Death and Legs

Reading all the other legs threads here has got me thinking about how death would be handled if we get legs. Re-spawning at our ships if we die just seems a bit cheap to me, it not really a penalty to just end up back in the pilots seat. Getting 'killed' in an SRV has a financial penalty of buying another SRV at least.

I was thinking that if we die we could/might end up back at the nearest station and given the re-buy screen, but since your ship being lost because you're dead seems a bit daft, maybe we could have a 'ship retrieval fee' with similar costs to the current ship transfer. Or maybe we could loan or buy a new ship and fly out to our old ship and tag it for retrieval. Maybe there's a fee, maybe not.

Finding tagging/reporting/salvaging derelict ships belonging to NPCs or other (dead) players could be quite a fun new mechanic IMO. I think that if a player were to die there ship wouldn't be considered legal salvage until they had either waited too long to claim it or just abandoned it anyway (at the 'rebuy' screen).

Just sort of train of thought type things.

Reading all the other legs threads here has got me thinking about how death would be handled if we get legs. Re-spawning at our ships if we die just seems a bit cheap to me, it not really a penalty to just end up back in the pilots seat. Getting 'killed' in an SRV has a financial penalty of buying another SRV at least.

I was thinking that if we die we could/might end up back at the nearest station and given the re-buy screen, but since your ship being lost because you're dead seems a bit daft, maybe we could have a 'ship retrieval fee' with similar costs to the current ship transfer. Or maybe we could loan or buy a new ship and fly out to our old ship and tag it for retrieval. Maybe there's a fee, maybe not.

Finding tagging/reporting/salvaging derelict ships belonging to NPCs or other (dead) players could be quite a fun new mechanic IMO. I think that if a player were to die there ship wouldn't be considered legal salvage until they had either waited too long to claim it or just abandoned it anyway (at the 'rebuy' screen).

Just sort of train of thought type things.
I would have it that you wake up in the nearest infirmary if you die on foot. You will have to pay for hospital and ship towage fees. If you don't your ship is impounded.

If your SRV gets destroyed and you have the space legs expansion, have it that you eject which then soft touches you down on the planets, then you can call your ship like you could in the SRV. If you die after ejection while not in your ship, see above.

Only one word: telepresence :sick:
If that's the explanation Frontier goes with, rather than just leaving it up to us to provide our own explanations (my default explanation is "My Commander is in the Universe 168 hours a week. Her player is in the Universe less than five hours a week on average. Any "instant" events take place within that gap.") then that will be the final straw in maintaining any kind of verisimilitude within the game for me.

My only conclusion would have be that I'm a 35th Century gamer playing a game set in the Golden Age of the Pilots' Federation, a brief period of time between the advent of the FSD, and the advent high-bandwidth, low latency, long-range communcations technology, which allowed the Powers that Be to finally destroy that criminal conspiracy, and usher in a Golden Age for all of Humanity. :D

That'll be weird and/or expensive if you die at Beagle Point.
Possibly, but it's unlikely you will die there. Depends if it is set price or done per LY like ship transfer.

You're just gonna spawn back in your ship like with the SRV, for exactly the same reasons.
The reason why you don't die with the SRV is that you are not dead or even injured. You are ejected in your capsule which your ship then picks up, you then spawn in your ship. When you are actually incapacitated when not in you SRV or ship, your ship probably can't pick you up as you are not in your escape capsule.

But they may do it that you are suddenly healed of all your wounds and appear in your ship, but I certainly hope not. That would be a bit crap.

The reason why you don't die with the SRV is that you are not dead or even injured. You are ejected in your capsule which your ship then picks up, you then spawn in your ship.

Nice head-canon, but not really relevant.
You respawn in your ship because killing your ship because the SRV is destroyed would be stupid - nothing to do with imaginary escape capsules.
Likewise, killing your ship because your avatar is destroyed would also be stupid.
Hence dying in spacelegs will respawn you in your ship, 100% healthy.

Maybee well have the ability to have different medical bays on board our ships. Some just offer first aid while others offer full on revival services. If you die and have a respawn medical bay you come back but your remlock is damaged and you have to either use a replacement (maybee only 2 or 3 at the most) or you have to return to a base to repair it. Course then if you blow your canopy your screwed but that's part of the risk. Anyway you won't be able to leave the ship without it and it will keep people from spamming respawns

Something, something, telepresence.

Something, something, medical rocket pants.

In all seriousness though, I've often wondered if telepresence was introduced with Legs-death in mind. Not sure how it'd play out best though. Perhaps having Cmdrs only able to move in 'kill free' zones like High Sec stations, while holo-me versions do the dirty work on planet surfaces?

Personally I kinda like the sound a of a 2 tier system though: Cmdrs in their full loadouts are badass. Telepresence versions can join friends easily but have slim loadouts and are more fragile.

Deal with Cmdr death by frantic handwaving...

Last edited:
I accidentally 'fixed' the death thing, when I created 9 x holomes, each with a ship each, and instead of being a cmdr, I became a gang.
Now if one dies, they're dead, & I invent a new character to take their place.

It also explains ship transportation too, as it's not an un=manned ship being delivered, it's a message that's been sent out to [insert character here] to 'come & meet me, I've got a job for you'

Nice head-canon, but not really relevant.
Just as relevant as anyone elses head-canon.

You respawn in your ship because killing your ship because the SRV is destroyed would be stupid - nothing to do with imaginary escape capsules.
Yes it would be stupid as neither your ship or you are destroyed/dead, the lore says your ship picks up your escape capsule.

Likewise, killing your ship because your avatar is destroyed would also be stupid.
I never said your ship was destroyed. I agree that it doesn't make sense.

Hence dying in spacelegs will respawn you in your ship, 100% healthy.
Why. There is no reason why that has to happen. I have given you a perfectly good mechanic that would work fine within the lore of the game.

Not too sure why you seem to have an issue with it.

Something, something, telepresence.

Something, something, medical rocket pants.

In all seriousness though, I've often wondered if telepresence was introduced with Legs-death in mind. Not sure how it'd play out best though. Perhaps having Cmdrs only able to move in 'kill free' zones like High Sec stations, while holo-me versions do the dirty work on planet surfaces?

Personally I kinda like the sound a of a 2 tier system though: Cmdrs in their full loadouts are badass. Telepresence versions can join friends easily but have slim loadouts and are more fragile.

Deal with Cmdr death by frantic handwaving...
I hope telepresence is never used again, ever. It's one of the worst ideas Fdev have come up with and makes a mockery of the in-game lore.

I hope telepresence is never used again, ever. It's one of the worst ideas Fdev have come up with and makes a mockery of the in-game lore.

I dunno. If there are Legs, there will be some form of death mechanic. 'Physical holograms' would buffet my poor immersion gland way less than some other formats.

Ultimately though, we all get along with a totally absurd 'rebirth' mechanic for ships. I'm sure we'll all survive the Legs variant ;)

Top Bottom