??? Diamondback Explorer overheats, making it inferior to the Dolphin for deep space missions ???

I have much the same process as the OP, but I've never had a heat issue.. Why? I'm patient enough to wait to 7-10 seconds required to get to a safe distance..

For the OP's benefit, I've visited around 8k systems, 3k of which were new discoveries. And it seems that you always leave a system after scanning, do you not map any planets? Or land on them? That's one of the reasons for getting out there.. You are missing out on a large portion of the exploration payout, too.

I'm fairly new to exploring (only done the 5000LY "Palin run" so far) so more experienced exploerers feel free to correct any of this...

I messed up my first more leisurely outbound run by not recognising a high-G planet and crashing (already discussed in a separate thread of mine). My second attempt was a speed run out and leisurely return. On the speed run , I flew by the sun at <0.1c, scooping to a depth that didn't heat more than 67%. When almost full, fly away from sun until temp <60% and thereafter seen to be decreasing a few %/s - once that's satisfied initiate jump - heat should not increase by much, if at all during spin up... Somewhere in all that do a formal 'honk' of the system. If I wanted to do an FSS, I'd do that away from the star (I read that being to close to a star prevents you from seeing sources obscured by the star?????)

On my speed run, I was managing a 50LY jump every 70s.

OP says he's not unlocked any engineers yet - if there is one thing, just one thing to engoneer before going into the black again - do "Frameshift drive - Increased range" that above all is worth doing. Felicity will sort that out for you (or you could go to Elvia (I did the latter once, but I'm too scared to go back, she kept on telling me how "there was SOOO much more she could do for me"!!!!!)....

From the OPs build - I can't comment on module size/rating but a few comments...
Take an AFMU - well worth it for running repairs.
If you don't need the pax cabin this time, ditch it.
Take an SRV hangar and an SRV. Useful for a delightful evening drive on those overnight stopovers, and for gathering mats...

(Added 70 second jump cadence statement 2 mins after orig post)
(clarification: The ship I was flying above is a DBX)

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to exploring (only done the 5000LY "Palin run" so far) so more experienced exploerers feel free to correct any of this...

I messed up my first more leisurely outbound run by not recognising a high-G planet and crashing (already discussed in a separate thread of mine). My second attempt was a speed run out and leisurely return. On the speed run , I flew by the sun at <0.1c, scooping to a depth that didn't heat more than 67%. When almost full fly away from sun until temp <60% and thereafter seen to be decreasing a few %/s - once that's satisfied initiate jump - heat should not increase by much, if at all during spin up... Somewhere in al that do a formal 'honk' of the system. If I wanted to do an FSS, I'd do that away form the star (I read that being to close to a star obscures you from seeing sources obscured by the star?????)
Exactly how I do it, and I've twice got to Elite status in Asp, Python, DBX and now Phantom.
You're right - being too close to the primary can obscure some planets - just dropping out of FSS mode and flying on for a few seconds usually resolves the problem.

sooo... the DBX is 'officially' the best for temperature management... but in reality the Dolphin is like flying in god-mode when it comes to temps? Stupid.
There is no "official" rating for ships - until the Dolphin buff, the DBX coudl be built (and engineered) for coldest ship, the Dolphin was just so/so. Now... well, see below.

I know the dolphin runs so cold that it's practically broken, but does it really have anything else going for it? Honest question; I never use it. The DBX is actually a pretty decent little ship for quite a few things, but I can't ever think of a use besides jumping around for the Dolphin, which is why I never really had a problem with them turning it into an ice box.
The only thing you can't do with a Dolphin (and I'm pretty cofident that someone will jump in onto that) is combat. For anything else - well, this is currently my racing build.

62 ly jump range, 591 m/s boost, ~17% idle heat - and it can do this:

1cBs8m5.jpg

Maximum I can reach while charging & scooping is 62% :p

Edit:
P.S.: and running into a star is just a minor nuisance. Sure, you lose a couple of % from the crash stop, but that's it. Waking out after the cooldown goes at IIRC less than 50% heat.

