Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

Hi All,

I've been spending some time in this attack helicopter of a ship and I'm kinda quite liking it :)

NToo8yx.jpg

Gotta love how cold it runs!

I didn't see an owners thread so I thought I start one up for all the DBE owners out there who actually like their boat. Haters please go post somewhere else thanks :)

o7

Deleted member 110222

D
Are you using it for ground attack?

The paper suggests it should be quite good at that.

It's about time the Diamondback got some love and appreciation!

You're right about it being cool. It's a great little ship, especially when you take the time to put some good engineer mods on it. I boost up to 375 and can do it almost indefinitely with full pips to thrusters, idle at around 17% heat and have a jump range of about 47 light years. I still need to mod my shields, booster and armor. I was excited to hear Sandro talk about adding an additional size 2 internal to the DBE in the latest Q&A!

Last edited:
If that's the case I'm selling my Asp immediately. Would be lovely to fit both an AFMU and a SRV bay.

Not selling my Asp, but the "Fnord" could do with an AFMU.
I'll be leaving it a Jaques when I return to the bubble, but if I can AFMU it, I might summon the trusty beast. It got me to Sag A* and back, pre-Horizons.

I'd like to speak to a DBE salesperson please. Do I need one of these?

My business is trade and bounty hunting with a spot of mining when required and I'm not averse to skirting the law regarding illegal goods if the pay is good enough.
My Anny does most of the trading - volume and long-range. My Python does what the Anny can't do - platforms and smuggling. My Asp X does the mining - a build I'm especially happy with. My Cobra III is retained for nostalgia purposes. and my Imperial Clipper (with two builds) does exploring, bounty work, and it's also my home.

Would a DBE be able to bring anything to this party?

If that's the case I'm selling my Asp immediately. Would be lovely to fit both an AFMU and a SRV bay.
I'll be leaving it a Jaques when I return to the bubble, but if I can AFMU it, I might summon the trusty beast. It got me to Sag A* and back, pre-Horizons.

Not sure when it will happen, but Sandro was very open to adding an extra slot. The question he was asked was about splitting a Size 2 into two Size 1's but he thought it would probably just get an extra size 2. Something to look forward to in the next ship balance pass. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later!

Last edited:

My business is trade and bounty hunting with a spot of mining when required and I'm not averse to skirting the law regarding illegal goods if the pay is good enough.
My Anny does most of the trading - volume and long-range. My Python does what the Anny can't do - platforms and smuggling. My Asp X does the mining - a build I'm especially happy with. My Cobra III is retained for nostalgia purposes. and my Imperial Clipper (with two builds) does exploring, bounty work, and it's also my home.

Speaking as a DBE salesman, yes...yes you do! What do I have to do to get you in the cockpit of a Diamondback today? ;)

In all honesty though, it doesn't actually seem like the DBE would fill in any gaps in your fleet. I personally love the range, size and low heat it offers, but there's not much room for cargo or passengers so you're limited in what missions you can take. Despite those drawbacks, it is one hell of a fun ship to fly and will continue to be my main ship (my poor Annie is collecting dust). I mainly run hauling and smuggling missions with incidental passenger transport along the way (unless I stumble on a particularly juicy passenger mission). It's not the highest profits right now until mission rewards get fixed. Still, if you can build up some rep with a few disreputable factions, you can make decent money despite the small cargo. With my FSD modded, I don't even bother running with a Fuel Scoop as I can always tweak my route slightly to get anywhere in the bubble on one tank (and still do it quickly).

Anyways, give the Diamondback a try and see for yourself! :)

Heh well maybe not sell but relegate to other duties like mining. I just prefer looking at other ships in my screenshots. :p

Speaking as a DBE salesman, yes...yes you do! What do I have to do to get you in the cockpit of a Diamondback today? ;)

In all honesty though, it doesn't actually seem like the DBE would fill in any gaps in your fleet. I personally love the range, size and low heat it offers, but there's not much room for cargo or passengers so you're limited in what missions you can take. Despite those drawbacks, it is one hell of a fun ship to fly and will continue to be my main ship (my poor Annie is collecting dust). I mainly run hauling and smuggling missions with incidental passenger transport along the way (unless I stumble on a particularly juicy passenger mission). It's not the highest profits right now until mission rewards get fixed. Still, if you can build up some rep with a few disreputable factions, you can make decent money despite the small cargo. With my FSD modded, I don't even bother running with a Fuel Scoop as I can always tweak my route slightly to get anywhere in the bubble on one tank (and still do it quickly).

Anyways, give the Diamondback a try and see for yourself! :)

Ah this is a great showroom. Great service. Normally I have to stand aound for ages before I get the attention of the sales people. Looks like I got the top man this time. Thanks for the advice. The huge distance capability interests me very much. I think I have a role for that. I'll take a DBX on trial as a result of your recommendation. Thanks again.

Are you using it for ground attack?

The paper suggests it should be quite good at that.

I've used it for a couple of base assaults and yes it works a treat for this!

I've plugged in my modded grade 3 clean drive 4A thrusters and it get to 385 on boost and can pretty much constant boost with 4 pips to eng.

Haven't modded the FSD yet but the PP puts out about 17.5MW with a lucky grade 1 mod so I'm very happy with that.

I mainly got it because of three reasons:

1) It looks bad     and I love flying it! (the more important reason IMO)
2) I realised that for the majority of the time I just wasn't using more than 4-5 internals in my Cobra IV at any one time for probably 90% of the stuff I was doing.
3) I wanted a small ship with a larger weapon loadout. Love having the large mount just below the nose!

I still have my MK IV and probably will never sell it but I'm happy to have my two ship fleet and can do pretty much anything I want to with these two beauties!

I really liked my dbx until they changed the colour. I assume it because they want to sell paint packs.

