Details on Xbox One S All-Digital Edition- Coming May 2019

Is this something that you would buy.
With Sony coming out and announcing details of their upcoming PS5, Microsoft have hit back along a different track.

Details are sparse but is it something that you would consider upgrading to?

XBox One S All-digital

Nope, the 4k blueray player gives the One X it's extra value plus what Bongo said, I still have lots of games and movies on disk.
If I would buy the new Xbox 2 then only if it has a blueray player.

I don't use disc based games anymore (and don't want game boxes and discs in the future either) but I do have lots of DVD and Blu-Ray movies which I watch on my Xbox. So I wouldn't change to a console without a disc drive. I hope the next Xbox (or at least one of the models) will have it. Maybe a good compromise could be that the console itself doesn't include a disc drive but you could buy an official external drive for games/movies. I need a drive but only for movies so it would work well for me.

Otherwise, this current package will not generate demand at all. It should be $149 or at least include 2TB storage and a beefy Game Pass subscription (3 or 12 months). Instead it costs as much as the regular S and includes three games, two of which are in Game Pass anyway that you can get for $1. I think the console itself could be viable but the bundle exhibits extremely wrong decisions.

DDastardly00

D
It's sort of fascinating watching the digital marketplace revolution try to consume everything in it's path and the next battle ground is clearly videogames. Blu Ray was supposed to the savior, now its the 4k discs. They said people would rebuy their libraries and replace their DVDs. Well it didn't happen, to this day 58% of all disc based sales are still DVD, while 4K-UHD disc sales account for less than 5%.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...arly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

The really interesting thing is that streaming services and digital marketplace sales don't seem to be making up the difference in regards to movies, not sure about games. Not sure where I'm going with this other than I'm not sure disc-less consoles are the future either. Maybe Google's new console concept has it right after all, an all streaming device.

I hate the idea of all of this, I like my discs and will continue to buy them that way for as long as I can. My library is about 50/50 digital and physical right now, but I'm trending back towards disc only now.

It's sort of fascinating watching the digital marketplace revolution try to consume everything in it's path and the next battle ground is clearly videogames. Blu Ray was supposed to the savior, now its the 4k discs. They said people would rebuy their libraries and replace their DVDs. Well it didn't happen, to this day 58% of all disc based sales are still DVD, while 4K-UHD disc sales account for less than 5%.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...arly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

The really interesting thing is that streaming services and digital marketplace sales don't seem to be making up the difference in regards to movies, not sure about games. Not sure where I'm going with this other than I'm not sure disc-less consoles are the future either. Maybe Google's new console concept has it right after all, an all streaming device.

I hate the idea of all of this, I like my discs and will continue to buy them that way for as long as I can. My library is about 50/50 digital and physical right now, but I'm trending back towards disc only now.

I would happily throw my movie disc collection out the window without a second thought, if I had an option for an all-access digital service. However, in my country no such service exists. We have Netflix but most of the programming is in English only (I prefer movies dubbed in my own language), we have HBO Go but no app for it on Xbox One. And nothing else. I would even buy movies digitally but there is simply no service for it (Microsoft Movies is not available and it's doomed anyway). So here in Hungary if you want to get a movie your best bet is still DVD (Blu-Ray sales are so low that many movies don't even get released here on that format). In short, I would happily switch to all digital regarding movies as well, but it simply cannot be done right now. So I stick with my discs and disc drives - hopefully.

I have exactly one PC game on disk...the original Silent Hunter 3 from the 1990's which is when I bought it. On the Xbox I have the original Xbox release of Skyrim and RDR2. Everything else in my considerable game, music and video library both on Xbox and PC is digital. I still have a blu-ray player/writer on the PC...mostly because it fills a space in the front of the case...I've used it once. I have the Blu-ray player on the Xbox too of course.

On PC, the advent of Steam and digital games distribution especially drove the price of PC games down...and they are still relatively low compared to Xbox and PS4 games, mostly as hard copies of PC games rarely exist which keeps production costs lower. We also have several dedicated digital distributors with Steam for the present, being the largest and most popular.

