DCS World News 2017

You got the A10C? Well, it's one of the most complex sims out there. Harrier is simple in comparison.

No - thoroughly scared of it after trying both the A10C and the Harrier on the last free-fly days and failing to to complete the switching on training for either - so I opted for the brave-sir-robin approach.

Despite my trevails I am enjoying flying the planes, but it's just rather painful at times - I spent 30+ minutes today setting up HOTAS bindings, VoiceAttack mappings and tuning the OpenTrack response curves, all just for the F/a-18, and then shut the game down - I routinely have to remind myself that it's very early days.

Then I looked at the Cougar MFDs before firmly reminding myself that ' it's very early days'.

Last edited:
And you have to bind all the controls for every aircraft AND DCS allocates lots of duplicate bindings for all controllers.

Yes - I discovered the duplicate binding issue the hard way... my early take-off attempts with the F/a-18 were 'sub-optimal' and involved large explosions and many fire trucks...

DCS is amazing, but setting up controls is a complete PITA... That UI to set keybinds feels very dated and could use a complete facelift. Setting up HOTAS controls in X-Plane 11 is a breeze, in IL-2 Sturmovik is also much easier than in DCS. DCS hotas configuration is such a pain, that I've been putting off playing it again since I changed HOTAS because I dread setting up the binds again.

New map, actually quite large Syria terrain ready for pre order, looks really awesome:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sQYegKG3hM

This 600x500 km map covers much of the eastern Mediterranean, and includes most of Syria, Israel, and Lebanon. Areas of Turkey and Jordan are also included. Major cities like Damascus, Tripoli (Lebanon), Latakia, Tartus, Homs, Aleppo, Hamah, Palmyra, Haifa, Acre, Beirut, and Incirlik/Adana are created in detail with hundreds of unique landmarks. The geography is varied with a temperate western coastline, mountains and an arid desert landscape to the east of the landform.
Since the times of Ancient Egypt, Rome and the Ottoman Empire, large-scale wars were fought across these lands. Thousands of years ago these battles were fought with swords, spears and arrows, today these areas have become the theatres of grandiose mechanical warfare. In the 20th and 21st centuries, this map is home to the many conflicts including the 6 Day War, the 1982 Lebanon War, air operations over the Bekaa Valley, and the most recent operations against Isis.
With such a wide range of historic locations, airfields and targets, mission options are almost endless; all set in the most stunning and scenic environment ever made for DCS World.

Syria is a great looking map and I'd like to pre order but.......it's made by the same company that did the Normandy map. Apparently Normandy has/had a bunch of performance issues. I think it's had a recent update though. I don't have the Normandy map so I'm just going by what I've read on the DCS forum. I feel like Syria might be a see how it does and wait for a sale situation.

Indeed, Normandy had major performance issues, all gone now fortunately. I`m not keen on buying more aircrafts from third parties right now but I will jump in to Syria as soon as it released. Will let you know how it performs.

From latest newsletter:

The DCS World Dynamic Campaign Engine combines a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) engine with military forces and economics layers (production, logistics, use and transfer of resources) that pitch two opposing sides aided by advanced strategic and tactical AI.

We have now completed the core RTS logic and have connected it to DCS World. We are currently finalising the basics of the in-game economic models. We will be working on the combat tasking logic and certain win-win situations in the near future. The last stage will be the Client - Server architecture needed to support large campaigns with on-going online sessions.

We are certain that you will have many detailed questions and look forward to revealing more information on this module as and when we are in position to demonstrate some of the features live.

22 years after Falcon 4.0, we might see it appear in DCS. 😮

Yeah it took them some time hihi, at least it will be free for everybody, not a payed module!

Oh, even better. Didn't see any details, I just assumed they'd charge for it. That's going to make the free base game with the Su-25T a hell of an offer. Those SEAD missions will make the free plane incredibly relevant if the campaign system works well.

Aye, it should be communicated more clearly in the announcement but Matt Wgner from Eagle Dynamics confirmed on Facebook that dynamic campaign will be free.

That is great news. I made half-arsed campaigns on the caucasus map with drunk pilots driving their cars about to the general alert, Harrier makeshift airstrips getting shelled by insurgent mortar ambush, coup d'etat in 80ies Soviet Russia and Mig21 pilot was the only one able to counter it.
Worst problem alsway was that I knew exactly where I had placed everything and nothing was variable. Looking forward to some dynamic campaigning.

Syria map is out. Need... to... resist... I have FS2020 too fool around with, and Il-2 has major sales too...

They got me with the "last day of 30% off preorder". I've not spent too much time with it (FS2020) but what I saw of Beirut and Tripoli it looks like a very nice map. Both cities looked very detailed and very well done.

They got me with the "last day of 30% off preorder". I've not spent too much time with it (FS2020) but what I saw of Beirut and Tripoli it looks like a very nice map. Both cities looked very detailed and very well done.

Didn't see that, that might have tipped me over. But then, that was probably on their site, I pick up DCS stuff on Steam here, only saw Syria pop in today. They fixed their paranoid key system too, apparently we're back to the original deal: the Steam modules can again be all activated on the standalone should I ever want to.

As promised just stopping by to say that I bought the Syria map and in comparison to (on release) Normandy/Channel map the performance is much much better with same settings.

Top Bottom