Dear FDev, please bring back the Arkgamanon Mountain Range!

Greetings, commanders!

I’ve been playing ED now for nearly five years and I always enjoyed heading out to the unknown, visiting known extraordinary places, like Mitterand Hollow, Pomeche 2c, the World of Death and others and finding new ones.

During DW2 I visited the Arkgamanon Mountain Range for the first time and was deeply impressed by its extreme contrasts and majestic beauty. I returned three times, raced up and down those extreme mountains and enjoyed the spectacular views. In between my visits there, I always tried to find similar, exciting planets. I found a few but nothing comparable.

Now, in Odyssey, it’s gone. Completely. Not reduced to ‘normal’ or ‘imaginable’ dimensions. Gone. And my ED(O) galaxy turned grey and dull.

I like Odyssey. I like walking on the new planetary surfaces, the fine textures and details, for example my shimmering footprints on the moist surfaces. And yes, there’re still nice mountains in Odyssey, somewhere else. But with the Arkgamanon Mountain Range gone, I’m not sure whether there are others, really exciting planets still out there to be discovered, worth spending more hours in the cockpit. The canyons of Pomeche 2c have been ‘reduced’ and of cause, I’d also prefer the old ones. What’s next? Mitterand Hollow converted to some rocky rings? The World of Death shifted to another orbit?

I can understand other people who think those places are errant or glitches, who prefer a more realistic ED galaxy. For me, these locations always have been the spice in ED.

What do you think?

See you in the void - o7

P. S.: The Arkgamanon Mountain Range now in Odyssey...

Pyramoe PM-X b33-6 (20210915-225303).png

How would they bring it back though? The generation engine is entirely different.
Well, I don't expect them to be able to press a button to get it back...they have enough other urgent things to do. Maybe they would've been able to generate a new 'impressive' world with mountains by setting the right bits in the seed values manually or by migrating the character of the world somehow automatically.
I assume they did some manual tuning for Pomeche because it's more popular.

Plus, now it's the time to add requirements for the following planet generator, the one creating dense atmospheres, weather and water <dreaming...>

Greetings, commanders!

I’ve been playing ED now for nearly five years and I always enjoyed heading out to the unknown, visiting known extraordinary places, like Mitterand Hollow, Pomeche 2c, the World of Death and others and finding new ones.

During DW2 I visited the Arkgamanon Mountain Range for the first time and was deeply impressed by its extreme contrasts and majestic beauty. I returned three times, raced up and down those extreme mountains and enjoyed the spectacular views. In between my visits there, I always tried to find similar, exciting planets. I found a few but nothing comparable.

Now, in Odyssey, it’s gone. Completely. Not reduced to ‘normal’ or ‘imaginable’ dimensions. Gone. And my ED(O) galaxy turned grey and dull.

I like Odyssey. I like walking on the new planetary surfaces, the fine textures and details, for example my shimmering footprints on the moist surfaces. And yes, there’re still nice mountains in Odyssey, somewhere else. But with the Arkgamanon Mountain Range gone, I’m not sure whether there are others, really exciting planets still out there to be discovered, worth spending more hours in the cockpit. The canyons of Pomeche 2c have been ‘reduced’ and of cause, I’d also prefer the old ones. What’s next? Mitterand Hollow converted to some rocky rings? The World of Death shifted to another orbit?

I can understand other people who think those places are errant or glitches, who prefer a more realistic ED galaxy. For me, these locations always have been the spice in ED.

What do you think?

See you in the void - o7

View attachment 262951

what all these unpleasant people are trying to say is, Odyssey killed Arkgamanon Mountain Range.

I don't think the Arkgamanon mountain range was discovered until more than a year after Horizons launched. We know the planetary surface generation has been completely replaced for Odyssey. It is unreasonable to expect to find in just a few months of Odyssey all the spectacular vistas the entire community has found during the 5 years of Horizons.

Here's an idea: instead of moaning on the forums, get in your ship fly out into the black and find the new Odyssey vistas. Discover a new mountain range and put your name on it!

The game erases awesome destinations and that's all you got? Deal with it? I find your lack of originality disturbing.

Probably not the best way to say it, but it is the case.

FD changed the generation. Old favourites are gone. New favourites will be found. However, from what I've seen so far, the extremes are a lot less with the new generation, which is a bit sad.

I guess the only way to do it would be for FD to create new "tiles" with more extreme features and add them to the system.