Reading all the replies here gives reason to why I absolutely love my Dolphin. I use it for everything.
Sure I like the DBX, but the scoop rate is a little too slow for my liking. IMO it needs a class 5 slot for the scoop, not a class 4.
To the OP - my advice (if you can afford one, and it fits your needs) grab yourself a Type-10. You can practically land on a star's exclusion zone without overheating in that thing. Apparently it's the ship of choice amongst some explorers.
Good luck commander o7.

Reading all the replies here gives reason to why I absolutely love my Dolphin. I use it for everything.
Sure I like the DBX, but the scoop rate is a little too slow for my liking. IMO it needs a class 5 slot for the scoop, not a class 4.
To the OP - my advice (if you can afford one, and it fits your needs) grab yourself a Type-10. You can practically land on a star's exclusion zone without overheating in that thing. Apparently it's the ship of choice amongst some explorers.
Good luck commander o7.
^ I second the praise of the T-10, although the OP may find the flying experience a little different from a ............. Dolphin ! 🤭

I have much the same process as the OP, but I've never had a heat issue.. Why? I'm patient enough to wait to 7-10 seconds required to get to a safe distance..

For the OP's benefit, I've visited around 8k systems, 3k of which were new discoveries. And it seems that you always leave a system after scanning, do you not map any planets? Or land on them? That's one of the reasons for getting out there.. You are missing out on a large portion of the exploration payout, too.
You didn't read everything I said. Of course i scan and map, but that's not relevant to the topic at hand. I scan for certain objects, and if I find the ones i like i go scan them. Plenty of systems aren't worth my time though, so I do a lot of hot jumping. I'm accustomed to it because the dolphin was my first explorer vessel, so changing my system is a headache, and risking the potential of overheat if I mess up (which is likely, considering my method is committed to muscle memory) isn't worth it for me just to get the extra range of the DBX.

I messed up my first more leisurely outbound run by not recognising a high-G planet and crashing (already discussed in a separate thread of mine). My second attempt was a speed run out and leisurely return. On the speed run , I flew by the sun at <0.1c, scooping to a depth that didn't heat more than 67%. When almost full, fly away from sun until temp <60% and thereafter seen to be decreasing a few %/s - once that's satisfied initiate jump - heat should not increase by much, if at all during spin up... Somewhere in all that do a formal 'honk' of the system. If I wanted to do an FSS, I'd do that away from the star (I read that being to close to a star prevents you from seeing sources obscured by the star?????)

On my speed run, I was managing a 50LY jump every 70s.

OP says he's not unlocked any engineers yet - if there is one thing, just one thing to engoneer before going into the black again - do "Frameshift drive - Increased range" that above all is worth doing. Felicity will sort that out for you (or you could go to Elvia (I did the latter once, but I'm too scared to go back, she kept on telling me how "there was SOOO much more she could do for me"!!!!!)....

From the OPs build - I can't comment on module size/rating but a few comments...
Take an AFMU - well worth it for running repairs.
If you don't need the pax cabin this time, ditch it.
Take an SRV hangar and an SRV. Useful for a delightful evening drive on those overnight stopovers, and for gathering mats...

(Added 70 second jump cadence statement 2 mins after orig post)
(clarification: The ship I was flying above is a DBX)
I don't see the point in an srv, but that's probably because i avoid needing repairs by just not taking damage, hence preferring the Dolphin's heat immunity. I'd rather just go out into space, chart some systems, bring my passengers to their destination, head home and chart more systems on the way, and not make unnecessary planetary pitstops.

I don't see the point in an srv, but that's probably because i avoid needing repairs by just not taking damage, hence preferring the Dolphin's heat immunity. I'd rather just go out into space, chart some systems, bring my passengers to their destination, head home and chart more systems on the way, and not make unnecessary planetary pitstops.
Landing has very little to do with repairing. You can do that in space and landing is not a benefit in any way. Landing during exploration is about exploring the surface and taking in the views. If anything it adds another danger to exploration if you blow the approach or landing.

Ahh, they really are combining non-exploration with pax missions.. :rolleyes: o_O No surprise the DBX doesn't perform, it's not really meant for that.

