Devs why is X3 series STILL giving you a run for your money.

I tried X3 Terran Conflict a year ago. I couldn't really get into it. After knowing the graphical splendour, the awesome in-cockpit-feeling and the enormous galaxy of Elite, I just couldn't.

I'd better ask this question: Why can't X3 be more like Elite??? Maybe X4 is better? But I heared so many mixed reviews, so I am not really tempted at the moment.

Still, I would pay good money for a game mixing the best features of X-series with Elite for singleplayer and another game merging Freespace with Elite for missions and another one merging Planetside2 and Mechwarrior with Elite for multiplayer 🤪

Last edited:
Ah, yet another "Why can't this game be more like this other almost completely different game" thread. At least they share a setting this time, I still have trouble getting over the "Why can't Elite be exactly like Skyrim" thread.

Well, if what you want is a space building / economy game that you can play by yourself, you don't get bothered by having no sense of scale, an interesting flight model / ship building meta is not a priority and so forth, the X series is a great choice. Find your balance between stability / features etc. to pick your preferred one in the series. Have fun...

For those that haven't played X3.

You can train Mercs and Board other Ships
Maybe coming in the next big expansion. I too would like an NPC system.

You can build your own stations, reverse engineer and build your own ships
Really not intested in this to be honest. A small personal base, yes, but massive space stations, no thanks.

You can drop off sensors in a system and real time its data to you without the need to visit a webpage whilst in VR
Probably something to do with the fact that the game world is PG.

Pilots for your currently unused ships, so that they could be used on cargo runs, or help out in a fight.
I don't mind hiring NPCs, but this sound like it could be a serious exploit with the BGS and powerplay.

A whole host of game play mechanics that ED is still missing out on.
There are loads, but then I don't want some of those in anyway. It could potentially change the whole premise of the game.

Every single time I sent my marines over to a board a new Hyperion (best ship be far) my heart was in my mouth.
The control of stock and ships made it fun to play and micro manage, whilst ED hasn't raised my heart rate about normal since I bought my Cutter.
I don't think ED will ever be that kind of game to be honest.

I love Elite and want to love it more, and if most of the above could be done 14 years ago why can't the FD Devs pull it off ?
Maybe because that isn't the game they want to develop.

Last edited:
Now you've done it! Steam charts incoming in 5.. 4.. 3.....
No need for the steam charts, we all know the player base is down to the hardcore players. Everyone else has left already or is just waiting for the 2020 update to drop, get disappointed and leave again, probably for good.

No need for the steam charts, we all know the player base is down to the hardcore players. Everyone else has left already or is just waiting for the 2020 update to drop, get disappointed and leave again, probably for good.
The only thing I'm truly disappointed in is the bugs in ED. If this X3 game is so great, maybe I'll buy it and play it someday if I ever own a PC. But as long as we're playing the "ED should be like _" game, I want ED to be like RDR2. You know, cowboys in space, like Firefly!

On a serious note, I do hope 'New Era' borrows from Subnautica when it comes to space legs. On the other hand, I'm not demanding our ships be submersible.

yeah, that's why there are so many questions from new players every day...

Or why it gets a 'sales award' every single year on Steam. This forum, by the way it technically works, allows for very fringe ideas to appear mainstream. For example the same dozen or so people keeping their complaints about the FSS on the front page for months on end with hundreds of pages of copy-paste content. Or the same few dudes who start the 'ED still so terrible' topics in DD every so often. On other forums, you get to do that once, air your grievances, but the repetitive spamming of that opinion will simply be downvoted of the face if the planet afterwards. If you only post here the waldorf-and-statlers-without-humour may give the impression of 'everyone hates this game'. But if you leave this safe space for complainers a more normal and sane picture appears: plenty of people still play after years, plenty of newcomers arrive constantly and plenty of others had their fun and now do other fun things with their life.

It is interesting though, the level of obsessive bitterness this game seems to generate among some.

Have they? Got any proof of this?
Look at the player base for the last 6 months. How many players have already taken their coat and left with "I might be back in 2020". Look at the LEP thread, what they majority of the LEPs said after FD announced, there won't be anything for the LEPs this year. LEPs got tacky bobbleheads and some butt-ugly painjobs as a "make up because we couldn't deliver". Yes, I'm a LEP holder too. I wasn't really thrilled either. 8/10 Leps weren't happy about that if you look at the thread. And that's just the people actually commenting in here.
And if you look at the threads in general, there are at least 2 threads about why ED doesn't deliver, why it is a grind, why it could be great, and where the downfalls are, why we can't cut the monotony of it being too repetitive. Why do we have to sit through endless loading screens we call witchspace. And don't forget the immersionbreaking thread.
Station is on fire - you get shot for "loitering" while you try to land to save the people. Your ship is taking damage from the heat, who cares? Here is another 200Cr fine because you are here!
And the whole BGS - pointless. all that changes is a name on the system, that's it. No further impact.

Look at the player base for the last 6 months.
So what is the player base. Where are the statistics are you looking at as I know that steam charts and steam spy do not tell you the active player base.

How many players have already taken their coat and left with "I might be back in 2020".
I don't know. Haven't seen that many threads saying that.

Look at the LEP thread, what they majority of the LEPs said after FD announced, there won't be anything for the LEPs this year. LEPs got tacky bobbleheads and some butt-ugly painjobs as a "make up because we couldn't deliver". Yes, I'm a LEP holder too. I wasn't really thrilled either. 8/10 Leps weren't happy about that if you look at the thread. And that's just the people actually commenting in here.
I haven't seen many. The odd few and I have also seen very happy LEP owners.

And if you look at the threads in general, there are at least 2 threads about why ED doesn't deliver, why it is a grind, why it could be great, and where the downfalls are, why we can't cut the monotony of it being too repetitive. Why do we have to sit through endless loading screens we call witchspace. And don't forget the immersionbreaking thread.
Station is on fire - you get shot for "loitering" while you try to land to save the people. Your ship is taking damage from the heat, who cares? Here is another 200Cr fine because you are here!
So a few people moaning now means everyone is leaving. Right, got it.

And the whole BGS - pointless. all that changes is a name on the system, that's it. No further impact.
And that is a matter of opinion.

Although I liked the X series a lot I like ED a lot more.
ED is much more personal with first person cockpit views, srv driving, etc., X Rebirth was kinda like that but it never drew me in.
The bgs in the X series might look a bit more alive but it doesn't give me that rpg feeling at all.
Comparing ED to the X series is like comparing apples and shoe laces imho, they're both set in space but totally different from eachother.

This X3, is it available on Steam? Will it run on older hardware?

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the BGS.
It is a bit dated game. X4 released last year and in between was X Rebirth or so. I bet it still runs. X3 Terran Conflict was the best version. I might look at X4 some time.

Top Bottom