Death and Legs

I dunno. If there are Legs, there will be some form of death mechanic. 'Physical holograms' would buffet my poor immersion gland way less than some other formats.

Ultimately though, we all get along with a totally absurd 'rebirth' mechanic for ships. I'm sure we'll all survive the Legs variant ;)
The more there are the worse the game gets. Eventually it may get so bad that I can't play anymore. I don't want to be continuously laughing at how dumb it is while trying to play.

Our consciousness escapes as we watch our bodies being ripped apart and eaten by the Thargoids/cockpit cat. Then we wake up in the cloning vat.

However unrealistic the thing they do is going to be, it's still going to be more popular than perma- death would be. Certainly judging by the threads that sometimes pop up when an SLF pilot dies.

The more there are the worse the game gets. Eventually it may get so bad that I can't play anymore. I don't want to be continuously laughing at how dumb it is while trying to play.

What would your solution be for a Legs death mechanic?

Last edited:
I dunno. If there are Legs, there will be some form of death mechanic. 'Physical holograms' would buffet my poor immersion gland way less than some other formats.
I would prefer just no explanation at all rather than telepresence. I can suspend disbelief for the sake of playing a game, but I can't suspend the knowledge if it's the game lore itself that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Clones could be a good answer though. Your consciousness is always backed up on some hard drive in a cloning facility, and when you die they upload it in a fresh new body. Of course there are fees involved, just like paying insurance for your ship.

But my guess is that they'll let us speculate and come up with answers for ourselves to explain why we always just "wake up" at the nearest station every time we die.

Last edited:
I would prefer just no explanation at all rather than telepresence. I can suspend disbelief for the sake of playing a game, but I can't suspend the knowledge if it's the game lore itself that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Clones could be a good answer though. Your consciousness is always backed up on some hard drive in a cloning facility, and when you die they upload it in a fresh new body. Of course there are fees involved, just like paying insurance for your ship.

But my guess is that they'll let us speculate and come up with answers for ourselves to explain why we always just "wake up" at the nearest station every time we die.

Whatever it is is going to involve some form of instantaneous, physics-breaking behaviour though.

But yeah, I'd be cool with the ole clone switcheroo ;)

It could end up doing something along the lines of Everspace, where your previous ship can be found as wreckage and you play as various clones.

The biggest problem is wreckage instancing in ELITE after the death of a commander, how could that be handled if at all... I agree with the clones... 😉

Would the commander pop up as a search and rescue USS, escape pod etc if at all....

iu

iu

It's a bit gamey don't ya think, no one will find that beleivable

But if you could print a new set of legs ...Hmmmmm ... Now that would work

It helps to remember this is a game.

EVE Online faced the same issue with monoclegate and the ill-fated launch of captain's quarters. If you're not in your pod - where the software to 'beam your knowledge' to a new clone is - what happens when you die? Is there a 'backup' clone in stasis that is never mentioned?

For Elite, I suspect 'death' in space-legs will be akin to death in games like Monster-Hunter. You 'feint' from your injuries and are not actually killed, no longer being a threat. How you are recovered from a pirate stronghold or deep security is an entirely different problem, albeit it's only a lore issue. That's sort of the problem here. We're fretting over lore in a game that mostly gets immersion right but even goofs that on occasion.

Such as explosion in deep space with nobody actively tracking you. Even if you did make it to that pod before the ship went boom:
  • If you were near a star and exploded due to heat, your pod just took a deep dive into a star. That's not recoverable.
  • If you landed too hard, your scrap is sitting on an undiscovered world not transmitting a strong signal to be found.
  • If you're drifting in space, same problem, you'd have to be scanned by a passer-by (in undiscovered space how far from civilization?) and hope said passerby doesn't ignore your signal like all the other signals they ignored along the way.

Point being, 'gamey' works because realism usually does not.

^^^
This.

As I said previously in this thread, "instantaneous" events have a simple explanation, as far as I'm concerned: My commander is in the game universe 24/7. I'm most certainly not. There's plenty of time for "instantaneous" events to happen "off screen," while I play the interesting parts of my Commander's life. Actual official explanations, on the other hand, had better make sense within that same game universe, because a sense of verisimilitude is very important to me.

