Game Discussions Death Stranding

(On PS4) Got in on launch night and spent a huuuge amount of time ferrying materials for the road building (and got an enormous amount of likes for it) but then when checking to see whose name was credited to it, it was another player. I get that in a massive multiplayer-ish game individual players can't hog everything, but surely if I supply all the materials for an item in my instance, I should at least see my name on it? That and the constant damage/corrosion makes it all feel a bit wasted.

Anywho. The 'walking simulator' line is a bit overdone IMO, the bike is good, and path-finding across difficult terrain was good fun, plus wearing down paths so they became easier on repeat runs; and having to keep an eye on the weather and degradation added to the 'mood'.

But what the Jesus hell were they thinking with the canned animations playing over and over (I'm talking about the "pick up parcel" / "drop off parcel" animations that played EVERY single time). How many hundreds of times can you watch an identical animation, without thinking "I didn't even want to watch this the first time"?

I've had this on PS4 for a while. Fantastic graphics, amazing atmosphere, superb sound, the first hour or so is absolutely brilliant. Stylistically it's incredible.

Then the walking kicks in, and you fall over. A lot.

So I haven't really got past that yet. Won't be buying it for PC.

Man, I hate the title so much. It's the kind of gibberish you get when you pick cool-sounding words in a language you don't speak.

Death Stranding is what happens when you give a self styled dreamer who's only prominent feature is utter hubris free reign on designing a product....I'd make comparisons with Star Citizen here but since Death Stranding is a released and somewhat successful title, the comparisons are meaningless.

Let's hope Kojima and CRobbers never get together and decide to start a project...

In the light of Sonys new 'Lets get those games out on PC we selfishly made Playstation exclusive' phase...let's hope that Ghosts of Tsushima doesn't take 3 years to appear on PC...Now that game could rock Ubisofts Assassins Creed franchise to it's core...

It would also be an instant pre-order/purchase for me, not to mention saving me from buying a PS4 pro/PS5 just to play it :)

As an aside...it seems the folks on Steam like Death Stranding...mostly positive reviews... including my favourite :D

Steam 16_07_2020 06_24_17.png

Last edited:
Even though I admit I feel somewhat intrigued by seeing Darryl backpacking though iceland, I'm still not convinced about the actual game.

Perhaps in a few years during a big sale.

Even though I admit I feel somewhat intrigued by seeing Darryl backpacking though iceland, I'm still not convinced about the actual game.

Perhaps in a few years during a big sale.
After me doing all the slagging it off...I went ahead and bought it :rolleyes:

I was watching a vid from someone who isn't Kojima san's biggest fan...he was confused about the game but awestruck by it's beauty...as much as videos of games are entertaining, I normally don't use them as a measuiring stick to see if a game has merit...well, this one intrigued me enough for me to get curious anyway :D

After playing it for a few hours I remain resolutely stunned...what the actual * is going on here?...Any more cutscenes and it would be a movie with a very bad script...

I dont think even Kojima knows what the game is about :p Presume that is part of the charm.

Kojima checklist:

Cutscenes - Check!
Very literal names - "Deadman", "Heartman", "Fragile"? That's a check!
Cutscenes - Check!
Masks - Check!
More cutscenes - Check!
Sad, moody music - Check!
I hear you like cutscenes, bro - Check!
Evil guy floating, somehow - Check!
I can't believe this isn't a cutscene - Check!
Indecipherable, meandering plot - Check!
...explained poorly in an indecipherable, meandering end-of-game cutscene! - Check, and mate!

Got it on release on PS4. One of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. I was completely immersed in the fantastic first chapter, roleplaying my way through. Took me many hours just the first chapter. I was making these impossible trails high in the mountain sides by building intricate networks of ladders and ropes, to avoid the BT's(yeh, I know they are not much of a threat in game, but I was roleplaying :geek:). I had these epic treks across the land, where getting to my destination and delivering the much needed supplies was a very rewarding experience.

Sadly it all ended.. The whole magic-umbrella fast travel completely ruined it for me and I haven't been able to continue past that..(lol)
Yes. It completely breaks story and setting 🤬 Why couldn't they just add a normal fast travel where your character supposedly travel and time passes, instead of this story breaking magic gimmick. And better yet, add a realism mode where there is no such thing or mention of it.

So, yeah... they build up this extreme world where travelling from place to place is supposedly incredible hard, where people rarely meet anyone outside their colony/outpost, and where any journey takes these highly trained individuals to make it. But hey! "Let's add this device that let you instantly teleport anywhere a similar device is.. and make sure to include it in the story" Oh fffs 🤦‍♀️

The whole experience was like reading this very good book with a great medieval setting, and then out of nowhere the author decides to add an airplane in there.. 🤷‍♀️

Heh, don't insult Kojima by comparing him to Crobber, because Kojima actually know what games he made or want to make, sure he has a very convoluted story telling coupled with so many anime tropes in his writing but the general points of his stories actually make sense... and the man is actually unrivaled at delivering unique and bizarre yet stylish and captivating visual story telling compared to the rest in gaming world.

Just take cutscenes from metal gear games or this game and compare that to other games even from highly praised devs like CDPR, naughty dog, or sucker punch, and etc they looks generic in comparison.

And don't mistake him for cinematic only, no actual gameplay innovation/nuance/immersion kind of video game dev either, the mgs series revolutionized several things in stealth action genre, mgsv have a very great gameplay mechanics even when compared to the broader 3rd person action genre. And now DS itself have a polished and enjoyable walking/couriering on foot mechanic, and that is kinda never been done before in AAA level, you certainly can't say the same with the rest of AAA games where everything are derivative from shooter or hack and slash games.

Last edited:
Heh, don't insult Kojima by comparing him to Crobber, because Kojima actually know what games he made or want to make, sure he has a very convoluted story telling coupled with so many anime tropes in his writing but the general points of his stories actually make sense... and the man is actually unrivaled at delivering unique and bizarre yet stylish and captivating visual story telling compared to the rest in gaming world.

Just take cutscenes from metal gear games or this game and compare that to other games even from highly praised devs like CDPR, naughty dog, or sucker punch, and etc they looks generic in comparison.

And don't mistake him for cinematic only, no actual gameplay innovation/nuance/immersion kind of video game dev either, the mgs series revolutionized several things in stealth action genre, mgsv have a very great gameplay mechanics even when compared to the broader 3rd person action genre. And now DS itself have a polished and enjoyable walking/couriering on foot mechanic, and that is kinda never been done before in AAA level, you certainly can't say the same with the rest of AAA games where everything are derivative from shooter or hack and slash games.
Death Stranding is certainly completely pretentious...I'll give you that ;)

Top Bottom