Death and Legs

Your Remlock just walks you back to a doctor, Iron Man style.

I mean, those things are already the most magical bit of kit we've got anyway.

If you doubt this, ever lost your canopy and not die instantly to the ship class weapon hitting your head?

Clones are in cannon.

I hope we can engineer them to have force shell.

Human+Cannonball.JPG

Frontier has listened
Frontier understands the need for realism in handling character death
So as of the spacelegs update, anytime your CMDR dies while walking around outside their ship, one of the community managers will come by your house and...

Hmmm, maybe taking it a step too far 🤔
I'd stick with respawns

Which, IIRC, need to be gestated, raised, educated, and trained... a process that can take over 20 years to finish. They’re not “xerox” type clones that come out of a machine, but “identical twin” type clones, who just happen to have been “born” years apart.
I was responding to the previous poster who said among other things that he "didnt feel that clones fit within the elite universe" i was not responding to the op. i made a lengthy response to the op beforehand so if you would like to see what my theory is its a page or two back.

I would have it that you wake up in the nearest infirmary if you die on foot. You will have to pay for hospital and ship towage fees. If you don't your ship is impounded.

If your SRV gets destroyed and you have the space legs expansion, have it that you eject which then soft touches you down on the planets, then you can call your ship like you could in the SRV. If you die after ejection while not in your ship, see above.

Also, would be nice to not have exclusively explosive death in ships and srvs

I was responding to the previous poster who said among other things that he "didnt feel that clones fit within the elite universe" i was not responding to the op. i made a lengthy response to the op beforehand so if you would like to see what my theory is its a page or two back.
I know. I just wanted to clarify that while clones may be canon, the type of clone in the Elite Universe, to the best of my knowledge, isn't the "instant replica, just add water," type of clone of softer sci-fi, but the "identical twin" type of clone of harder sci-fi.

I'm perfectly content with the idea that as long as you have the money, human beings can recover from even the most grievous injuries as long as the brain isn't dead, and that our Remlocks, Pilots' Federation class escape pods, and some other current technologies are very good at keeping the brain intact enough for recovery.

I’m sticking with Robots.

“After centuries of experimentation with exotic, eccentric, and downright bizarre forms of remote-piloted drones, the most intuitive, user-friendly, and ultimately successful solution was anthropoid. The invention of the Robo-Me enabled citizen pilots to access the most hazardous environments from the comfort of their cockpit, ushering in a new era of EVA-driven grind.”

Me: makes thoroughly planned out assessment that is perfectly consistent with established universe to answer a complicated question

This forum: hur dudur he said cannon hur hur

FarNeedyFennecfox-mobile.jpg

Clones are in cannon.
They are, but AFAIK consciousness and memory storage and retrieval isn't. Personally I hope it never is, partly for the reasons already mentioned but also because its presence would fundamentally alter the relationship between humans and the galaxy. Why would corporations engage the services of individual Han Solo-esque owner-operators when they could have a loyal army of top couiers' or assassins' consciousnesses on tap, ready to be uploaded into clones and sent off on missions? They wouldn't even need to pay them; they could just kill the copies once they'd completed their mission. No pesky memories of earlier betrayals to get in the way...

They are, but AFAIK consciousness and memory storage and retrieval isn't. Personally I hope it never is, partly for the reasons already mentioned but also because its presence would fundamentally alter the relationship between humans and the galaxy. Why would corporations engage the services of individual Han Solo-esque owner-operators when they could have a loyal army of top couiers' or assassins' consciousnesses on tap, ready to be uploaded into clones and sent off on missions? They wouldn't even need to pay them; they could just kill the copies once they'd completed their mission. No pesky memories of earlier betrayals to get in the way...

Actually conscious storage and memory retrieval is in the lore. In at least 2 novels I've read they both have been used. In one book there is a character that is rumored but never confirmed to have cloned himself and had his consciousness transferred to the clones over the years to essentially make him immortal. He is rumored to be hundreds of years old. In drew wagars books 3 of the characters are clones. 1 of which tries to "steal" the body of another by transferring her conscience. Also Prantav Antal has a big super computer to store the consciousness of the dead.

For the record I dont think were clones. I think we were probably revived by a revival pod.

The book I'm specifically referring to is called Wanted. It's about a bounty hunter and she uses the holographic versions of herself to look for information in starports about her target without putting herself directly in danger. Reclamation and premonition also have a couple of brief scenes that show drones displaying holograms though not in that same way but could still support the idea it could be used in this way.

I also cite from the books that its entirely possible we could all be clones or at the very least our bodies are recovered and put into a restoration Pod like in reclamation. As far as how our bodies could be recovered the books also have worker drones (auto mechs) that arrange cargo canisters on their own and there are also mentions of medical drones as well. At the very least you could say if you die on a planet the ship senses you flatlined. Deploys and an automech to recover your body and places you in a revival pod. All of that is already possible with the current existing cannon.

Scenario:
You and friends are boarding another players vessel, to which that defending player:
  1. Lags out
  2. quits
  3. Dies
That "other players vessel" is the arena you and your mates are instanced in.
So does it lag, twitch around, rubber band, disappear?

Networking sensibilities.
The player's ship becomes the temporary property of that Instance and the Background Sim Server (not the player's client).
This will maintain the stability of the "arena" that everyone is playing in.

That player's ship ownership is "disputed" as it's a part of yours and your friend's "instance" (as is your own ship ;) ).
Much like Battlefield or many online First Person shooters.
Players will respawn at a designated "safe-spawn point", on their vessel.
And there is a control point ( a flag) to occupy and capture to let one team "win" and the other team "loose".
Unless the Ship is scuttled by the defending player.

In the event of Death :
The losing players are forced to respawn at the nearest "safe place", back in their own ship, or a station if they just lost the occupancy of their own ship.
The winning players keep the ship in "their" instance, having won it.

In the event of Combat logging: By Default, your ship is left behind in the attacking player's instance.

Actually conscious storage and memory retrieval is in the lore. In at least 2 novels I've read they both have been used. In one book there is a character that is rumored but never confirmed to have cloned himself and had his consciousness transferred to the clones over the years to essentially make him immortal. He is rumored to be hundreds of years old. In drew wagars books 3 of the characters are clones. 1 of which tries to "steal" the body of another by transferring her conscience. Also Prantav Antal has a big super computer to store the consciousness of the dead.
I'm not convinced by the Sim Archive. That seems to be a repository for collective memory rather than individual personalities, more akin to Peter Hamilton's Edenist technology than, say, Cylon resurrection ships.

But you're right about Octavia's pod, which I'd completely forgotten about. A one-off macguffin rather than established background technology, but it is indeed there and if FD want to expand on it as part of an explanation for spacelegs it's certainly one option. Maybe combined with a variant on Antal's tech.

(If they did do this I'd have to ignore it because I'd hate it. But I can only ignore what I acknowledge, so thanks for the memory jog. 😉)

Top Bottom