I agree that the simplest explanation should be that there is no explanation. When you "die" you end up back in the last seat you were in, whether that's an SRV or a ship. Is there a lore mechanic for this? No, it's because you're playing a game. If FD tries to invoke telepresence, or consciousness uploads, or clones, they can go do one. I'm strongly in favour of sticking to the canon and bending suspension of disbelief to near breaking point trying to reconcile as much of it as possible, but even I have my limits. At any point where there should be a passage of time but there isn't e.g. recovery from an SRV crash, or respawning after a rebuy, we need to accept that sometimes a game is just a game.

Having said that, my inner pedant can not let these quotes go...
[...]your ship being lost because you're dead seems a bit daft[...]
Likewise, killing your ship because your avatar is destroyed would also be stupid.
...without pointing out that there is already a situation where you lose a ship when your avatar dies: life support failure. So there is a sort of precedent for this. But in a game as internally inconsistent as ED, I don't think it should bind FD's design choices for similar situations.

For a percentage of the players, a head shot would be ineffective, as Cranium is the densest mineral in the known universe.
For another percentage, a head shot would be a hazard to those in the vicinity, like unveiling a naked singularity.

As for the reality of this.. I suspect we'd wake up in our ships, fresh out of the cloning tube, after a period of time, based on the class of cloning tube.

Class E Cloning Tube: 5 minutes
Class D Cloning Tube: 3 Minutes
Class C Cloning Tube: 1 Minute
Class B Cloning Tube: 30 seconds
Class A Cloning Tube: Immediate

Of course, the Class E will consume the most power and have the largest mass, the Class D will have the least mass, and use only slightly less power. The class C will be completely middle of the road. The Class B will be made of titanium with polycarbonate glass and be able to withstand a direct nuclear strike, while the Class A will have only slightly more mass than the class D, but will run on a 9-volt battery.

Cloning Tubes will also be Engineerable, with Light Weight, Low Power, Armored, and Auto-Start options, and Shielded Special Effect.

They will be unlocked at a Tech Broker on the far side of the galaxy, for 50 Guardian Equipment Blueprints and 50 Thargoid Hydra samples.

And the Engineer who works on these, will require you to reach Triple Elite rank to learn of, and require 100 Leathery Eggs as Tribute to land at their base, somewhere near Sagittarius A*.

Last edited:
It would just be a simple Respawn, probably at your ship.

It would be sweet in my opinion if E: D had lore around cloned bodies and electronic conciousness transferal, but it doesn't so far as I'm aware.
This could work.

There was an ancient 16 bit game called 'autoduel' this was essentially elite with cars, but you did have the ability to get of your car and run around. Not generally recommended, but if you died you where restored a save point and returned as a clone.
The save point was your memory (skill level, rep etc) dump.

A clone mechanic would solve many anomalies for Elite also.

Good idea Drelthar! 👍

Possibly, but it's unlikely you will die there. Depends if it is set price or done per LY like ship transfer.

The reason why you don't die with the SRV is that you are not dead or even injured. You are ejected in your capsule which your ship then picks up, you then spawn in your ship. When you are actually incapacitated when not in you SRV or ship, your ship probably can't pick you up as you are not in your escape capsule.

But they may do it that you are suddenly healed of all your wounds and appear in your ship, but I certainly hope not. That would be a bit crap.
Low gravity + Anything = Accidents

Also, your ship probably has an Infirmary onboard. How one gets back there after experiencing Sag A* on foot is beyond me.

Way back in the mists of time, possibly even before the game was released, I asked a similar question. I wondered what would happen if while out big game hunting dinosaurs, the dinosaurs prevailed? I got no answer. Most players seemed happy enough with the 'magic' escape pod despite it not making any sense in the potential future scenario I described. I mentioned cloning only to be answered by wails of 'that's too much like Eve' from other players.

I've given up al hope of a properly immersive in game solution. My guess would be wake up back in the ship or possibly in a hospital on a station. depending on the circumstances

Maybe legs will be full ironman.

Alternatively, they'll be indestructible like Fleet Carriers.

Lt. Dan magic legs confirmed , heard it here first folks .... i would imagine the boffins behind the scenes would think of stuff like this IF it actually is spacelegs which is coming (still have my doubts and hopes).. perhaps it'll all be handwaved away with a holo me running around , perhaps not.

Top Bottom