Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3+

Hi! Here is some hints how I got my DK2 and 1.8 runtime working in Windows 7. Some of these steps are borrowed from other posts/sites.

So I got my DK2 two days ago and since then I have been testing different two versions of Oculus runtimes. Seems like only choices are limited to 0.8 runtime and earlier (can be loaded from Oculus website - laggy and no support for Time Warp thing) and newest version live install 1.8 atm. I got 1.8 working after installing Oculus software with hacked Oculussetup.exe bypassing that SSE 4.2 check, because I have kinda old CPU. I had to skip all suggested steos during installation and ingnore all warnings naturally :) First time installation was easy, but after that reinstall was trickier.

1) First removed earlier Oculus software thru Windows and Installed 1.8 thru live setup (needed that hacked exe to bypass SSR 4.2 check)
2) Then I had to remove all Oculus folders under subfolders of \users\%user%\appdata\ (<-thats hidden folder btw and need to kill that oculus process (OVRServer_x...) using taskkill /pid 1234 /f in command prompt (started as Administrator). That pid number can be found in task manager under Services - that 1234 is example of course. :) After killing OVRServer-process all subfolders can be deleted.
3) Then started Oculussetup.exe, but didn´t Install, but just Repair.
4) Skipped all steps and ignored warnings.
5) Plugged HMDI in graphics card and USB to different port than last time.

Still there is problems to get that blue light on in Oculus headset, but removing both HMDI and USB and reconnecting them - USB needs to be plugged to different USB port - wakes headset alive, Oculus software must on during process. Not sure, if there is easier way to "wake up" DK2 after reboot.

Now I can play ED thru steam (SteamVR must be on first) and thru ED launcher. I have preferred Steam, because recentering VR position works there. It would be nice to have quick recentering button in game, because sometimes VR loses position and usually center position goes about 20 degrees left or right. No luck recentering position thru Oculus software (I have no Oculus or Xbox controller).

Yesterday I started tweaking Nvidia settings thru Nvidia Control Panel and tried Erimus settings. Enabling DSR 2.0x 33% made HUGE difference in ED. Now texts are readable and I can see more details, for example corona of star is visible now.

Here is my setup, GPU is new, all rest are 775-socket stuff :)
Asus P5Q pro, Xeon X5460@4.0, MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB, Saitek X45 Digital, 8GB DDR2@1020, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD , Nvidia 368.81 drivers, Windows 7

the other experience

CV1
2) Download the software here: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
3) Run it and let it begin downloading the drivers
4) Download the latest Nvidia Drivers and install them in the meantime. Don't restart until the drivers have finished downloading on Oculus
*You can get a key to switch the game to the oculus store, and you won't need to do this step.
This didn't work for me at all - using AMD Crimson drivers instead helped a lot [haha]

jokes aside.... on a new setup on W10 with DK2 i had three major issues:
1) I had to find an old(er) Oculus installer via reddit that would not block me from using DK2 with a AMD Phenom II X6 or older USB3 ports.
2) I had to get a second HDMI out to hook up my old monitor and the DK2 in parallel while my graphics card had 3 Display Ports and one HDMI only (passive 4k DP2HDMI adapter was needed), there was no way around it
(edit: now i read in this forum it can be beneficial to have the rift on DP-port adapter, guess because of better black lvls, will try that...)
3) for the first setup of Oculus Home i was stuck without the remote of the CV1 without any chance of proceeding by keyboard/mouse, thankfully an old USB cable bound XB360 controller did the trick

I then took the Oculus Key for Elite from the Frontier webstore - that setup went without any further ado
Some suggest to delete the Compatibilitylist json file to get rid of annyoing msg. within Oculus Home, Oculus software becomes more and more pain in the xxx it seams.... I most likely will jump ship when upgrading the HMD once the next gen is out...

Added question:
i follwed the tips for using the debugtool and also figured out tha current Oculus client is 1.8 not 1.3.xx
With the straight forward setup there is no Oculus HMD as second monitor in the system, it is managed by the Oculus driver. Is there a way of expanding the desktop with DK2 as 2nd monitor with client 1.8 or later?
:S

Last edited:
CV1

1) Uninstall your Oculus runtime and other software and restart. [NB: If upon restart your desktop is weird and no windows open, your Oculus needs to be turned off (in some cases it becomes the primary screen)]
4) Download the latest Nvidia Drivers and install them in the meantime. Don't restart until the drivers have finished downloading on Oculus
5) Go through the wizard, setting up an account etc. When you get to the bits about setting up the CV1, plug it in, wait for it to detect, then follow all instructions about position, comfort, calibration etc. - they are very clear
6) The Home will open - put the CV1 on
7) In the DESKTOP version of Home (both are always open), go to settings > general > Allow unknown sources - switch this last on*
8) Run Elite, switch to HMD (Speakers/Headphones) and you might need to restart after this
9) Start the game, if it bugs out don't worry, start it again and second time should be fine.

