LHD is looking good

Not how you normally deck land a Harrier. You come in parallel to the ship, offset to the left, and stop in the hover before moving sideways over the deck. That way if the engine quits as you apply full power to hover, you don't drop 7 tons or so of metal on the deck. Keeps you clear of turbulence from the island too. You also come down quite hard, as you want to be ingesting your own exhaust gasses for as little time as possible. The undercarriage is designed to take a big impact.

[video=youtube;9ZkIIwqwud8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZkIIwqwud8[/video]

Not how you normally deck land a Harrier. You come in parallel to the ship, offset to the left, and stop in the hover before moving sideways over the deck. That way if the engine quits as you apply full power to hover, you don't drop 7 tons or so of metal on the deck. Keeps you clear of turbulence from the island too. You also come down quite hard, as you want to be ingesting your own exhaust gasses for as little time as possible. The undercarriage is designed to take a big impact.

Yep, that's how it's done and you can do it like that in the sim, too. Lot's of overcorrections when you're a beginner, but slow and steady gets this usually done even for bloody noobs. Experienced advice can make a difference too.

Top Bottom