Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

EDSY DBX

How does this seem? I've gone long distances without a shield in a DBX before and it was fine. Just want to make sure this works before I build it
looking fine ... i'm not one for going without shields, because bumpy lander, but the idea of using a repair limpet controller instead is great imho. pretty sure you could get down to a much smaller and more lightweight powerplant, though. 2A or 3 A.

How does this seem?
Good build. Shields are for dummies. :giggle:

However
  • heat sink is not really necessary
  • smaller power plant (you don't need all stuff powered all the time, for example AFMU) engineered for low emissions (scooping takes a long time in DBX, you definitely don't want to scoop even slower because your ship overheats at max scoop ratio)
  • the biggest AFMU you can fit or better two (unless you want to avoid neutron stars completely)
  • smaller cargo rack (4T is enough for synthesizing limpets)
  • I'd ditch supercruise assist, but you may find it necessary

Good build. Shields are for dummies. :giggle:

However
  • heat sink is not really necessary
  • smaller power plant (you don't need all stuff powered all the time, for example AFMU) engineered for low emissions (scooping takes a long time in DBX, you definitely don't want to scoop even slower because your ship overheats at max scoop ratio)
  • the biggest AFMU you can fit or better two (unless you want to avoid neutron stars completely)
  • smaller cargo rack (4T is enough for synthesizing limpets)
  • I'd ditch supercruise assist, but you may find it necessary
see, that's how people's build differ :)
  • i concur on fitting an a-grade afmu, more size=less refills by materials
  • same on powerplant
  • cargo rack ... well, but if you pick up something? you still want 4 free to synth limpets ... (that said, i think i have only 2t on my main's exploration dbe)
  • supercruise assist is very helpfull for the automatic dethrottle and for going to map bodies deep into the system. less user errors, less bumping into stars.
  • heatsink:shortly after i hitted 1 mio ly i finally got into a heattrap, and the heatsink saved me. so - it's a rare occasion, sure, but you migth run into a situation where you need one.

I have a DBX parked in the bubble. That was the ship that gave me Elite explorer status last year in my first extended exploration trip toward the upper Formidine Rift (about 9900 LY south of the bubble). It had a maximum range of 40 LY and 83 MJ of shields (it was unengineered) but after I unlocked the engineers, it got the full upgrade treatment. Now it has a 64 LY laden jump range, 564 MJ of shields, a boost speed of nearly 500 m/s, and all the basic exploration gear. Here is the build:

and here is a build that has 704 MJ of shields but about 1 LY less jump range:

I can easily switch between the two given the materials and modules that I already have.

CMDR Janet

One of the most versatile ships in the game. I love mine with all my heart and soul! I've never done combat in it, although it must be worthy as I've encountered a million of them in has rez sites, by the boat load! But speaking from pure exploration, Ancient Ruins, flying around the Galaxy, and material gathering ... it's 100% wonderful! I started in an AspX and HATED the "helicopter" engine sound, so I bought a DBX, and have never looked back or considered anything else. Even a Krait Phantom, which I did briefly think of trying out, it felt like I was cheating on my DBX! 😥 My DBX, loaded with an SRV, DSS and a fuel scoop, straight up jump range, with a 4H Guardian FSD Booster gets 64Lys jumps, and I do believe I hit around a 300Ly jump on a Neutron charge, somewhere around that. I can get from Celaeno to Robigo in like 8 jumps or less. All numbers I am just pulling out of memory since I don't have them written down, but no complaints! And running cool... 🥶 I can swim in a star and not overheat! Can't say enough positive things about the mighty DBX! Best purchase ever, and cheap! It's the perfect ship for what it does, which is just about... everything, perfectly! 😘

Far Beyond the Sun
and it lives up to that name

DBX.jpg

DBX.jpg

Last edited:
WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SHIP???!!

700 hrs in and only just built my first DBX.... I am deeply ashamed....
Wanted a purpose ship for re-visiting the dreaded guardian ruins and as an open-safe bubble taxi. What I got, was a new favourite. Flies like a dream, in regular flight and supercruise... such an amazing little beast! Guess we two are in for a lot of time together. :love:

WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SHIP???!!