The extra compartment is good news but I would prefer one of the 2s split into 2x1 for scanners and a bigger compartment for an improved scoop. I really like the db cockpit and it would make a great explorer.

Hi All,

I've been spending some time in this attack helicopter of a ship and I'm kinda quite liking it :)

http://i.imgur.com/NToo8yx.jpg

Gotta love how cold it runs!

I didn't see an owners thread so I thought I start one up for all the DBE owners out there who actually like their boat. Haters please go post somewhere else thanks :)

o7

I am surprised alot of folk are starting to love the DBx now, i have been an avid fan of the old thing for well over a year now and have travelled more than 200kly in various versions of it, on paper comparing it to rivals it sucks but i just love it.

I can admit i possibly have a DBx affliction issue as i dont just own one of them.... i own 6 DBx's in various engineered forms throughout the galaxy and i can't part with any of them

pre DBx i had a plethora of ships and swapped ships every two minutes, since purchasing my first DBx i've not wanted for another ship (i have a T9 for CG stuff if required and trade ££££££££ but even that gets little use)

it does have many pitfalls one slot short of a picnic being the most obvious, i do hear people shouting for larger fuel scoops but... please don't ruin the DBx it just needs one extra class one slot, leave the rest alone please :) otherwise its just an Asp

Sorry to disappoint but i dont think the DBx can fill any hole in your fleet;

Trading in a DBx - the asp / anaconda is better
Bounty hunting - The DBx has a high weight and is pretty slow at turning - some FA off tricks can improve it but every other ship is better than it
Mining - where the hell are you going to fit the refinery / limpets / & cargo?
Exploring - you can't take an AFMU - do you need one? and do you like fuel scooping?

as much as i love the DBx (mostly because of its flaws) if you have to justify why you need to fly one its probably not the right ship for you :)
if i were one of those dubious salesmen who works on commission of course i would say anything to get you to buy one.

Last edited:
Flying around in this last night getting a couple of low lvl mods just with some of the standard materials. Totally forgot I had about 8t of engineer commodities in the hold.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/0pataFflddfsdf51e27270003040g45032t2fv6.Iw1-kA==.CwBhGYy6uPiA.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2MUKmJkYOCPYmBgELNgYWDgyGFiYPjPJNrEChR1+PP-v0QLMwODyKJ---8rM3z7--8-J6sbUIotRoiBQbmAl4FBVgKoX8AFqP8-F+smdqDUOy2gVAo-UCoFKCrgBZL6DwCwiJebaAAAAA==?bn=General%20Duties

Getting interdicted left right and centre and had myself a ball murdering everyone of them!!

I must have a fetish for ships that most people don't like! With this and my Cobra MK IV!! Next I'll have to get something truly hated by everyone!!!

Deleted member 110222

D
Flying around in this last night getting a couple of low lvl mods just with some of the standard materials. Totally forgot I had about 8t of engineer commodities in the hold.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/0pataFflddfsdf51e27270003040g45032t2fv6.Iw1-kA==.CwBhGYy6uPiA.H4sIAAAAAAAAA2MUKmJkYOCPYmBgELNgYWDgyGFiYPjPJNrEChR1+PP-v0QLMwODyKJ---8rM3z7--8-J6sbUIotRoiBQbmAl4FBVgKoX8AFqP8-F+smdqDUOy2gVAo-UCoFKCrgBZL6DwCwiJebaAAAAA==?bn=General%20Duties

Getting interdicted left right and centre and had myself a ball murdering everyone of them!!

I must have a fetish for ships that most people don't like! With this and my Cobra MK IV!! Next I'll have to get something truly hated by everyone!!!

Type-7

Cmdr Axonteer here on my way (first big Exploration Journey) to Colonia via a leftwards route (rightwards is where the deep space stations are), and then to Sag A*, and the 3 interesting Black Holes in 2kly distance from Sag A* i got hinted at.

Im 1/3 on my way there (Colonia) and i love my ship already. Its not perfectly fitted, i could really have optimized it a bit more in terms of jump range. But well, i guess 28 or 31 dont matter "that" much. Two Friends are with me but they are on a Cheeseburger Compedition who reaches Colonia first and rush ahead in their Asp Explorers.
I just keep jugging along and looking for interesting stuff (not much found so far sadly).

What i dig the most is that the ship, is very manouverable, and i had some fun doing light combat with it with 2 pulse lasers and a big multi cannon :D Attack Chopper indeed :).
On the other hand, the cooling is superb (probably more also the shielding it has lol). My GF (one of the asps) is often screaming out scared and slamming on the heat sink dispenser when her asps ends up between two suns after a jump, and has cooking temps while fuelscuuping at max scoop rate. I keep cool and sit there in my pants :)
Granted, the space provided for amenties inside a Diamondback is probably smaller than in the asp, but heck, its a game and i can use my real gravity based toilet ;-)

i9ItMuf.png

Cmdr Axonteer, Greeting from somewhere 1/3 of the way to Colonia, in his trusty Diamondback Explorer, that he will not sell even when he gets back to buy a Python :)

I'm getting something like 31.5ly on my A rated FSD with lvl 1 mod....

This ship and my Cobra IV are the one that are actually letting me have fun while I slowly work through unlocking the higher engineering mods.

Yeah, take your time to get the materials and data. The DBE still has great range without the mods. I can tell you from experience that engineers has been pleasant for me because I'd been slowly gathering rather than trying to quickly grind it out.

You'll be amazed how quickly your jump range will go up with the better mods! With my G5 mod I can get a little over 47 light years max and average around 43. It's enough that I can safely travel long distances around the bubble without a fuel scoop. Once you unlock G5, aim for mods over 40% (the closer to 50% the better) optimal mass and an increase to max fuel.

Top Bottom