*You can get a key to switch the game to the oculus store, and you won't need to do this step.

I don't actually have a CV1, but this was all pretty obvious from setting up the DK2. Feel free to correct or add to this if I am wrong :)

Getting mine in MAY!

If you get the error:
RESTART COMPUTER
Sorry, we encountered an error during installation.

1. Open the start menu and run regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC
  3. Right click Oculus VR, LLC, and click Permissions
  4. You should get a dialog about permissions being incorrectly ordered. Click Reorder
  5. Click OK in the other dialog that pops up
  6. Try installing again

https://forums.oculus.com/community...t-in-canonical-form-error-during-oculus-setup

(thanks SyFy: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=3720152)

p.s. if you ever find yourself in the situation where you simply cannot install it at all, it downloads and then fails each time, delete the two above keys (make sure to export them first)

Where is this option "8) Run Elite, switch to HMD (Speakers/Headphones) and you might need to restart after this"
I cant see it anywhere

Start E.D. Open Options. Open Graphics. There is one setting called 3D. Click the + to open it up. Change it from Off to HMD with Headphones (or speakers if you prefer).
Done.

Start E.D. Open Options. Open Graphics. There is one setting called 3D. Click the + to open it up. Change it from Off to HMD with Headphones (or speakers if you prefer).
Done.

Thanks, i found it, the confusion was that you can edit the value of the top level object (the "3D" option) as well as the sub menu options. I bit like how regedit works, but still a bit confusing

Hi guys, I have just got a DK2 , and I need some help please about make it run using oculus runtime switcher.

Do I have to install first the latest oculus that have the latest runtime integrated ?

I have downloaded the runtimes 0.5 , 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 but I have not installed them yet.

What are the steps to follow ?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I have just got a DK2 , and I need some help please about make it run using oculus runtime switcher.

Do I have to install first the latest oculus that have the latest runtime integrated ?

I have downloaded the runtimes 0.5 , 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 but I have not installed them yet.

What are the steps to follow ?

Thanks!
Hey

I did the most up to date one first, then 5 through to 8. On the second attempt it worked. Make sure there's nothing installed first, clear all oculus stuff out and restart.

By the way, is it just me or is the DK2 not working on ED anymore?

Hey

I did the most up to date one first, then 5 through to 8. On the second attempt it worked. Make sure there's nothing installed first, clear all oculus stuff out and restart.

By the way, is it just me or is the DK2 not working on ED anymore?

DK2 still works in ED for me. Was using it last night with no issues. Hopefully it remains supported until the 2nd generation VR sets (and cards) come out. If the DK2 ever becomes unsupported in ED, I'll have serious VR withdrawals until I get a new VR set.

Has anyone had success with the latest Runtime working on Xeon cpu with the SE4.2 cpu check? When I tried this I could not see a way of SKIPPING as that simply closed the program and think therefore it did not install it. Perhaps it did I'm just not sure. Besides I did find a link to a BETA version which was the last one before the check was implemented. I got it all running fine and could get the setup of height and eyes etc. Though I now see you can also find these on the desktop program of OH even though not all these options are seen within the CV1.
I think I read some got it running by not uninstalling the previous version so some settings were kept. It's totally amazing really with E:D and other games which actually run perfectly fine on my PC with my spec here below! (no USB 3.0 on my system at all - not essential and checks are completed)

Last edited:
Got reinstall problem. Gonna try that reorder Permissions part. Hmmm, so deleting Registry Keys don't go into Recycle Bin.
I think I found the problem. The OculusLog file shows it tried installing Redistribution C++ 2015 (x64 & x86) files but failed so rolled back the installer. These were updated last month and last week respectively and looks like the latter is the fault of causing stutter for ASW OFF but also I can not get Runtime 1.7 (bypasses cpu check) to install the ones it knows and does not allow for future versions!
I'll try tomorrow once my system has settled its indexing.

I also found out that simply using GeForce Experience with Clean Install after cleaning out all files can not reload Experience as it needed a REBOOT after first driver is installed so needs done prior. Else if updating existing installs with Clean via Experience then it works as it has already been seated.

Last edited:
OK sorted at least to get Runtime 1.7 again (hurray VR). Yes it simply needed the updated Redistribution(x64) C++2015 14.0.24215 removed so it could install what it wanted to which happened to be C++2015 14.0.24210 . Even Oculus Support who did point me in the right direction refused further help with the excuse that my computer is not supported. Well I fixed it on my own by looking at the log file which I sent them and were not bothered to help.

