Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

I love this ship too. Did having such a small fuel scoop bother you on such a long trip like Distant Worlds 2?
Mine has been to Colonia & back twice, via a couple of very roundabout routes that took in Sag a*, far "west", many nebulae and highest & lowest points I could get to on the plane. Generally, as an explorer, I park up in the scooping zone (DBX runs so cool you can just hang there) and used the filling time to Full Spectrum Scan the system. With just over 60ly max range for standard jumping, getting 7-8 jumps per full tank, and if stopping to FSS regularly - which I do - rarely ever had to scoop from empty anyway.
So no, I know the small scoop drives some folk mad, but I never even notice!

+1 to the above, scooping isn't even noticeable when you FSS, and you can literally shove your face into the star without going over 60-62 degrees.
DBX is probably my favorite ship in ED. Almost all around A-rated, 550mj shields and still gets me 65.5ly range. And for just measly 3ly I can put 3x Double Shot frags on it, so it can also bite back. At this point it's not just a ship - it's a friend.

Anyhow, meet Major Tom:
Screenshot_0001.jpg

P.S.
I dare any other explorer ship to pull off this mountain top landing :)

Last edited:
I love this ship too. Did having such a small fuel scoop bother you on such a long trip like Distant Worlds 2?

Not really because the expedition went at a snail's pace. Lots of POI's and activities.

And I actually find the slower rate of scoop relaxing. The zen state prevents me from becoming impatient and doing something stupid ;)

What class of fuel scoop are you using? I am only using class 4, so maximum scoop rate is under 170 units per second.

4A... 343units/s is maximum and I'm fairly close to the star at that moment, but DBX is still doing OK and there is still some wiggle rom before hitting the exclusion zone... The temperature goes to roughly 64 or so... But I can park there at this scooping rate and stay there indefinitely, no harm to the ship... When I'm done FSSing the system, I hit accelerate (at that point I'm usually also refuelled) and when the star turns yellow on my radar, I hit Jump button while still being in the scooping zone, the temperature goes to roughly 70-80 before I leave the scooping zone, but then it drops back and I jump...

In boring systems with only a star or two and no planets, I usually traverse the star full throttle at distance that allows for around 300 units/s scooping, which nearly refuels the tank, but since there is no reason to hit FSS, I usually hit Jump button while still scooping at a rate of roughly 230units/s and jump shortly after I leave the scooping zone... Temp reaches roughly 87 or so but drops to 70ish when jumping... This way, I can do around 60 jumps per hour...

The outfit below is not perfect, I know, I was outfitting my DBX after playing for roughly a week or two, so I did not really know how to do it properly... But 27ly jump range suits my needs just fine... The 4A shield saved my butt plenty of time... I'm hitting planet surface fairly often (mostly because I know I'm invincible)... 🙃

I'm now heading to Colonia to fix my outfit for a longer jump range and also to fit an SRV...

4A SHIELD GENERATOR
4A FUEL SCOOP
3C AUTO FIELD-MAINTENANCE UNIT
3E CARGO RACK
2E CARGO RACK
2E CARGO RACK
DETAILED SURFACE SCANNER
1E ADVANCED DOCKING COMPUTER
4A POWER PLANT
4A THRUSTERS
5B FRAME SHIFT DRIVE
3D LIFE SUPPORT
4A POWER DISTRIBUTOR
3A SENSORS
5C FUEL TANK
1I LIGHTWEIGHT ALLOY
2F MULTI-CANNON [GIMBALLED]
2D BEAM LASER [GIMBALLED]
HEAT SINK LAUNCHER
POINT DEFENCE

Last edited:
I am actually using class 4A fuel scoop. Maximum scoop rate is under 170 units/s when I throttled down to minimum speed in Supercruise mode, ship temperature is about 62 degree celsius. If I try to get any closer, the colour of star will change from orange to purple-red, and my ship will slowly overheat.

I am actually using class 4A fuel scoop. Maximum scoop rate is under 170 units/s when I throttled down to minimum speed in Supercruise mode, ship temperature is about 62 degree celsius. If I try to get any closer, the colour of star will change from orange to purple-red, and my ship will slowly overheat.
well you must have some rather strange engineering as a stock BDE won't overheat that easily with a 4A scoop....

Mine only runs a 3A scoop, as I have class 4 FSD booster (and I like having C4 shields for those high G moments!) - still near enough finishes scooping by the time I have FSScanned the system when out exploring

Try switching off all the modules you do not necessarily need, like weapons, AMFU etc... I only power modules I really need... What is your base temperature? Mine is about 20... I could go down to 17 when I switch off shields and distributor...

Post your full outfit configuration, maybe we can identify the reason...

Also I noticed that some stars overheat my ship quicker than others... Maybe that could be the reason? If I'm not mistaken (and I really do not remember exactly, but some smaller stars did overheat my ship even before hitting the 343units/s limit)

Last edited:
Try switching off all the modules you do not necessarily need, like weapons, AMFU etc... I only power modules I really need... What is your base temperature? Mine is about 20... I could go down to 17 when I switch off shields and distributor...

Post your full outfit configuration, maybe we can identify the reason...

Also I noticed that some stars overheat my ship quicker than others... Maybe that could be the reason? If I'm not mistaken (and I really do not remember exactly, but some smaller stars did overheat my ship even before hitting the 343units/s limit)
Maybe you are right in that I have all my modules switched on at all time. I don't like the hassle of switching on and switching off modules.

This is my build:

Maybe you are right in that I have all my modules switched on at all time. I don't like the hassle of switching on and switching off modules.

This is my build:

I have to respect the explorer that incorporates weapons into their build. Will you need them? Probably not right up until the moment you do and don't have 'em.

I have weapons fitted - for science, when I come across notable stellar phenomena 😉
(And early days, thousands of ly from anywhere, I once accidentally turned an npc hostile in my srv. Managed to board ship and splat them into mats)

I have weapons fitted - for science, when I come across notable stellar phenomena 😉
(And early days, thousands of ly from anywhere, I once accidentally turned an npc hostile in my srv. Managed to board ship and splat them into mats)

Oh man, that's great! I upset a parked AspX while driving in an SRV looking for metallic meteorites. If you've never seen rail gun shots explode on the surface of a planet next to your SRV you are missing out. Most terrifying and exciting sprint to my ship I've ever had.

re: weapons on an explorer ship - NPC pirates still spawn unexpectedly in the black while mining. And there was this incident during the Distant Worlds 2 expedition last year when hostile NPC ships appeared then tried to crush commander driven SRVs at one of the abandoned settlements.

As someone else said in this thread, you never know 😄

As they say: Pictures, or it didn't happen...

I have emptied my fuel tank. At 17:53:00 I moved to a fuel scooping position...

Screenshot_0381.jpeg

At 17:53:32 I'm still scooping at the rate 343unites/s, temp steady at 65%...

Screenshot_0382.jpeg

At 17:54:03 still scooping at the same rate, temp still steady, over half of the fuel tank filled...

Screenshot_0383.jpeg

Still scooping, still steady...

Screenshot_0384.jpeg

At 17:54:32 I'm done refuelling, temp steady at 65%... free to go now... Took me 1 minute 32 seconds to refuel...

Screenshot_0385.jpeg

Cheeers! :cool:

Top Bottom