??? Diamondback Explorer overheats, making it inferior to the Dolphin for deep space missions ???

From my understanding, this is bad advice. You want an 'A' for PP regardless of size if you want to be as heat efficient as possible. For every unit of power produced by modules, an 'A' PP produces 0.4 units of heat, so if I'm trying to avoid overheating from running FSD, I want an 'A' PP. Using a D will just make me overheat faster.

He said PD, not PP.

OH whoops, my bad, total dyslexia moment. I mean if the distributor doesn't matter in supercruise anyway though why bother? Most people here are saying I should just turn it off anyway.

i said that too :)
but if you dont turn it off, even in SC it will still consume power and will contribute to overheating

That's because FD buffed the Dolphin beyond reason and without actually being need
Don't say that too loud lol, as much as I'm miffed about my DBX having been a waste of money, I'm glad to know that the Dolphin has superpowers so I can keep using it the way I've been using it. If they nerf it now I'm not sure what I'll do, doing cartography with that ship is a DREAM and I may not want to play the game anymore honestly if my primary source of income becomes the most obnoxious grind in the universe (pun intended).

I guess this is my answer then, the Dolphin is just a friggen superhero. I can charge FSD in the Dolphin while literally AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the star (without dropping out) and it never goes above 65%.

If this isn't possible with the DBX through engineering or any similar such thing, then I'm selling my DBX. I'm not interested in having the risk of temperature damage while doing cartography in deep space. Even if I can change my method, it'll slow down an already slow process while making a tedious journey even more tedious.

Your linking from coriolis was fine. As for the build, my explorer has some heat reduction tweaks, most of which have already been covered, but other than that yours is fine - I guess your expectations have just been framed with the Dolphin as your reference point, which is a bit like asking why a Cobra Mk3 has such a long time to kill when you're comparing it to an FDL :D

I'll tell you one thing you could try which has a minimal effect on your mass and therefore jump range, doesn't cost much more and does make a difference. Swap your powerplant to a 3A and then engineer it with grade 5 efficient and thermal spread experimental. Has a big effect on thermal efficiency.

Other than that, I hate to say it but try an Asp or go back to the Dolphin. The reason I hardly use my DBX is that scooping takes too long for me with a class 4 scoop and if you aren't scooping for as long, you aren't heating up so much either.

I'll tell you one thing you could try which has a minimal effect on your mass and therefore jump range, doesn't cost much more and does make a difference. Swap your powerplant to a 3A and then engineer it with grade 5 efficient and thermal spread experimental. Has a big effect on thermal efficiency.

^^^^^ This is the perfect miner or smuggler PP mod ^^^^^

Low Emission G5 & thermal spread will bring the PP efficiency down to 0.13

MP

It's most likely scooping technique OP

I enter near the exclusion ring with the star on my left and pitch up or down to get to the next jump as fast as possible while the tank is filling.

When full or aligned to the next jump, roll right and pitch up so the Fueling Star is directly behind you.

Watch the scope for the fueling star to change color.

Jump

NEVER overheats

FDev 'fixed' the Dolphin's heat problem by making it run stupidly cold - so cold I can lose lock on a Dolphin while we're both still inside a station.

FDev and balance are not good bedfellows.

Correct me if I'm wrong (no, really...) but:

Is the dolphin officially the first ship balanced in Elite since the game launched?
I think it might be.

Heavens knows, there's not been a balance pass (beside the Dolphin) since PS4 launch.

Correct me if I'm wrong (no, really...) but:

Is the dolphin officially the first ship balanced in Elite since the game launched?
I think it might be.

Heavens knows, there's not been a balance pass (beside the Dolphin) since PS4 launch.
There was an adjustment to damage not that long ago, which meant the dBX came out better off because its canopy was strengthened relative to other ships. I can't remember the reference but it is in one of the Beyond patch notes.

It's most likely scooping technique OP

I enter near the exclusion ring with the star on my left and pitch up or down to get to the next jump as fast as possible while the tank is filling.

When full or aligned to the next jump, roll right and pitch up so the Fueling Star is directly behind you.

Watch the scope for the fueling star to change color.

Jump

NEVER overheats

Decent suggestion, I can fly close to the star without overheating, it's just when I start the FSD close to the star that it overheats. It's a shame though, I can star-hop SO fast with the dolphin, and my technique is solidified in muscle-memory now after having spent 5 days making 1300 jumps in a row, and then the next few days making shorter trips for another 500 jumps or so. Also, like I said, I don't even want to remotely RISK overheating while on a deep space venture, especially if I have a passenger on board who might get upset and abandon ship (costing me anywhere between 20mil-and-50mil for failing the job, as well as costing me faction reputation).

I'll give your suggestion a try on some short-range missions and see if I can cope with it, but honestly there's so much security in having a ship that runs ice-cold all the time, I don't think I'm willing to give it up just to average an extra 5LY per jump.

What do you expect from a passenger ship like the Dolphin? It needs air conditioner to keep the passengers cool and comfortable ;)

Seriously, I don't have any overheating problem with my DBX when I am out exploring. My method is every time i approach a new star system, I get close to the star to scoop fuel, maintaining my heat level about 60%, just before the colour of the star turned from orange to red. I do my FSS scan there while the ship refuel. After the refuel is done and I have finished my system scan, I turn away from the star and travel until the heat level drops to about 40% before I engage my FSD to the next star system.

Top Bottom