Now the initial problem of stutters persists in VR and using Oculus Debug Tool I now see that the latency is around 50ms where as before in settings it showed as about 11ms. I now see this latency when looking over the pilots hands as it stutters lots. So I am led to thinking the USB Ports have become lower powered and is a known issue...Sometimes swapping the ports around works and even RESTART OCULUS has also. So this is my last area to look at. I'm wondering if it was my 3D setting for Highest Performance that triggered it. Still to test.
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/ha...driver-reset-usb-ports-power-state-reset.html

GeForce Experience is still playing up at staying loaded, sometimes the notification icon will disappear and the Right-Click 3D setup stays but then also disappears after a reboot. I've given in using Experience now until I get another Driver Update and then it may be able to settle after reboots. For now the correct Nvidia Driver installs after a reboot but any issue with Experience will unload it even though still installed!

Apparently Experience fails to stay due to Anti-Virus not OFF and Nvidia Processes still running. It could also be a need to delete Redistributables 2013 as it will reinstall these.
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-fix-windows-10-nvidia-installer-failed-issue/
Another point is leave it running for 15mins after 1st Driver Reboot to allow for Windows Auto Update to complete checks.

Last edited:
Working once again. Seems that last Windows Update must have re-awakened 5 installed Sound Drivers I had disable/hidden for my Monitor and they didn't even show these up! Not until all this ball-ache of uninstalling Nvidia Drivers/Experience and Oculus. So it took up too much bandwidth! I never need sound from my Monitor as I use a dedicated X-Fi into Studio Monitor and Sub but now use Headphones on Rift which is way better.

I had found another problem trying to install Oculus Runtime 1.7 which failed due to trying to install older version of Redist C++2015 14.0.24215 but having uninstalled this it installs C++2015 14.0.24210 and completes itself.

So now I'm left juggling with trying to keep my Nvidia Driver installed after each REBOOT. I always use SLEEP but it will need rebooted on occasion. So the trick with Nvidia Drivers is to install it with all Antivirus OFF and killed in Tasks including any Nvidia also. The next update may add an exclusion of its own anyways.

These are ALL Windows 10 problems - well well well!

Last edited:
No VR option for BETA

CV1

1) Uninstall your Oculus runtime and other software and restart. [NB: If upon restart your desktop is weird and no windows open, your Oculus needs to be turned off (in some cases it becomes the primary screen)]
5) Go through the wizard, setting up an account etc. When you get to the bits about setting up the CV1, plug it in, wait for it to detect, then follow all instructions about position, comfort, calibration etc. - they are very clear
6) The Home will open - put the CV1 on
7) In the DESKTOP version of Home (both are always open), go to settings > general > Allow unknown sources - switch this last on*
8) Run Elite, switch to HMD (Speakers/Headphones) and you might need to restart after this
9) Start the game, if it bugs out don't worry, start it again and second time should be fine.

I don't actually have a CV1, but this was all pretty obvious from setting up the DK2. Feel free to correct or add to this if I am wrong :)

Getting mine in MAY!

If you get the error:
RESTART COMPUTER
Sorry, we encountered an error during installation.

1. Open the start menu and run regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC
  3. Right click Oculus VR, LLC, and click Permissions
  4. You should get a dialog about permissions being incorrectly ordered. Click Reorder
  5. Click OK in the other dialog that pops up
  6. Try installing again

https://forums.oculus.com/community...t-in-canonical-form-error-during-oculus-setup

(thanks SyFy: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=3720152)

p.s. if you ever find yourself in the situation where you simply cannot install it at all, it downloads and then fails each time, delete the two above keys (make sure to export them first)

How do I get the BETA to switch to my RIFT from my primary monitor after changing display settings in Elite Dangerous BETA? I have no option to open the BETA directly from my Rift.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
If you have the steam version installed run the game in steam vr, then quit to menu and restart fromt he launcher, works for me. :)

Hoping some one can help. It's the age old judder. Stutter problem no matter what settings in station it's really bad and hi rez. Messing with graphic settings I can get it down to a managable level but it's still there. If I do any training missions or scenarios it doesn't happen with everything set to ultra just when I'm actually playing. Running a i7, nvida 1070 on a fresh windows 10 install due to a previous problem. The judder still existed then too. Any ideas?

Hoping some one can help. It's the age old judder. Stutter problem no matter what settings in station it's really bad and hi rez. Messing with graphic settings I can get it down to a managable level but it's still there. If I do any training missions or scenarios it doesn't happen with everything set to ultra just when I'm actually playing. Running a i7, nvida 1070 on a fresh windows 10 install due to a previous problem. The judder still existed then too. Any ideas?

Could be all kinds of things - drivers, other things connected via USB to the same bus, etc.

If the judder is regular - i.e. it happens every second or half second or so, then it could be your computer is polling for something that isn't there because of a loose cable.

I found that a dodgy SATA hard drive cable was at fault with a similar problem I had. The motherboard just kept polling "Are you there? No. Are you there? No." every second.

Google for a USB latency checker tool and run it to see if that is indeed your problem. If you get lots of spikes, well...

Top Bottom