Developer Journal: Climbing

So a clever quip by some editor (it's not even in the actual article) should make us think it is 'highly likely' that there will be leopards? But who am I kidding, this is the Internet.
No I think leopards themselves are already highly likely. They are popular zoo animal that have a good challenge to them in keeping them entertained. To have an artikel (that is possibly checked by frontier before publishing) just makes it even more likely. But yeah there still remains a chance it won’t be added. We won’t be sure until frontier themselves confirm it.

So a clever quip by some editor (it's not even in the actual article) should make us think it is 'highly likely' that there will be leopards? But who am I kidding, this is the Internet.

If animals like African wild dogs and cheetahs made it in (which I’m super glad they did) I’d be surprised if leopards didn’t, since they part of the “big five” of Africa. Either way, leopards will be a part of the game, one way or another. There’s 50 (or slightly more) animals coming to planet zoo, not including the terrarium ones.

If animals like African wild dogs and cheetahs made it in (which I’m super glad they did) I’d be surprised if leopards didn’t, since they part of the “big five” of Africa. Either way, leopards will be a part of the game, one way or another. There’s 50 (or slightly more) animals coming to planet zoo, not including the terrarium ones.
Yep and a community manager has already confirmed 50 PLUS so i'm hoping for 100 or more separate animals with sub-species (like maybe how Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Colllection was done in their selection menu). Once you click on an animal name you see the different sub-species.

Last edited:
The "plus" in 50+ refers probably to the fact that terrarium inhabitants don't count towards the normal animals.
So I expect 50 normal animals and 10 to 20 terrarium animals in the base game. =)

I do believe when they say 50 plus that they aren't referring to any of the terrarium animals as i've heard in the past that the terrarium animals won't count towards that, just the animals you place in your own larger exhibits, such as the Lemur, Lion, Cheetah, etc.. I really hope so! More animals is always a plus for me! Basegame or not I will be looking forward to animals galore! LOL

Last edited:
I am very excited, and I am very convinced that this will be the game that will complete the standards of my longing for past zoo games. They climb and can stay, or go down, then move to a tree, fall on a rock, all this is amazing. I hope there is something similar with birds.

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
I do believe when they say 50 plus that they aren't referring to any of the terrarium animals as i've heard in the past that the terrarium animals won't count towards that, just the animals you place in your own larger exhibits, such as the Lemur, Lion, Cheetah, etc.. I really hope so! More animals is always a plus for me! Basegame or not I will be looking forward to animals galore! LOL
We will just have to wait and see. They said 50+ so potentially 50 base game and much more for DLC? I can't wait to find out.

Just coming in to set the record straight before speculation runs wild (my favourite Planet Zoo pun): all we've ever said is there will be "many more than 50 animals" in Planet Zoo at launch, or, in one social reply (Twitter) "50+ animals ;)" - we've not made any official comments about what does and does not count towards that; again, please be wary of speculation as there is a lot of excitement flying around and we don't want people to build up their expectations over something we've not officially said :).

Again, I'll reiterate that official news (including confirmed animals) will only come from our official channels - that is the Planet Zoo website, newsletter, social media, and these forums. Thanks again, it's lovely to read how passionate you all are <3

Attachments

• 1560543465596.png
    1560543465596.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 640
We see the iguana and another animal in a terrarium. I still think the terarium animals do not count toward the species, even though Bo said we should be cautios with getting our hope up too much. But well, it also might be that the counting was still buggy in the alpha they showed.

Fun fact: BestInSlot yesterday said in a video, frontier memntioned in another video it will be "many more than 50 animals". In JWE they said "over 30 dinosaurs" and the game shipped witn 42 or so.

If we really get these much animals with that much love for detail, I'm willing to through my money at frontier for ever little dlc they bring out. Because in my optinion I then get A LOT for my money and being a customer of that company with the life simulation thig ;) I'm not really used to getting my moneys worth, let alone even a lot more in my opinion.

Top Bottom