Demographics: What's the average CMDR age?

I was watching several videos about Elite and others about how to get a proper gaming seat, etc. And I noticed that most (not all) of the people making videos were above 35 years of age, even 40. This is a little higher than the estimated average age of the gamer of about 31 yo.

Anyone knows if this is real or it is just a biased observation from me? Are there demographic data about Elite players?
The average age is 50!
Because we have people playing this game from 0 to 100! And NO, they don't respect the PEGI!

My age is irrelevant the moment I load the game and slip on my HMD. I’m ten or eleven again only this time round my dreams came true and I’m inside a game that fires my imagination like only books had done previously.

My actual age requires me to suspend my disbelief in a way the ten/eleven year old me wouldn’t understand but it’s easy enough to do in-game, in-forum slightly less easy ;)

I’m 45. Tried to play the original on my Dad’s ‘God knows what’ (he had a Dragon 32 for a while but I think Elite was on his Amstrad somethingorother) but it was hard to ever shift him - my memories are a constant loop of him attempting to dock; just gently rolling and rolling before crashing as spectacularly as you can with wire frame graphics. He may have been my first experience of rage-quitting😁. I missed the subsequent games as I discovered bad influences, a propensity for teenage rebellion, followed by Uni which was much the same but camouflaged by talking earnestly (to girls I liked) about things I didn’t fully understand (but they probably did.) Eventually I left, got a job, grew up and only then got into gaming again - some fifteen to twenty years after last playing Chuckie Egg, Spy vs Spy or Way of the Exploding Fist.

My final admission is that I bought the game on Steam around 2016 but took two years to actually load it up and get going....how much money did I waste in CoD games in that time?

I am a 51 year old class of ‘84 er. Bought Elite the day it arrived in the local shop (imagine that! A shop with, you know, real things in it..) and still have the receipt for fifteen quid that seemed like a small fortune at the time. Became Elite about 3 months later, if I remember rightly, still got the letter and everything.

I have purchased exactly two games since then. One was “Frontier”, and the other is Elite Dangerous, obviously.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
I'm 65, 66 in October, and used to watch my husband play the original game when it first came out on the BBC computer. When he told me about the Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous I just had to get involved. Although I had never played myself at the time, during the intervening years I had been playing WW2 combat sims (Air Warrior and Aces High) so had got used to 'flying' and already had full HOTAS and rudder pedals. :)

Top Bottom