Decisions, decisions..

Hello Commanders!

I’m planning on my second big exploration Tour, after the 70.000Ly+ journey to the Core and back via Colonia. This time I planned to circumnavigate our wonderful galaxy and reach beagle point to then head home through the upper neutronstar-fields.

For that, id thought about letting my 55ly Asp Explorer, the „Northern Merdidian“ retire and have a look at the available options on replacing her. I’ve spend some time to make her suit my needs and I wouldn’t mind undergoing another excessive engineering process, if that would be, what it takes to make another ship „mine“.

Here are some of the ships that I considered and I’d love to hear your thoughts on these:

Python

I’ve flown one for a while now for various roles across the bubble and I’d love to see what its capable of, as a long range exploration vessel. I’m just a bit afraid that after 25.000Ly I’ll realize how bored I actually am of the interieur. It IS quiet rustic.

Orca

I’ve always liked the look of the Saud Kruger ships and the Orca seems the most profound of the three. I love the hightech-y cockpit and the sleek design. I heard the Dolphin handles the best in SC out of all ships in E:D, does the Orca come close? The only thing that keeps me from choosing it, is the restriction of 2 Internal slots, which seems awfully wasteful, as I’m not planning on taking any passengers with me. Any thoughts on this one? I’d even have a Grade5 FSD ready and waiting from my ASP already.

Anaconda

The boring, „mainstream“ Option. Yeah, I’ll call it as it is, it’d be the obvious choice, if I really wouldn’t want to compromise on what to take and what to leave. Enough internal space, crazy jumprange, but that sluggish SC handling is actually somewhat of a dealbreaker. Plus the awful view from the cockpit. it’s the last option, if everyone who is reading this starts screaming „NOOOO, ALL YOUR OTHER OPTIONS ARE HORRIBLE!“

Clipper

I’m probably not the first one to consider this, but the clipper would really look great on top of the galactic plane, i think. I guess it’d have enough internal space, for an explorer and a class 7 scoop sounds pretty great, considering how much I loved the quick class 6 scoop on my Asp. My only issue would be, if the jump range woulöd be good enough the cross the abyss.

Asp Explorer

I’m aware that I am currently sitting in a darn good exploration ship, and maybe I shouldn’t even look further. I consider doing this trip in my asp as well, but I created this thread to look over my options and get a few fresh points of view and thoughts on how to go for it.

Feel free to give me your opinion or tell me if you think I should consider another ship, that I didn’t until now. :)

07 and thanks in advance! See you out there.

Cmdr Gruenesmaenchen

Last edited:
I would vote for the Clipper. Best cockpit, best engine sound, handles great is SC, amazing fuel scoop. Engineered Clipper should have no problems crossing the Abyss. I crossed it with my 25ly Python during DW1.

...currently i am debating with myself which ship to take to DW2: Clipper or the Cutter?

Welcome!

I heard the Dolphin handles the best in SC out of all ships in ED, does the Orca come close?
Actually, the best supercruise handling award goes to the Sidewinder :D You can see data on this here.

As for your other choices, let's see...
I'll leave the Asp and Anaconda out, because they are the obvious and boring less interesting choices. So it's the Clipper, Orca, Python. Personally, I'd pick these in this order. Why? You aren't going to minmax your jump range, and all of these ships can easily have enough jump range to reach Beagle Point. I believe all of them could reach Semotus Beacon too, but not entirely sure about the Python on that end.

So, out of your choices, the Clipper:
- handles the best in supercruise (flies like a small ship there)
- has the best max fuel scoop / FSD class ratio (in the whole game, too)
- is roughly tied with the Orca when it comes to forward speed
- looks the best out of these choices, both from the inside and the outside - although this is just my personal opinion

The Orca does have better jump range than the Clipper, but not by all that much. Can't really go wrong with it either though, but I'd say that if you're not gunning for jump range, why not go with the Clipper that's the strongest in other aspects?
Meanwhile, the only thing that the Python has going for it is that it has one more internal slot than the Clipper (which has plenty enough already), and can land on medium pads.

Also, I'd recommend considering the Imperial Courier, the Dolphin and the Diamondback Explorer too, although the latter is an usual choice as well.

Last edited:
The Python is a very strong candidate as well. It doesn't have a size-7 slot like the Clipper, but it does permit a very robust build, and has a slightly longer jump range with a similar exploration config. The Python also has one additional slot, so if you choose, you can have 2x AFMU and repair limpets.