You really think comparing a ship designed for passengers and a ship that is an Explorer by its very name is a reasonable comparison? Given some of the other oddities I've noticed, I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped the passenger cabin from the DBX and found your heat issue went away. Those without it don't seem to have quite the same issue. It would also have been beneficial if you had made it clear in the OP that you were not really exploring and not interested in doing any real exploring, it was just a way to pad the profit for a pax mission.

I'm willing to bet I can make just as much an hour as you as a straight explorer, but I'd have to go beyond the areas that missions will send you - there's little to no first discoveries/mapped in those areas and less profit. I feel kinda sorry for you, you seem to be in such a hurry to get nowhere, that you are going to miss a whole bunch of the game. Nothing quite like sipping coffee while you watch a binary sunrise.. Or find a world where the moon(s) orbit close enough and fast enough to present a landing hazard. The happy feeling you get hearing the familiar voice of the ATC at your home station after months in the black..

Ahh, they really are combining non-exploration with pax missions.. :rolleyes: o_O No surprise the DBX doesn't perform, it's not really meant for that.

You really think comparing a ship designed for passengers and a ship that is an Explorer by its very name is a reasonable comparison? Given some of the other oddities I've noticed, I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped the passenger cabin from the DBX and found your heat issue went away. Those without it don't seem to have quite the same issue. It would also have been beneficial if you had made it clear in the OP that you were not really exploring and not interested in doing any real exploring, it was just a way to pad the profit for a pax mission.

I'm willing to bet I can make just as much an hour as you as a straight explorer, but I'd have to go beyond the areas that missions will send you - there's little to no first discoveries/mapped in those areas and less profit. I feel kinda sorry for you, you seem to be in such a hurry to get nowhere, that you are going to miss a whole bunch of the game. Nothing quite like sipping coffee while you watch a binary sunrise.. Or find a world where the moon(s) orbit close enough and fast enough to present a landing hazard. The happy feeling you get hearing the familiar voice of the ATC at your home station after months in the black..

Reported for being a rude elitist.
1. You don't know me.
2. You don't know anything about my play style aside from what's written here.
3. There isn't a "right" way to play the game.
4. You have offered no advice or help in any manner. You literally just responded to criticize me. Get over yourself.

The DBX is basically a fridge with a seat, so for starters I'd suggest you recreate your exact build, including any engineering, on here https://www.coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer and then link it here because your build will almost certainly be the answer.

Also yes, as noted above the Dolphin is basically a freezer with a seat now so if that's your comparison ship, it might explain things 😁

My first guess would have been a D rated and overcharged powerplant but you've already addressed that. It shouldn't be running as hot as you describe, or at least my own exploration DBX never did; although it's been a while since I've flown it I'm not aware of any changes that would be making it boil up.
My dbx runs in sc at about 18% and boasts a lovely 60+ lys. Its definitely his build.

Problem is the dolphin have way more internals compared to DBX and this rank 5 that can fit FSD booster T_T.
Dolphin can fit 2 afmu and more cargo also.... So i'm a bit sad that it's also cool under any circumstances. That really make the DBX less shiny .

Problem is the dolphin have way more internals compared to DBX and this rank 5 that can fit FSD booster T_T.
Dolphin can fit 2 afmu and more cargo also.... So i'm a bit sad that it's also cool under any circumstances. That really make the DBX less shiny .

Honestly, I've never needed more than one AFMU, I just tend to go for a beefy one. As for cargo, I go out with either 4T of storage or none. I've only once actually needed Repair Limpets, I bodged a 6G landing and found myself with 1% hull, luckily I was on my home at the time and I put out a call to the Hull Seals once I got close enough (my call) to the Bubble. No loss, just a touch of added excitement for a 1000ly or so.. I usually dock back with no paint, working modules and 20-30% hull damage, so I've not felt a need to pack Repair Limpets. After the bodged landing, I pay more careful attention to the G of a body.. Lesson learned. I do wonder why I lug along any weapons though, it's not like 2 small pulse lasers will help with anything, but oh well. Hmm, maybe I'll swap them for a 2-bay SRV hanger.

Top Bottom