Developer Journal | A New Way To Share

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hayo all!

Throughout the last few months, we have touched on many aspects of Planet Coaster: Console Edition, from what it's been like making the transition from PC to console, to the various modes available in-game. We know you've all been excited to hear about the topic of today's journal: The Frontier Workshop! Making something magical and sharing it with your friends and community is at the heart of Planet Coaster, and we're delighted that it will stay an integral part of the Console Edition experience through the newly created Frontier Workshop. A platform didn't exist before that could facilitate this community sharing on console, so naturally we decided to build one ourselves especially for you. Today, we are joined by Lead Programmer Bradley Pollard, and UI Designer Jason Ware who will share more detail with you all - please give them a warm welcome.

Hey everyone! We've been looking forward to sharing more about the Frontier Workshop with you all!

Brad:
The Frontier Workshop is your one-stop-shop for Planet Coaster creations ranging from Coasters to shops to entire parks! Within the Frontier Workshop, you will be able to browse through all the wonderful things the community have come up with and decided to share with the world. You can see the most popular weekly additions, or browse all creations by a specific category such as "Coasters" or "Buildings". Within each category, you have the option to drill down with specific powerful filters to find exactly what you want. Plus, if you find a creator that you like, you can jump into their profile and browse what else they have to offer!

Jason:
A blueprint is a pre-built ride, facility or scenery object that can be placed into a park, so if you don't want to create everything from scratch you can still make impressive looking parks quickly and easily. There is a huge collection of new blueprints that can be found in Planet Coaster: Console Edition, covering all of the different themes such as Fairy-tale, Sci-Fi and Western. You can also add your own using the extensive piece-by-piece system and the components found in the "Create" tab in the object browser.

With the Frontier Workshop, as Brad said, you'll be able to share your blueprints. After you have selected the blueprint you would like to share, you'll have the option of editing the name and description. Once the changes have been confirmed, the blueprint will appear in the “Browse” section of the Workshop, where other players will be able to find it, download it and give it a like!

Brad:
On console, just like on PC, you will be able to upload any blueprint you create for other players to use. Once you've made a blueprint in-game, all you need to do is select it from the browser to begin the process. After you put in a description and title for your creation (and maybe add a few tags to make it easier for people to find) it's as simple as clicking upload.

Each of the 3 platforms, PC, Xbox and PlayStation will now have their own unique Workshop to browse. While that means Xbox and PlayStation cannot access each other’s Workshops, it allows Xbox and PlayStation to grow their own individual community of amazing Workshop creations. In the past, being able to share your creations has been limited to gaming on PC, but now we're able to bring that kind of freedom to console players.

Planet Coaster on PC taught us that the community are even more creative than we could have imagined, so there was no way we could bring Planet Coaster to consoles without having a platform to share your creations. By sharing blueprints on the workshop Planet Coaster players empower each other to create bigger and better things. If you are an expert coaster builder, but struggle to create interesting and detailed shops and facilities, the workshop allows you to fill in those gaps to create a beautiful park. Likewise if you'd rather focus on the smaller design details, someone else could contribute an awe-inspiring coaster for you to use instead!

Jason:
As a UI designer, it’s the best feeling knowing that something I’ve designed is being enjoyed by someone else in the world, and this is the same feeling that you can experience when you share your creations and parks on the Frontier Workshop. That’s what makes it so special in my opinion; it also provides people who aren’t actively uploading content with an almost endless assortment of blueprints from the community that they can download or use as inspiration.

The tools and items available in Planet Coaster have facilitated the construction of so many incredible blueprints and parks that continue to amaze us every day. It’s a game that allows you all to unleash your creativity, and being able to share something you’ve built for the rest of the community to enjoy makes it even more special. That’s why it was so important for us to include a sharing platform for Console Edition, so that our console community can also experience this wonderful element of the game.

Brad:
Your blueprints are what make the workshop the incredible place that it is, and if the original release of Planet Coaster taught us anything it's that our players never cease to amaze us. I can't wait to open up the workshop each day and see what new and exciting things have been added by our new console communities!

Want to learn even more about the Frontier Workshop? We recently did a Deep Dive livestream on YouTube! You can watch it on demand here.

Are items from previous DLC’s such as the Spooky Pack, Adventure Pack, etc being included with the base game on console edition?
They haven't announced anything yet, but I am hopeful they will gradually release it as people play the console version. It is a little disappointing, but I think it is smarter how they are doing it--not giving us everything all at once.

I used to play RCT2 when I was younger, and I can't wait to finally try this on console, and share to the workshop. The workshop looked incredible in the livestream!

They haven't announced anything yet, but I am hopeful they will gradually release it as people play the console version. It is a little disappointing, but I think it is smarter how they are doing it--not giving us everything all at once.
Yeah it makes sense because it increases the lifespan of console edition before they might have to create something new for PlanCo console edition

I really wish the XBOX and Playstation workshop would be as one. Is it still not possible to accomplish, or that Frontier just doesn't want to do it? :(
If they created CROSS-PLAY for both consoles, that would be amazing! There was a post today that I saw that was pretty unique. It's a suggestion but if it get's recognized, we could be talking something huge!

(Link below on post I saw today)

I just added a suggestion for planet coaster console edition My Suggestion

Its basically the suggestion to add a cloud storage / google drive like functionality to the frontier workshop, each user would have a separate cloud storage. Then they could also access that cloud storage from the pc browser. This would allow users to get custom media and 3d models and blueprints from internet or steam on their pc or phone, then upload it to Frontier Cloud from their browser, Then from console in-game you would acces the Frontier workshop -> Frontier Cloud and then have access to all your custom media. Blueprints would also be transferable between devices, with ofcourse a fail save so parks or blueprints or custom media that is too big, wont be able to be uploaded to your Frontier cloud.

Each of the 3 platforms, PC, Xbox and PlayStation will now have their own unique Workshop to browse. While that means Xbox and PlayStation cannot access each other’s Workshops, it allows Xbox and PlayStation to grow their own individual community of amazing Workshop creations

Uhm yeah I sure hope this will be changed real fast, cross platform sharing between Xbox and Playstation is a thing that is being requested for pretty much every game and specially for this game. It will only bring a lot of angry community members having it seperate, as some already said Some people make amazing creations and what if they make it on PS4 or PS5 and other have it on Xbox One or Series X then we cant download that beautifull creation. No having 2 workshops seperate for each console is not the way to go. I doubt it will be a limitation because each console both use the same assets and we know from other games that cross platform is possible. Sure hope it wont stay like this.

Uhm yeah I sure hope this will be changed real fast, cross platform sharing between Xbox and Playstation is a thing that is being requested for pretty much every game and specially for this game. It will only bring a lot of angry community members having it seperate, as some already said Some people make amazing creations and what if they make it on PS4 or PS5 and other have it on Xbox One or Series X then we cant download that beautifull creation. No having 2 workshops seperate for each console is not the way to go. I doubt it will be a limitation because each console both use the same assets and we know from other games that cross platform is possible. Sure hope it wont stay like this.

I hope this get's changed too! I know this is a big ask for them to do, but if they are able to make the changes before the game is released on Nov. 10, that would be huge! I'm not sure if you saw the post where I shared a link to one of the members suggesting an idea for all cross-platforms, but I think this is a good idea if the Devs decide to take on this suggestion.

(LINK BELOW)

Top Bottom