Ships Diamond Back Weapons

If the weapons are as bad as the Cobra, then the only way to call it a combat ship would be if it had strong shields and high maneuverability.

The funny thing is, the Cobra's weapons aren't even bad (hardpoint placement under the wings is, but not the gun classes per se). It's just the existence of the Vulture and maybe the FDL, too, which now dominate not just within the game, but also within our heads.

It looks like the weapons on the Diamondback are going to cover a good bit of area, that is, above and below. So there is that.

I'm also thinking that it will more than likely be two medium and two small hardpoints. And then, decent shields and armor (those "wings," like armored plating), decent maneuverability, and decent jump range. Price could be anywhere from a few times that of the Viper to a few million credits, though I suspect that it'll be closer to the former... maybe about twice the cost of the Cobra.

But of course, we'll see before too long here, hopefully. :)

Last edited:
The funny thing is, the Cobra's weapons aren't even bad (hardpoint placement under the wings is, but not the gun classes per se). It's just the existence of the Vulture and maybe the FDL, too, which now dominate not just within the game, but also within our heads.
I think you're right about the hard point placement being important, and if the FDL is any indicator then side weapon placement is not a huge benefit either due to interference of the left-right center line occlusion. The only ships I've flown that have good gun placement where you can hit with all of the guns simultaneously over a large solid angle are the sidewinder and the vulture. But maybe having a short stubby nose will help with attack angles?

Manuverability is probably the most critical feature for lining up shots ...

Last edited:
My ideal thought for the Diamondback (and the one that would make me drop my asp/vulture indecision) is something with 25~30 LY, with two med, and one large HP. Think of an adder, but with all the guns inflated one size.

Come to think, have we seen the top of this ship at all? It might even more literally match my description if, say, there's a big gun all up ova ya hedd, dawg.

I would be a bit surprised if it has a medium hardppjnt, let alone a large one.

Really? That's a bit surprising. From the pictures of it, it looks like it likely has two medium and two small, one of each on either side of the ship. I don't think they'd bother calling it a combat ship if it didn't at least have a couple medium hardpoints.

Really? That's a bit surprising. From the pictures of it, it looks like it likely has two medium and two small, one of each on either side of the ship. I don't think they'd bother calling it a combat ship if it didn't at least have a couple medium hardpoints.

A medium hardpoint is the size of the entire canopy of the Diamondback (look at the Asp medium hardpoint compared to the chair).

The perspective of the shot was odd, so it's hard to see if that is a medium hardpoint (and looked squashed because of the angle), small (because it is nearer to us, it looks larger) or not a hardpoint at all.

If it is two small hardpoints on the nose, under the canopy, they are very close together when retracted.

I have been wrong before though.

Last edited:
Assuming that the ship is roughly Viper size, leaving him without couple of medium hardpoints would be ridiculous.

Assuming that the ship is roughly Viper size, leaving him without couple of medium hardpoints would be ridiculous.

If it is an exploration-combat ship, low mass is important, and small hard-points are more damage per mass, so more, smaller hardpoints make sense (look at the Lakon Asp Explorer). Have you seen what the medium hardpoints do to the Viper jump range?

The Eagle is roughly Viper sized (actually it is longer and has a wider wingspan), but only comes with three small hardpoints.

Top Bottom