Did I just save myself 100M Credits?

I do however enjoy reading how everyone else finds uses and enjoys their large ships, good luck to you all :D
My Corvettes (2 accounts) are essentially 'Armed Traders' most of the time, with up to 400t cargo space can stack a few missions.
Also nimble enough, for a large ship, to use for BH & CZ work...

I also flew the main's 'vette to Colonia from the bubble, still fully armed etc. with an extra 32t fuel tank... jump range 30.01Ly - it actually makes for a 'comfy' explorer too :)

Deleted member 182079

D
Shields eat up a lot of cargo space and if the ship can move at all, evasion and hull will usually suffice. Probably wouldn't bother with a shieldless Cutter (too vulnerable) or Conda (light enough that a fairly small shield gen will do the trick), but my Krait and Corvette cargo setups are shieldless.

Omitting shields does require competent hull defenses and a bit of escape experience, but a fast ship can usually get away before taking much damage (the goal is to not get shot at all, of course) and larger ships have so many internals that they can take quite a beating if you just fill the smaller ones with HRPs and MRPs (though if im in especially dangerous areas, I'll also take a shielded FSD then sacrifice my smallest cargo rack for an FSD booster to make up for it).

As for being followed out of stations...most orbis and occulus starports are longer than their masslock zone, so if you even think someone may be following you (never ignore those unresolved contacts), hug the the station until you are out of mass lock...most people will refrain from shooting and risking hitting the station and by the time you're clear, you're jumping. Won't protect from ramming, but the Kraits are fast and boosty enough to dodge most of that. Coriolis stations are a bit trickier to get out of while being pursued, but even looping around the station and going silent will throw some people...might need to wait until they are distracted before you launch. If I think someone is waiting for me, I'll return to surface and reenter the hangar a few times to see if they make a ram attempt or look like they are preparing to follow.

Regardless, in high-risk areas, situational awareness is 90% of defense.
All good advice, thanks - to be honest, I can't remember what engineering my Phantom had (it certainly wasn't G5'd in many places iirc) - all I do remember is all optionals were full of cargo (no space for MRPs which are normally standard issue for all my ships), not much else - hull was engineered but the issue wasn't hull damage but modules. The CMDR in question has a certain notoriety and got me a few times, especially during my early days (I've wised up in the meantime and this Phantom episode was more to test boundaries than anything else) .

I took a gamble in the end as I was wondering if he'd follow me (we were both docked at the time), I noticed him but hoped I could sneak out unnoticed while he was AFK or maybe was distracted by something else in-game (clearly that wasn't the case).

He was in his usual Meta-Fer-De-Rails so getting distance between him and me was always going to be difficult, my drives may have been G4/5'd but he still managed to keep up. With LR rails I guess it makes it easier for him to hit me, and I didn't bother moving around due to the way hitscan works (I loathe that myself tbh), in hindsight though I should've put myself into a spin maybe but didn't think that far at the time.

I had maybe 2-3 seconds left on the FSD until he managed to disable my FSD enough for it to fail, then drives, and in the end my modules were all toast enough for him to finish me off. As I said, it was soo darn close for me to escape - I laughed at the screen when I managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. GG to him.

Deleted member 182079

D
Big ships are only good in 3 situations:

1 - Mining
2 - Those rare places where it's easy to quickly stack a lot of transport missions to the same destination (like in the Pleiades for instance).
3 - Community goals

Aside from Mining where I always take my trusty Type-10, I still prefer medium ships as they're much more fun to fly while still being versatile.

As for wing missions, yes they stink. I wish I could toggle them off and get more regular missions instead.
I would've added CZ's to that list (previously my Corvette was in charge of those) as they're such ridiculous hull/shield tanks, but since I built a Vulture for that purpose I changed my mind. That thing is a beast and it can last, too. Much more agile and fun to fly also and manage to not get shot at by larger vessels at all as a result. It's pretty hilarious.

Deleted member 182079

D
Almost impossible to avoid hitscan, and a lot of individuals/wings packing rails will also bring emissive, so you do need a tough enough FSD and an MRP to stand a fair chance at escape from a decent rail gunner. Good hull resists don't hurt either.
Yeah I've broadened my Horizon (hur-hur) recently by not going with the standard FSD engineering i.e. long distance with mass manager, and at times considering the B variant of the module in combination with fast reboot or reinforced. It's been quite interesting to see how many options there are that I never really made use of.

With big holds I can string together a route that makes 5 to 6 million a stop minimum. Most times I can do my own missions and pay better than the wing missions do in my T-9. I don't mission stack much though. Having a a wolf-pack of Anaconda's chain interdicting me in a T-9 SUCKS and is not fun at all.

Hey so I didn't get far in the thread before getting way sidetracked but I do want to say that "losing half the missions" due to not being able to land on Medium pads may be a factor, but keep in mind that you can only really carry so much, anyway. Odds are you can still fill your hold from missions to stations and surface installations with large pads so you're only kiiiiind of missing out. Medium pads are really important if you're doing a lot of data delivery (or for the odd follow-on mission).