But the only thing to do now is indeed, "get over it"

Greetings, commanders!

What do you think?

See you in the void - o7

View attachment 262951

Sadly that's the price of "progress".

All those wonderful locations that were waypoints on DW1 and DW2 have gone, along with thousands of POIs people had discovered for the mapping project dating back 5 years.

Its quite telling that if you check the mapping project thread now, hardly anything of geological note has been submitted to it since Odyssey's release. Still, at least Elite now has pretty sunsets :rolleyes:

The game erases awesome destinations and that's all you got? Deal with it? I find your lack of originality disturbing.
There are billions of planets out there.
Find something else?
As others said, the generation system is different, FD has other problems with EDO instead of
handcrafting everyone's pet peeve mountain range/most loved crater/fantastic planet surface texture back into the game.

How would they bring it back though? The generation engine is entirely different.
By means of running two engines: the old one for all previously landable GBodies and the new one for the newly landables. It would cost more, make more possibilities for bugs, increases technical debt and probably make FDev - or some individuals in their team - look like being wrong right from start, so it won't happen. But it is technically possible.

OP: the probability for Odyssey to be merged into EDH gets lower with every day the performance problems are not fixed, so enjoy every day you have with EDH. I think it will be with us for a long time now. So after some time the already drying out exploration community will be part of ED's archaeological lore: an ancient group that explored the galaxy and found wonders long gone with the wind, but still observable in a quantum-parallel universe you can only access with the right technology. Or some other technobabble like that...

By means of running two engines: the old one for all previously landable GBodies and the new one for the newly landables. It would cost more, make more possibilities for bugs, increases technical debt and probably make FDev - or some individuals in their team - look like being wrong right from start, so it won't happen. But it is technically possible.

OP: the probability for Odyssey to be merged into EDH gets lower with every day the performance problems are not fixed, so enjoy every day you have with EDH. I think it will be with us for a long time now. So after some time the already drying out exploration community will be part of ED's archaeological lore: an ancient group that explored the galaxy and found wonders long gone with the wind, but still observable in a quantum-parallel universe you can only access with the right technology. Or some other technobabble like that...

Baked Apple Theory?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCvkwG-W8pU

LOL.
"Due to the continental drift that happened on 19th of May 3307 all over the galaxy at the exact time over the course of a day, of course every planet now looks different. Despite some dull conspiracy theorists still claiming that this is physically impossible, scientific consensus is that indeed this is the most probable theory for the puzzling findings of ancient explorer groups, reporting wastly different terrain features on specific planets. Especially expedition members of - formerly respected - Distant Worlds and/or Distant Worlds 2 undertakings seems to suffer from delusions of 'deep and narrow canyons', 'non-repeating surface features' and even 'mountains so high they reach into space', when today every scientist being worth his money can quickly explain to you why it is only normal that you have the star-shaped crater on every planet, at least 2 and up to 20 copies of the space-dragon wherever you point your ship at, and of course no crater so narrow that your SRV will be stuck. Or laughable things like mountains higher than 20km. Ridiculous. Congress discusses the possibility that tales of these people are fake news and only serve the purpose of increasing funds for psychiatric hospitals across the bubble."

LOL.
"Due to the continental drift that happened on 19th of May 3307 all over the galaxy at the exact time over the course of a day, of course every planet now looks different. Despite some dull conspiracy theorists still claiming that this is physically impossible, scientific consensus is that indeed this is the most probable theory for the puzzling findings of ancient explorer groups, reporting wastly different terrain features on specific planets. Especially expedition members of - formerly respected - Distant Worlds and/or Distant Worlds 2 undertakings seems to suffer from delusions of 'deep and narrow canyons', 'non-repeating surface features' and even 'mountains so high they reach into space', when today every scientist being worth his money can quickly explain to you why it is only normal that you have the star-shaped crater on every planet, at least 2 and up to 20 copies of the space-dragon wherever you point your ship at, and of course no crater so narrow that your SRV will be stuck. Or laughable things like mountains higher than 20km. Ridiculous. Congress discusses the possibility that tales of these people are fake news and only serve the purpose of increasing funds for psychiatric hospitals across the bubble."

Yeah. is a tricky one though. Do you trade off an upgrade to the surfaces for keeping familiar topography? I think you probably don't .. and Frontier didn't. Can't blame them either really, despite this problem it creates.

Top Bottom