Some sample templates, using the 2.4 engineering:

Clipper (38 ly)

Python (42 ly)

I was pretty happy with my Python-explorer. What got me to switch off of it, was the T7 getting some buffs to mostly match the Python's capability as an exploration ship, and it has those nice Lakon cockpit views. My previous python build here.

Last edited:
...currently i am debating with myself which ship to take to DW2: Clipper or the Cutter?
I'm really tempted by the Cutter, despite the 2 biggest flaws for me; sluggish SC handling and poor cockpit view. However I think taking a SLF and SRV could keep me out the cockpit long enough so that I could endure it for nigh on 200Kly.

From your post, I feel that you want to take the Asp X out more than anything and are just looking for reassurance that you are choosing correctly. Here is your reassurance...

...Asp Explorer or go home...

Decisions, decisions..

Hello Commanders!

I’m planning on my second big exploration Tour, after the 70.000Ly+ journey to the Core and back via Colonia. This time I planned to circumnavigate our wonderful galaxy and reach beagle point to then head home through the upper neutronstar-fields.

For that, id thought about letting my 55ly Asp Explorer, the „Northern Merdidian“ retire and have a look at the available options on replacing her. I’ve spend some time to make her suit my needs and I wouldn’t mind undergoing another excessive engineering process, if that would be, what it takes to make another ship „mine“.

Here are some of the ships that I considered and I’d love to hear your thoughts on these:

Python

I’ve flown one for a while now for various roles across the bubble and I’d love to see what its capable of, as a long range exploration vessel. I’m just a bit afraid that after 25.000Ly I’ll realize how bored I actually am of the interieur. It IS quiet rustic.

Orca

I’ve always liked the look of the Saud Kruger ships and the Orca seems the most profound of the three. I love the hightech-y cockpit and the sleek design. I heard the Dolphin handles the best in SC out of all ships in E:D, does the Orca come close? The only thing that keeps me from choosing it, is the restriction of 2 Internal slots, which seems awfully wasteful, as I’m not planning on taking any passengers with me. Any thoughts on this one? I’d even have a Grade5 FSD ready and waiting from my ASP already.

Anaconda

The boring, „mainstream“ Option. Yeah, I’ll call it as it is, it’d be the obvious choice, if I really wouldn’t want to compromise on what to take and what to leave. Enough internal space, crazy jumprange, but that sluggish SC handling is actually somewhat of a dealbreaker. Plus the awful view from the cockpit. it’s the last option, if everyone who is reading this starts screaming „NOOOO, ALL YOUR OTHER OPTIONS ARE HORRIBLE!“

Clipper

I’m probably not the first one to consider this, but the clipper would really look great on top of the galactic plane, i think. I guess it’d have enough internal space, for an explorer and a class 7 scoop sounds pretty great, considering how much I loved the quick class 6 scoop on my Asp. My only issue would be, if the jump range woulöd be good enough the cross the abyss.

Asp Explorer

I’m aware that I am currently sitting in a darn good exploration ship, and maybe I shouldn’t even look further. I consider doing this trip in my asp as well, but I created this thread to look over my options and get a few fresh points of view and thoughts on how to go for it.

Feel free to give me your opinion or tell me if you think I should consider another ship, that I didn’t until now. :)

07 and thanks in advance! See you out there.

Cmdr Gruenesmaenchen

IF the Oeca is anything like the Beluga the forced compartments are not just for passanger cabins but you can also use module/hull reinforcements and cargo racks.

I have flown two Saud Kruger ships and i have been very pleased with them although none of them were used for the same purpose as you are going to use The Orca. One thing regarding The Orca is that it can be very fast. I think i a friend of mine engineered his speed up to atleast 500 m/s when boosting (if i'm not misstaken that is).

Also "woulöd", are you Swedish or Finnish?

First of all thanks for the quick and helpful responses, you guys are great! :)

Almost four Hours later and after doing a bit of research and visiting some engineers I am sitting in an 35Ly Clipper that suits my needs pretty well. :)

I was surprised, that I had all the materials needed and I was able to get all upgrades that I planned on doing in one run, without any farming. I'm glad frontier implemented to mats dealer! I planned the whole Sunday for that. lol

So now I'll do a small sub-5kLy "Test exploration" Tour with the clipper to see, if i like the "feeling" of it. If i dont, the Python or the Orca are next, lets see.

and @Azreh Helas Nope, I'm german :)

This topic hits home, especially today. I just spent 100M credits on ships, deciding what ship I want to do a long trip in.

