Didn't hear the scan warning? Going to murder you then.

At least half my on-foot deaths happen because I'm innocently walking by and I fail to hear or see the warning from some ole guard that wants to scan me for crimes I haven't done (yet). Then they shoot at me and kill me and my "pick up the McGuffin" quest fails and I have to get a shuttle and wait for my ship to arrive. If I do manage to make it to my ship, they destroy my ship, and now I have a rebuy - but at least it's quicker because I don't have to wait for it.

HOW IS THIS FUN? It is not fun. It's rubbish. If I wanted to get murdered for not hearing what a cop said, I'd move to Alabama. For the gods sakes please remove this asinine mechanic.

I think it's fine.
I mean, it would be fine to get one. A fine. Not death.
Walking through a friendly settlement is like walking through a minefield.

"Hey, friendly Commander, let me scan you real fast... Not listening is a crime punishable by death!" blat blat blat

Last edited:
Maybe just escalate my fines until you catch me and then I pay the fines and you scan me and we fuggedaboudit? No, no we go from zero to murder in 15 seconds.

There needs to be a greater distinction between fines and bounties. You should not get attacked for fines at all. No need for anonymous access, instead you get a nagging mail to pay up your fines. With a warning at what date your fine turns into a bounty. And for scanning, you first get a fine, a fine warning, then you know something is up and you can approach the guard in question before you get considered trying to escape and considered kill on sight, with the failure to comply fine turned into a bounty. Tiers of escalation with the player having the opportunity to de-escalate if they are actually not out on evading security.

Last edited:
fines should not trigger aggression from NPCs. It should just be "a fine". If an NPC "System Authority" intercepts/scans you, on foot or by ship, he should be able to force you to pay (automatic dialogue bubble, like when entering a conflict zone). If you don't want to pay, only then the fine becomes a bounty and the aggression can start.
On the other hand, in the stations I don't see what the problem is: it is normal to pay the fine first before using the facilities. After all, our name (and/or the ship's name) is tagged as owing money to the station administrators.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Absolutely agree. Right now AI knows only one reaction - death. And it applies it to every single trigger.
It's definitely not fun.

You have a radar (the inner red circle is the range a guard will scan you if you enter)
You have an audio warning
You have a visual warning

Seriously, don't even get close to the guards, and keep situational awareness and 99% of all scans go away.

I don't get why so many people get caught by this.

The Sly Fox game, also known as Grandmother’s Footsteps, calls for stealth, patience, and the ability to stay very, very still. It can be played with as few as two players, or as many as ten. Younger kids especially love it, as the suspense of creeping towards their target without getting caught can land them in hysterics.
oh and fill out a bug report and send it to your recycling bin like a good customer.

The problem is not so much the scanning of the guards. The problem is more their behavior when they refuse to comply.
A refusal to scan should trigger a fine. A second refusal to scan (with a fine already active) should turn the fine into a bounty and make the guards aggressive.
A scan with an active fine should trigger a dialog bubble to ask us to pay. A refusal to pay would trigger the aggression.

Entering a forbidden area should trigger the NPCs in range (visual only, not the guard in another room) and ask us to leave. After X seconds this would be considered as a refusal to comply and would trigger the aggression (or just a call for help if it's a civilian NPC).

Currently the NPCs are in ON/OFF either they are neutral or they are hostile and seek our death.
There are no friendly NPCs (even in a conflict zone after a victory) There is no graduation in their answers

The problem is not so much the scanning of the guards. The problem is more their behavior when they refuse to comply.
A refusal to scan should trigger a fine. A second refusal to scan (with a fine already active) should turn the fine into a bounty and make the guards aggressive.
A scan with an active fine should trigger a dialog bubble to ask us to pay. A refusal to pay would trigger the aggression.

Entering a forbidden area should trigger the NPCs in range (visual only, not the guard in another room) and ask us to leave. After X seconds this would be considered as a refusal to comply and would trigger the aggression (or just a call for help if it's a civilian NPC).

Currently the NPCs are in ON/OFF either they are neutral or they are hostile and seek our death.
There are no friendly NPCs (even in a conflict zone after a victory) There is no graduation in their answers
You could game this and a multi-step escalation would make covert missions even easier.

That already happens, you can hear them shout at you to get out, and if you do it is forgotten.

They've made the audio an important part of this gameplay, I guess a lot are like me and don't play with it very loud.

The balancing of the missions should come after the core gameplay. The secret mission is too easy. Guards can be added, maybe specific guards near the target. The target can be very protected. The presence of motion sensors, automatic turrets inside the buildings. Many thing can be add to increase (or decrease) difficulty... But after a good core gameplay

That already happens, you can hear them shout at you to get out, and if you do it is forgotten.

They've made the audio an important part of this gameplay, I guess a lot are like me and don't play with it very loud.
Oh, I didn't try recently but I remember NPC direclty in red weapons ready immediatly after my outrepassing.
I remember a guard who was in another room, behind a 90° corridor, who came to get me when I had entered an empty room.

But yeah, maybe the AI have been improved since on this point

Yup saturation bombing low altitude passes wipes em out pretty quickly. Then I don't have to worry about being scanned. Any stragglers are dispatched with the srvs blasters.
Then it's loot n shoot.
Don't forget your limpets!
Can we have a grappling hook while I'm here.

Oh, I didn't try recently but I remember NPC direclty in red weapons ready immediatly after my outrepassing.
I remember a guard who was in another room, behind a 90° corridor, who came to get me when I had entered an empty room.

But yeah, maybe the AI have been improved since on this point
I definitely wandered past a restricted barrier, got shouted at and ran away without consequences. Not saying it works like that every time though... and I think that was a civilian, not sure if guards are as lenient.

You have a radar (the inner red circle is the range a guard will scan you if you enter)
You have an audio warning
You have a visual warning

Seriously, don't even get close to the guards, and keep situational awareness and 99% of all scans go away.

I don't get why so many people get caught by this.
This needs to be repeated - it's not about the scanning of the guards (although that is also an issue because why would the same guard scan you over and over in a course of several minutes?).

It is about the response - Elite AI responds to everything by death. And that is just stupid.

This needs to be repeated - it's not about the scanning of the guards (although that is also an issue because why would the same guard scan you over and over in a course of several minutes?).

It is about the response - Elite AI responds to everything by death. And that is just stupid.
Why? How do you react if you see a wanted NPC in a Res site as a bounty hunter? How many times do you ask the NPC to surrender and pay off his bounty?
It's the way the game works. Be wanted, get blasted. shrugs

Top Bottom