700 hrs in and only just built my first DBX.... I am deeply ashamed....
Wanted a purpose ship for re-visiting the dreaded guardian ruins and as an open-safe bubble taxi. What I got, was a new favourite. Flies like a dream, in regular flight and supercruise... such an amazing little beast! Guess we two are in for a lot of time together. :love:
Welcome to the club ;)
20190804231541_1.jpg

EDSY DBX

How does this seem? I've gone long distances without a shield in a DBX before and it was fine. Just want to make sure this works before I build it

Why not use decontamination drones instead of repair drones?
I just learned that these double as repair drones too (alas not as efficient) while their main purpose is to fix corrosive damage, which some lifeforms out there can inflict too.

I definetly use a shield, esspecially since on the way back I am always interdicted nowadays. And guardian drones attack both the srv and the ship.
Even if it costs me about 15ly compared to your build (a measly 54ly max).

Regards, Dirk

Elite Dangerous_20210211140940.jpgElite Dangerous_20210209195612.jpgElite Dangerous_20210130232209.jpgElite Dangerous_20210130232220.jpg

Attachments

• Elite Dangerous_20210130232150.jpg
    Elite Dangerous_20210130232150.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Bought this for an exploration trip because I thought it looked cool and figured I'd give myself a different cockpit to stare at - Has ended up my favorite explorer. I think exploration ships are going to come down to what you prefer (jump range, fuel scoop, cockpit view, aesthetic etc. etc.)

But man, this is definitely my ship. Getting 70ly+ jump is great of course, and I really appreciated it this time around as I was in some remote areas: but I mainly just love how it handles. You can basically land this thing upside down on a planet lmfao

I missed my asps 6 slot fuel scoop, but after a little bit of flying I basically stopped caring. Especially considering you can just ram your face into a star because of how cool it runs. I just scan while refueling. If there's anything that I would actually dock the DBE for its not being able to look down in the cockpit.

Also- completely subjective - I like how it looks a lot more. In my head I imagine it's a ship that has just enough room for essentials for enterprising explorers just wanting to sell data.

Definitely my new go to for when I wanna head out into the black

This little ship took me to Colonia and back via Sag A (returning with 0% integrity and paint 🙃)
This is her fitted out for bubble duties: Outlander
Add some point defence and she's ready for Guardian ruins hunting, or swap the flight assists for AFMUs and head into the wild blue yonder!

With recent Class 5 FSD from Rare goods run and Mass Manager, my DBX can get insane 76.12 ly jump range

I just happened to click on a tech trader yesterday and saw a Engineered Class 5 FSD V1. This is the one with fast boot on it. I unlocked it because of course I did. I don't recall participating in whatever got it for me, but who cares haha. Is this the same one gthk? I was also thinking about putting it in my DBX with Mass Manager. hmmm

Somehow I've never added my DBX to this thread. Not much I can say about this ship that hasn't already been said in the twenty preceding pages. I maintain a fleet of just ten ships, a self-imposed limit. So each ship that makes the cut must be useful, capable and serve a role. The DBX certainly does. I use it as my deep diver, and bubble runner. It's my transfer taxi too. For instance I recently moved to a new home after spending a couple years at my last home station. I use the DBX to return to the old home to grab a bigger more expensive ship, then whistle for the DBX, and fly back for another. Transfer costs are cheap on the DBX. I could afford to transfer them all lol, but I don't like burning it when I can come up with plans like this.

Due to the DBX's impressive jump I'll use it for things like engineering shield boosters for a new ship. Mount them on the DBX, fly it to Didi, and fly back to swap the finished boosters to the new ride.

Here's my Diamondback Explorer. Runs fairly cool, idles at 18% I think, could be cooler, but that works fine. Boost near 500. Jump near 65, depending on whether the rover is aboard. Some added integrity through a single 1D HRP, 'cause you never know!

Mad Hops

Later today I plan to mount the new, unlocked FSD, put Mass Manager on it and see what happens.

Here's Mad Hops on approach to Jaques on my Colonia expedition last spring. The ship performed flawlessly.

MadHopsJaques.jpg

For those of you wise to the ways of the street, you know the phrase Mad Hops means having exceptional jumping ability. My DBX shares the name, and for that reason. Mine isn't exceptional, but it does hop madder than any other ship I own. I flew this one to Colonia last year, about 29 thousand light years the way the drunk crow flies. And back too, of course, much more soberly. Fitted out for that trip, or the way I see fit, she had a jump range of 64 and change. Over time she had gained some weight, as they tend to do through the years. I remember when we first met, and I had taken her out to the engineers, and she jumped 70. But that one had little on it, and anyway was too slow dammit. D-rated thrusters lasted about 2 hours, and half of that was spent engineering them. First time I flew it out after, I hit boost, looked back at the station, and it was still about the same spot haha. No no no. That was the last time I used non-As in any ship.

