Death: lose all exploration data but keep all encoded materials. Why?

I’ve never quite understood that - how come I get to keep all of one but none of the other? Encoded materials aren’t really materials, they’re data packets stored on the ship. So is exploration data, right?

If anything (and no I don’t wanted to give fdev ideas here) you should lose all your materials when your ship is blown up but keep exploration and encoded/scanned data.

The SRV apparently also has a built-in refinery that can teleport mats to your ship's hold. I'd love for these discrepanceis to be smoothed over in later updates but hey, it's just a game.

FD pretty much needs to create a reference card on what you lose and what you don't upon kaboom.

Onboard SLF pilot: dead
Credits: preserved
Navigation data: lost
Materials: preserved
Ship and outfitting: depends on your bank balance
Missions: depends on mission terms
Cargo: lost
Ranks/progress: preserved

What am I missing? :) See why a reference card is needed?

Because nobody at Frontier has yet tried to fix all the consistency problems caused by the vision shift of mid 2015.
This is the truth .... along with "teleprescence" :confused:

Edit - something odd happened to the quote, but as it happens, the right parts were selected !

losing engineer materials would hurt a hell of a lot more than losing exploration data.

Oh but I sure do. Getting materials is most of the time a pain in the rear. Exploration data is just credits, and credits are very easy to replace.
Not only does navigation data payments go out the door, but don't the actual scans go too? So you gotta rescan them if, for example, you were scouting potential mining locations. This point I'm not sure about (back to the reference card!).

If you want a real answer: Because ED used to be a difficult game where ship destruction was actually something really bad and could throw you back for weeks, if not months of playtime. Later, ED got softer and more beginner friendly, making it easy to overcome ship destruction. At that time engineers and materials have been added and due to the soft nature of Elite now, materials can not be lost.

if you want my personal answer. Because screw you and git gud btw.

Top Bottom