Diamondback Scout is SAD

Keep your gaudy cosmetics away from my beautiful DBS, dammit!
It's not really about the cosmetics from my perspective; it's the underlying lack of love from FD making the DBS relatively less effective as features were added over time. For example, the EPT for small ships & the military slots & the ludicrously OP emissive specials & the OP night vision in combat & the wasted potential for silent running in numerous ways throughout the game & probably some other things I've forgotten & finally, to add insult to injury, the exceedingly sparse cosmetics development.

Btw, why has no-one picked me up on my erroneous spelling of "libel" in an earlier post? This was a carefully planted, subtle IED at IndigoWyrd's expense - hell hath no fury like a butthurt DBS pilot:ROFLMAO:

Stealth fighting has been hit pretty hard as of late, but that's not the DBS' only use. Its a lot like the Mamba to the Viper MkIII's FDL. Two similar ships that perform equally well at very different roles. The Viper MkIII is more of an interceptor or jouster, the DBS, as has already been said, is better suited to dogfighting.

I love my DBS, and I'm not ashamed to say it. The best thing to happen with the April 2019 update was adding two size-1 modules to small ships. It's allowed me to use the DBS as a legitimate long range explorer. Yes, I know the Asp-X is great.... I own an ASP, as well as a Krait Phantom. But I keep coming back to the Scout because it's an absolute dream to fly. And now I can squeeze enough modules into my Scout where I no longer feel like I'm streaking through the quads when I leave the bubble.

Attachments

• 20191020223628_1.jpg
    20191020223628_1.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 164
Never flew one. Why do you fly the DBS? What does it have that the DBX doesn't? I own three or four DBXs, which I enjoy flying very much.

As a pure explorer, DBX wins out. For a very long time, I explored in a DBX, and I still own one. But the DBS is much more nimble. It turns much tighter, has a better boost, and I like having 4 hardpoints. The DBS has weak shields, and not alot of space, but it's just a blast to fly.

Great as a dogfighter, smuggler, or spy ship (fit it with a small recon limpet controller and heat sink). Probably the best stealth ship in the game. My runs like a fridge.

As noted in my prior post, I use it to explore as well. Been about 7,000+ LY from Sol in it without issues. I realize that's not super-far, but it's far enough to realize I could easily go farther in it without issues.

I'm getting about 40 LY per jump with full hardpoints and defenses, boosting to over 600 m/s as well. I'm sure people could push that by sacrificing weaspons, etc., but I don't feel any need to squeeze much more than that out of it. I can zip around anywhere, evade gankers, and easily defend myself from NPCs.

Last edited:
I have never done video capture of my vidya and don't care to get that ball rolling in order to prove myself to anons on a forum.

Avoiding the firing arc of a Corvette/Anaconda in a G5d DBS is not a feat by any stretch of the imagination. Be aggressive, don't boost and use vertical/lateral thrusters. Were Elite assassination missions pitting me against FAS/FDLs, I wouldn't be able to say the same. I have to switch to my Chieftain for Wing assassinations because my DBS that can takedown 10 Corvettes lined up takes a brutal beating against an FDL with Vulture wingmates. The same Chieftain can not, however, fight Corvettes while avoiding being hit.

Edit: By "stacking" Assassination missions, I mean ~10. I'd say 60% of my fights against Corvettes/Anacondas with my shieldless DBS result in zero damage taken. The other 40% land a stray round or two through the chaff during the second i'm in their arc.

Also, regarding module damage, why are you doing combat without MRP/AFMU? In the circumstances I receive a malfunction I break off to a safe orbit, repair, and get back in. I should also add that the Double Braced experimental is great.

It's a lot of fun going against an Anaconda in my DBS with lightweight + super penetrator rails.

How dare you put the Clipper among that list of worthless stinkboats! :eek:
To be fair, the Clipper got everything that made it great taken away bit by bit by other ships.
It used to be a better trader than the T7, not anymore after the T7 buff, though the Clipper is still faster and better armed.
It used to be the fastest serious combat ship, the Mamba trumped that, with better firepower even and more pad flexibility.
It used to be the only ship with two medium and two large hardpoints, the Phantom sits there now, and does so with way better convergence and beefier distributor.

How dare you put the Clipper among that list of worthless stinkboats! :eek:
I love the Clipper, but you have to admit that she is not among the most loved ships, both by players AND devs regarding the paintjobs, kits, etc.
As for the rest of my list, how dare you calling them stinkboats!

Its not a useless ship, its one of only a few good fighter craft that also has a long range. Compared to the Viper MkIII, its slightly slower and can't fit enhanced performance thrusters, but its also much more agile, with a stronger hull, and four utility mounts allowing it to achieve much stronger shields as well. It also features excellent hardpoint placement and has the second best heat management of any ship in the game. All this while being able to jump 40+ LY engineered.

It is a little bit of a niche vessel, I'll grant you that, but its certainly not useless.
Bingo. The only ship that comes close in the "I want to kick your backside but you're on the other side of the bubble" stakes is the viper mk4, which is a touch less nimble and far less cold-running with inferior hardpoint placement.

To be fair, the Clipper got everything that made it great taken away bit by bit by other ships.
It used to be a better trader than the T7, not anymore after the T7 buff, though the Clipper is still faster and better armed.
It used to be the fastest serious combat ship, the Mamba trumped that, with better firepower even and more pad flexibility.
It used to be the only ship with two medium and two large hardpoints, the Phantom sits there now, and does so with way better convergence and beefier distributor.

I've never owned a Clipper, so I can't speak to how it compares versus a Chieftain, Mamba or Phantom.

Those are the 3 ships I fly when I'm not picking up hot chicks in my cool DBS.... :geek:

Last edited:
The Clipper gets Iridescent. What more does it need???

And the Clipper is a great ship. A small contingent of vocal malcontents want it to become a dedicated medium combat ship when it is already an amazing mid-tier hauler when compared to the T7.

Top Bottom