And then I thought about how I would use it. It's going to be one of the fastest DBX's around (500 Coriolis-world boost), but I also need it to survive. So class 4 shields, even if they are Ds, and engineered as they are, weigh just 2t. And of course what is a DBX without a rover? And that integrity could use a boost. HD/DP HRP. And before long 70 jump was but a memory. With enough stuff dropped maybe it would come close. But then it wouldn't be mission-capable, instead some ideal that never got flown that way. I would still toss out the occasional "my 70 jump DBX", even if that was only what it showed on max. And claiming max is like the skydiver bragging about his free fall velocity one foot above the ground. OK, well not like that, it seemed more clever before I wrote it. But who jumps 70 light years on an empty tank? Dead skydivers, that's who. I made it work.

But thisclose to 65 jump range is good enough. Really it is. 70 though has a mystique to it, like shooting 63 at the Masters.

Then one day, actually yesterday, I walked in to a tech broker. Wasn't expecting to find anything, I never have before. But this time was different. Right there in front of me was the Class 5 Double Engineered Long Range Fast Boot FSD that was part of a CG I don't think I participated in. I had scoffed at it, as why would I need fast boot right? That's for min-max PvPers. And it costs mats, not money. You do not unlock it per se, you buy one with mats. Want a second one? Spend more mats. Want eight, lots of mats. Not cheap ones either. So I bought it, of course I did. Then I noticed what I had failed to already know. Fast Boot is not an experimental (double engineered!), and it has a higher optimal mass! It's not just long-range, it's longer-range. How did I not know this? So this means I can still add mass manager, keep the fast boot and get a better FSD than engineering allows. Yes please.

It just appears in your module storage. Do not buy one without the room! Bunch of hoarders 'round here, so this is possible haha. So tonight the first thing I did was swap to Mad Hops. What else? Installed the new FSD and flew to Felicity's shop. Added Mass Manager and boom, 70 light years jump. It took two jumps to get there, but only one to fly back. Some how the rover fell out, and I present the Madder Hops.

This thing has 71 (unladen) jump

I have ten ships in my fleet as mentioned and six of them have class 5 FSDs. Orca, DBX, and four Kraits haha. I guess most of the people reading this already knew what this FSD was, but I didn't. Not only am I glad I walked in to the tech broker, but that I had the mats!

Sometime later.... took my iEagle wake scanner out to scan some DWEs, but that was too slow, so flew to the Jameson Cobra to fill up on G5 encoded then traded enough to have 20 DWEs and bought two more of these. They do have higher mass, thermal load and power draw, plus lower integrity, according to the description, but the only differences I see are the 2s boot time, lower integrity, 16% higher thermal load and 8% higher optimal mass. Mass and power are the same. According to EDSY at least, idle is unchanged, still at 14%. I said 18% earlier but that was incorrect. FSD temp does increase four points, from 51 to 55%. For this sort of optimal mass increase it seems well worth the minor drawbacks. Going to try it in the Orca and one of the Kraits.

Last edited:
I just happened to click on a tech trader yesterday and saw a Engineered Class 5 FSD V1. This is the one with fast boot on it. I unlocked it because of course I did. I don't recall participating in whatever got it for me, but who cares haha. Is this the same one gthk? I was also thinking about putting it in my DBX with Mass Manager. hmmm
Yes, it is the one I mentioned. I got one free because I have join CG of delivery rare goods last time and unlock 2 more for my DBX and ASPX.

Just to throw the DBX build I currently have here. My goal was to hit 80ly (Max) and still be usable, and i hit it exactly (74.29 unladen)
DBX80

Couple of notes. An armoured A rated power plant seems counter intuitive for a max jump build but D rated only saved me 0.5t and would have meant going overchargerd making the already flimsy integrity even weaker (a concern given its the only module i cant repair myself). Armoured more than doubles the integrity as well as an extra 12% power output which is 'just' what I need to make it work. (Stripped down mitigates the extra weight a bit too)

The point defence is an optional extra for guardian site farming. I only left it on because it makes me hit my target of 80ly Max 'exactly' and the satisfaction that gives me means more than the 0.01ly range increase :). Theres power for a 1D mining laser too if you power down the AMFU

Oh and the FSD is the double engineered one from the community goal

I started out looking to do an Asp or Phantom build but honestly the DBX does everything I want at a fraction of the price with a longer jump range, so im in the club :)

Top Bottom