I use my Cutter for PP fortification
Rick uses the Beluga for the same thing I'm pretty sure.

I mean if he did Powerplay, what were you thinking

I use both a Type 9 and Cutter (with a fabled class 5 shield) with a 752T cargo capacity.

Cutter is used for when I expect to get interdicted by pirates as it is more than capable of fighting them off. As long as I can reach the destination without refuelling, cannot make to many jumps.
Type 9 is used for the long range hauling, as it have a considerate range without refuelling. It is beefed, up so that I easily can survive pirates until security arrives.

The most profitably missions trade missions I do have found is wing source and return missions, at my home based, we get these from time to time, where the payout is 20-50+ million, the profit is not that, as you have to pay for the stuff to get, so doing these solo, you are likely to end up spending 50% of the earnings on actually buying the cargo. But still 2-3 runs for 25 million is some easy cash. the biggest to check before accepting is what is the stuff you are to get located, as there is a reason for why they pay well for it, limited supply or far away (could be in either LY or LS) , or you cannot use a big ship as it is only available at an outpost. So these are opportunistic missions, spot them and see if they are worth while... And if you have friends to share the load, the profit quickly goes up... the cost of buying the stuff is shared and thus the profit increases... And if you are lucky, they want the stuff that basically is in the neighbouring system...

Compared to mining it is not as profitably, but still a relaxing activity to relax with after doing some some intense combat/bounty hunting...

For mining, I have a Type 9 with 512T cargo capacity doing laser mining. I rarely mine a full cargo hold, but thanks to the range, I have had very few issues travel longer distances between mining and selling the stuff, without the need for a fuel scoop.
For deep core mining, I still use my Asp Explorer... And I still prefer my Laser mining snail of Type 9... as it does not take that much time to find the next rock to profit from... and as I have OK shields I can make quick stops by simply use the rock as a stopping block... so boost between rocks in a Type 9 works really great when you do not need to worry about how slow it will stop.

Last edited:
For mining, I have a Type 9 with 512T cargo capacity doing laser mining. I rarely mine a full cargo hold, but thanks to the range, I have had very few issues travel longer distances between mining and selling the stuff, without the need for a fuel scoop.
Does an outfitted T9 have a good enough range? I was tinkering with one the other day for what I realized was the first time and I've been hesitant to really invest much time in it for a mining boat, because I usually sell to markets far enough that I don't want to be jumping a dozen times one-way.

It flies like a parking garage, also.

Does an outfitted T9 have a good enough range? I was tinkering with one the other day for what I realized was the first time and I've been hesitant to really invest much time in it for a mining boat, because I usually sell to markets far enough that I don't want to be jumping a dozen times one-way.

It flies like a parking garage, also.
It can be around 220+ LY fully laden... Plenty for most bubble hopping - less if no Guardian FSDB though...

Will still fly like an iceberg though ;)

For me, its really off putting not being able to land at outposts, so much that I won't be buying any large ships

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Disclaimer: This thread is not about FDev, bugs, blue buttons, ARX, DSS, PvP or PP - I apologise in advance :D

Okay, here is the story. I like doing missions, specifically fetch and haulage missions. I like trying to group together a bunch of missions to minimalize jumps and maximise profit. And I do all of this in my trusty workhorse, the Phoenix Huey, a Python with 256T of Cargo space. I even take on wing missions solo if the quantity is less than 1250T.

Lately though I have been thinking about going B I G and getting either a Conda, T9 or T10 for those really big missions. Even spent a bit of time on Coriolis theory crafting the ships based on what capabilities including offensive and defensive I am use to. For your rabid interest the Conda worked out at 400T, the T10 at 464T and finally the T9 at 704T. Oh in case your wondering I discounted the Cutter and the Corvette because I don't have the rank (and after flying the Cutter during the last beta I swore I would never plonk my butt in one again).

But then reality came and kicked me in the butt. I had a good look at the mission board and tried to work out what I would use this new ship for? Already I noticed that I would lose over half the missions due to the inability to land at a platform. Then even for the large Wing missions, after doing the math worked out they paid well a colloquial term for biowaste. Seriously, moving 5000T of anything for 5M credits, not worth me leaving the station!. So looking at the situation in a holistic way, there is really no benefit to my understanding in getting a bigger ship that would get used for maybe one mission in twenty.

Here is where you, the wonderful Community of like minded Commanders come in. Tell me what you use your big cargo ships for, is it just for straight trade, only doing big wing missions or stacking every available mission together then filling the rest of the space on your ship with opportunistic cargo?

Thank you, I now return you to the normal whining and complaining about every aspect of the game :D

There are wing missions that pay up to 50 million per run :)

High pop system, busy economy, allied rep.

I have a nice refinery system where all the deliveries are to the same station nearby. It's easy to fill a Cutter and earn about 30Mcr for one hop.

Top Bottom