So far I’ve tried:

1) Cutter, I have 28.5 LY, 490 m/s boost, and everything inside it, including 3000mj shields.
This is my main ship, called RAZA and I just adore her!!!

i bought /sold/ crashed/ fought with the following today:
DBE, Cobra MKIII, Cobra MKIV, FDL, Python, Clipper, Chieftain, ASPE, Courier, Conda, and Corvette.

For reference i bought a new monitor, the 49 inch Samsung gaming monitor and it changes the cockpits greatly. I will not debate VR vs this monitor. I tried them all and this monitor suits me better.

For planet side speed and joy of 50m off the deck flying, I like both the ASP-E and Clipper. FA off planet side at 476 m/s a great fun. But, the clipper at 577 m/s is better. Both ships drift, but, both are controllable with boosting. The Cutter can run hard here too, but, doesn’t have the control feels like the other two.

Jump range, I’m still deciding what is needed. Over 30 for sure. But, many can get that far. But, the Chieftain surprised me with how low it’s jump range is (I know combat ship).

For reference, I did SAG-A in a 27.5 LY Conda when the game first came out. And remember thinking, I needed more range for the get home itis!

So now I'll do a small sub-5kLy "Test exploration" Tour with the clipper to see, if i like the "feeling" of it. If i dont, the Python or the Orca are next, lets see.

About 300kly or so into my current trip and I'm loving my Clipper - but liking the feel of it is key for an exploration ship.

I would sound a note of caution about the Clipper: they are fragile ships. Lovely, but delicate, like giant metal flowers crushed on the powdery snow of a far-flung iceball.

I've been to Beagle Point and Oevasy SG-Y d0 in my Asp Explorer and all the way around the eastern rim. In 130k LY or so over the last 5 months I've only taken damage like once within the first 5k because you do stupid stuff when you're starting an exploration trip. I don't see why anyone would want anything else but you do you.

Actually, that's simple. The Clipper has weak shields, and a lot of momentum. Hence, colliding with planets is almost certainly going to get you damaged. So while it feels great to fly, you have to be careful and mind your surroundings.

Contrast to the Courier, which can go even faster than a Clipper, but has much less inertia, better acceleration (and deceleration), directional thrusters, and surprisingly powerful shields. As such, it can survive a glancing collision at high speed even without the shield dropping, whereas a Clipper is going to take damage. (Especially if you take 3D shields.) You have much less room for error. While it can go fast, it is not a small ship.

Also, another thing I forgot to add. Out of all the choices here, the Clipper is the only ship that you could refit to be effective at PvP combat, and the Anaconda is the best at fighting Thargoids. Personally, I think it's good to consider these, so that you can use your ship for other stuff even if you decide that you don't really like it for exploration.

Last edited:
Actually, that's simple. The Clipper has weak shields, and a lot of momentum. Hence, colliding with planets is almost certainly going to get you damaged. So while it feels great to fly, you have to be careful and mind your surroundings.

Contrast to the Courier, which can go even faster than a Clipper, but has much less inertia, better acceleration (and deceleration), directional thrusters, and surprisingly powerful shields. As such, it can survive a glancing collision at high speed even without the shield dropping, whereas a Clipper is going to take damage. (Especially if you take 3D shields.) You have much less room for error. While it can go fast, it is not a small ship.

Also, another thing I forgot to add. Out of all the choices here, the Clipper is the only ship that you could refit to be effective at PvP combat, and the Anaconda is the best at fighting Thargoids. Personally, I think it's good to consider these, so that you can use your ship for other stuff even if you decide that you don't really like it for exploration.

Yeah. Some might not like the view, but I would prefer the Courier over the Clipper. I finished engineering mine, but havent taken it to any real trip yet.

I does 36.x LYs on a full tank, boost to 836 m/s and has 296 MJ shields. With a grade 3 low emissions PP (2A), I dont have any heat issues.

Last edited:
Surprised to see no DBE option there. Just made a 62ly capable one. Great exploration ships. Agile Fast and Superb planetary ships. Excellent SC maneouverability too.

Surprised to see no DBE option there. Just made a 62ly capable one. Great exploration ships. Agile Fast and Superb planetary ships. Excellent SC maneouverability too.

Hm, either you are quoting the range with an empty tank, which is not a good number to compare I feel, or you are missing some pretty important modules ;)

Top Bottom