General / Off-Topic Denis Villeneuve's Dune

My home screen is large enough, and couch is way more comfy than those in theatres, that I won't go to the way overpriced cinema.
PauseToPee is awesome too.

My home screen is large enough, and couch is way more comfy than those in theatres, that I won't go to the way overpriced cinema.
PauseToPee is awesome too.

Agreed.

I used to love going to the theater, but now that I've made my own mini-theater at home I could never go back :)

It's interesting how similar House Atrides' hawk logo is to Elite's Empire logo. Maybe Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval is related :)

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 188
I know that Villeneuve has the creative chops to pull this off, but my enthusiasm remains tempered until we see whether Herbert's highly polarizing themes are adapted for 2020 wokeness sensibilities.

Curious: who among you will go watch this in a theater? Show of hands!👋
I won’t for many reasons, however I am excited to see it on my alternative channel.

Mmm... really interesting cast.

Jason Momoa as Duncan and Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck and Zendaya as Chani and many other great ones
Sorry for Stellan Skarsgård, such likable actor playing the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

I just hope they keep really close to the book and not taking Hollywood and/or "artistic liberties"

The music track is hideous on the trailer. Really put me off.

I also don't get the ethereal feel Lynch had with his version yet either. But it is a tiny slice of the film so I'll temper my views until I see it.

you got that as a reminiscent buzz from Twin Peaks.
Lynch's Dune had Sting in metal underwear

Edit: although i had to admit the floating Harkonnen was good

Lynch nailed the bizarre feel 100%, Jodorowsky's Dune would have been this abstract brutal take as well. Denis here has nailed....not a lot so far. Its far too muted and generic for my liking, although the ship designs are great (the ornithopter mainly).

Too bad we will never know :(
Such a pity, but i think there was a silver lining attached to that. We got Alien instead

From what I understand it seeded Star Wars, Alien and sci fi to come which is a shame as I wanted to see a Dali Emperor.

Frank Herbert's Dune was a not as bizarre as Lynch made it to be.
He went really overboard in a rather bizarre and confusing way (God, i love that word 🤪 )

I get that, but I go to the cinema to be dazzled. Lynch took Dune and made it a N. European technofeudal nightmare with an edge to at least set it apart from other films of the time.

Examples: the cold Navigator Guild report- sets the tone really well. Lynch uses projected abstract patterns and effects to create an alternate visual look in VDUs in the film. Costumes are great too.

I won't argue Lynch is perfect because its not. But visually it can't be faulted in set design. I mean, Pauls home and its sumptuous wooden decor, Shaddams palace- spot on. In the book I always imagined the houses having strong Mediterranean influences in colour and design, Arrakis much like Afghan culture- its here where Jodorowskys use of colour comes in.

I mean, it blew my mind with this sort of design:

The Navigator is dodgy, but the shuttles, mausoleum like Heighliner, funeral march like procession set the tone as it should.

But I get none of that with this trailer. I obviously need to see more but its a bit 'meh' so far.

Lynch nailed the bizarre feel 100%, Jodorowsky's Dune would have been this abstract brutal take as well. Denis here has nailed....not a lot so far. Its far too muted and generic for my liking, although the ship designs are great (the ornithopter mainly).

I liked the shield fighting, they've gone for a grubby utilitarian approach with the switch on the back of the hand. Usually a good sign for sci-fi.

Also nice ornithopters.

posted this in the wrong thread earlier, haha

anyway, it's gonna be interesting to see how they pull it off given how notoriously difficult Dune is to translate to any other medium thanks to Frank Herbert's "how many layers of worldbuilding are you on" style.

From what I understand it seeded Star Wars, Alien and sci fi to come which is a shame as I wanted to see a Dali Emperor.

I get that, but I go to the cinema to be dazzled. Lynch took Dune and made it a N. European technofeudal nightmare with an edge to at least set it apart from other films of the time.

Examples: the cold Navigator Guild report- sets the tone really well. Lynch uses projected abstract patterns and effects to create an alternate visual look in VDUs in the film. Costumes are great too.

I won't argue Lynch is perfect because its not. But visually it can't be faulted in set design. I mean, Pauls home and its sumptuous wooden decor, Shaddams palace- spot on. In the book I always imagined the houses having strong Mediterranean influences in colour and design, Arrakis much like Afghan culture- its here where Jodorowskys use of colour comes in.

I mean, it blew my mind with this sort of design:

The Navigator is dodgy, but the shuttles, mausoleum like Heighliner, funeral march like procession set the tone as it should.

But I get none of that with this trailer. I obviously need to see more but its a bit 'meh' so far.

Unfortunately, i've read books before seeing the Lynch's version.
And his vision was waaaay too different from the images put in my mind by Mr. Herbert.

With the Expanse, it was the Other way around - i watched the first 3 seasons, then i read the first book.
And while reading the book i had a one single minor disappointment with the movie... that they cast Bobbie Draper as Frankie Adams instead of... let's say... mmm... Mackenzie Davis

Last edited:
Unfortunately, i've read books before seeing the Lynch's version.
And his vision was waaaay too different from the images put in my mind by Mr. Herbert.

With the Expanse, it was the Other way around - i watched the first 3 seasons, then i read the first book.
And while reading the book i had a one single minor disappointment with the movie... that they cast as Bobbie Draper Frankie Adams instead of... let's say... mmm... Mackenzie Davis

I played the board game of Dune which made me read the book and then I watched the film :D It made me realise that Dune is unfilmable because of its dense narrative, not its visuals. For me at least cinema is a canvas to challenge the senses and push concepts to their limits- 8000 years into the future I want to see concepts to push that. The TV series made a great attempt and I only wish that it was being made now with a budget to match.

As far as the Expanse, it helps when the authors help write the scripts- and its a rare case where the TV series is better than the books that sag in places. Saying that, I'm waiting for the last book to come out, and I look forward to Amazon adapting Nemesis Games and Babylons Ashes.

What was that quote?
'If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullcrap.'

😂

True! My other guilty pleasure is the Chronicles of Riddick, for me the design of the Necromonger fleet and the general feel of the film (which has strong Mediterranean / N. African visual cues) which sets it apart from 'grounded' sci fi which for the most part has been done to death starting with Alien and its realistic looks. I suppose my brain has been subtly changed by reading comics by Jodorowsky which really do go 'out there' :D

Top Bottom