Can't see me going back to disk for anything...not even nostalgia.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
I hope it works out.

Think of the environmental benefits that comes with digital distribution.

Would never spend $245 on this.

IF it were...

A lot smaller, $150 then I’d buy it for travel but would’ve preferred they have a small disc less Xbox one x instead for $75-$100 off.

The Xbox one S is the best for gaming and ppl who just want a 4K blue ray player with apps and Atmos

Xbox team seems clueless again

I find this "funny", because the one thing I envied the XBox One for as a PS4 owner is its UHD BluRay player (not that I have 4K TV, but someday). There's no way I'd pick this discless XBox over a PS4 Slim, even if I were starting from scratch.

I find this "funny", because the one thing I envied the XBox One for as a PS4 owner is its UHD BluRay player (not that I have 4K TV, but someday). There's no way I'd pick this discless XBox over a PS4 Slim, even if I were starting from scratch.

For all it's faults, this new optical disc less XBO-S comes without an elephant butt leather option.

My only regret in not going PS4 is PS-VR, though some reports I've seen don't rate it very highly.

For all it's faults, this new optical disc less XBO-S comes without an elephant butt leather option.
That's what caused me to give the XBox line some consideration in the first place. But if I were to go that route, I'd pay the little extra and get the UHD drive, or a little extra more for the One X.

Backcompat is the biggest selling point of the XBox for me and a large part of why I have one over say, a Switch.
I have hundreds of 360 and original XBox games, and there's no way I'd be willing to pay ~£10 each to keep playing them on my current-gen system. That kind of ripoff pricing to play games you already own is Sony and Nintendo's wheelhouse.

I don't have a 4k tv, since I use a DLP projector bc of LCDs exacerbating health issues I have, and 1080p is about the most expensive I can afford, since 4k projectors don't come cheap (and 8k ones like they're touting with the next gen consoles are just silly, since they're priced for IMAX cinemas, just give me solid 1080/60 please, my PC does that just fine and I really can't ask for more than that) but if I did, 4k blu-rays would also probably be an issue. I like to physically possess all my media. Friends always come to me to borrow stuff that's been taken down off netflix before they got to the end of watching it (And don't get me started on how many times I've had to lend folks the original dvd versions of Buffy, during that period when many streaming services got the utterly atrocious HD release of that show), and even though I have a vastly better connection than anyone else I know, it still sometimes ends up down for a day when road works sever a cable...

Last edited:
It should be $149 or at least include 2TB storage

Storage is another thing which has me concerned about the upcoming consoles.
You're right, this amount is far too pitifully small for a console where you can't simply whack in a disc to install most of the game, then connect online to download the latest patches if you want to reinstall something you had to delete, in order to play it again. Obviously it's going to require expanding in order to have more than a handful of games installed at any given time. I can see it working for an ultra-casual market, but again, for that market you're also looking at dropping the price a bit more too, especially considering what the standard S offers for the same price.

But this storage issue potentially gets even worse next-gen. Especially with Sony's announcement of requiring an SSD to load the amount of data necessary for those 8k textures - here's the thing, we already saw the jump in install size from 1080p to 4k texture packs on the Pro and X, so that's even more storage per game, and even more time to download and install one, so even more incentive to add external storage.
I currently have 6TB of 7200rpm external storage in a USB3 RAID enclosure hooked up to my XBox, and I still regularly need to delete something I am still frequently playing when I buy something new. (And I have the luxury of most downloaded games taking 30m to install, hence how when a friend got a 2TB external HD, I downloaded all the games he wanted installed on it using my box here, because his home connection takes about 12 hours for each, and at my place it took a single afternoon to install 150 or so)
Getting the same amount of storage on a console which requires SSD storage to work would mean an additional £350 expense, and likely push the cost of expanding the storage higher than the cost of the console itself.

Top Bottom