General / Off-Topic Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Doesn't open here until next month but I doubt there will be spoilers as I've read the series of books (up to Chapter House Dune) any number of times....

I think spoilers in this case would be the visuals and characterization, which (the former at least) Villeneuve does really, really well.

I try not to have any expectations. (one more month till is launched here too, apparently)
I do love the books but, imo no movie or series did them any justice.

The vague noises from the preview reviews have me hopeful that the film will be successful enough to get Part 2 made (and hopefully Villeneuve’s Dune Messiah, which he has mentioned he wants to make as the third film) but I worry worry worry 😅

It’ll be the first film I’ve seen at the cinema since the pandemic started, so I’m hoping it breaks my fast in spectacular fashion!

The vague noises from the preview reviews have me hopeful that the film will be successful enough to get Part 2 made (and hopefully Villeneuve’s Dune Messiah, which he has mentioned he wants to make as the third film) but I worry worry worry 😅

It’ll be the first film I’ve seen at the cinema since the pandemic started, so I’m hoping it breaks my fast in spectacular fashion!

Ah, we've been going to the cinema a bit. Suicide Squad, Night House, and a one or two others over the last few months.

Anyway, i'm fairly hopeful for Dune.

Ah, we've been going to the cinema a bit. Suicide Squad, Night House, and a one or two others over the last few months.

Anyway, i'm fairly hopeful for Dune.

Before pandemic i used to be a cinema regular.
My first movie seen in cinema since march-april 2020 was on 31st of August when i went to see the last show of Black Widow (on September 1st it was removed from cinemas)

Seeing as most of Europe is seeing a release over the next few days - is this the distributor’s not-so-little-sop to Villeneuve regarding the simultaneous small-screen release for the US on HBO Max? I could’ve sworn I’d read that Warner Bros had sucked back and decided to do a month at the cinemas first, so this could be their way of doing it (if my memory isn’t false 😅).

I know he wasn’t happy with the original release plan and has said it might sabotage the sequel, so I hope it has a good box-office over the next month of big-screen exclusivity.

I think spoilers in this case would be the visuals and characterization, which (the former at least) Villeneuve does really, really well.
I think I've seen so many trailers for this (and knowing Villeneuve's other films) that it's probably o.k.
Thepiratebay and napster and the like gave us Netflix. They forced the big publishers and producers to finally enter the digital age and embrace streaming services.
Napster: Even with Lars Ulrich we would probably still be at streaming 2.0.

So, finally got to see it after missing last week due to virus (not corona thankfully).

Whole family went and enjoyed it, although it seemed as half the time i was having to answer my daughter's questions about things they had already explained. Film was a slow boil, but it did a good job of explaining things (again, daughter failed to actually listen to what was being said, prompting later questions).

I was quite annoyed with the gender swap of Kynes in principle. One of those thing that seems to have been done for no reason at all except to satiate the "woke" crowd, and i'm pretty annoyed how "woke" appears to be taking over everything, the culmination of which was some people suggesting the Bonny and Clyde series should be done with black actors in the titular roles.... like, actual race swapping historical characters for no good reason. How about a film about Nelson Mandela with the titular role being played by a white person? What? No? Why not?

Sorry, rant over.

But to give credit where credit is due, Sharon Brewster did a really good job of the role. Not the Kynes i have in my head from the books and of course not from the previous film and TV series, but it actually worked very well and she took the role and made it work. So, kudos to her.

All other roles seemed fairly well cast and performed.

An annoyance was everything was too dark. Even the original film was much brighter. Half the time i felt that I might as well have just closed my eyes and listened to it rather than watched it. I wouldn't have wanted it as bright as the TV series, but this was just too dark, especially the scenes on Caladan and Geidi Prime. Hope they adjust this for the second part. Yes, i get that you want to make a contrast between the bright daytime sun of Arrakis and the night and the grimdark world of Geidi Prime and how Caladan is like a cold damp English autumn, but really, a little more saturation and colours wouldn't have gone amiss.

Being a big fan of the original film, my only wish was that Paul chose his names at the end of this film leading up to the film ending with Chani saying "Tell me of the waters of your homeworld Usul"

Guess will have to wait for the second part for that.

Is it playing regularly where you are?
It's only coming to theatres in Canada the 3rd week of October.

Top Bottom