Diergaarde Blijdorp Rotterdam recreation

From the moment Planet Zoo was released, I already thought, this would be something I needed to do.

Notice:
Not all animals are yet in the game, so some are swapped with similar ones, or ones that Blijdorp does not have. And not everything is in the same scale as real life (Oceanium in my version is much smaller).

Actual park map of real Blijdorp (The English one is still outdated, so I used the Dutch one). The entrance is at the bottom.
Plattegrond.jpg

Google earth shot of Entrance area
Blijdorp.jpg

My own entrance area.
703080_screenshots_20191215222016_1.jpg

Zoo Entrance
703080_screenshots_20191215221609_1.jpg

No sea lions (yet), so Sea Crocodiles.
703080_screenshots_20191215221624_1.jpg

Oceanium has a really nice glass hallway with aquaria. Not yet in Planet Zoo, so let's imagine there are sharks there....
703080_screenshots_20191215221634_1.jpg

The 2nd part of the Oceanium holds many reptiles, so I created this exhibit area with around 12 exhibits.
703080_screenshots_20191215221646_1 (1).jpg

Normally after the reptiles the penguins follow, but I skipped those (for now). But did make the new Lemur area they just opened last year.

703080_screenshots_20191215221704_1.jpg

703080_screenshots_20191215221715_1.jpg

At the entrance area are the raccoons as well next to the restaurant terrace. But no raccoons, for now Aardvarks instead.
703080_screenshots_20191215221730_1.jpg

Part 2 incoming.

Last edited:
Normally after the Raccoons you would find arctic Foxes (wish they where in the pack). But instead of those, I used the Snow Leopard.

703080_screenshots_20191215221756_1.jpg

And as a replacement of the Bald Eagle, I use the Red Lemurs.

703080_screenshots_20191215221808_1.jpg

And this will be the polar bear habitat to be. It only needs decoration.
703080_screenshots_20191215221817_1.jpg

And this I completed yesterday, the American Bison area.

703080_screenshots_20191215221847_1.jpg

Looking forward to your comments. I hope you enjoyed it so far.

Normally after the reptiles the penguins follow, but I skipped those (for now).
Maybe you could build the Penguin-Enclosure and use the Penguin-Statue I've made, as a Placeholder until we get Penguins

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Not easy to recreate a real park, especially when there is a lack of animal species in the game.
Very good start, good continuation.
The entry dome is very successful, congratulations.

• Like (+1)
Update:

After some trial and errors I was able to build the Amazonica dome the right size and made a indoor Nile Monitor habitat. Althought the dome in Blijdorp contains butterflies and large fishes, I wanted to make a real habitat.

Also inside the dome they have some reptile exhibits. Although the dome is Amazone inspired, I have to work with other animals.

Around the dome you can also find the prairie dogs, while I have used the Chinese Pangolin, and there is a large patch of grass right in front of the dome, alongside the main path that normally holds Emu's and Alpaca's. But I used the Pronghorns.

Part-2-10.jpg

Real image of the area involved. The Amazonica dome is prominently placed on top of a small hill.

Part-2-2.jpg

In game image of same area.

Part-2-3.jpg

Inside Amazonica.

Part-2-5.jpg

Inside Amazonica.

Part-2-6.jpg

Pronghorn Area

Part-2-7.jpg

Chinese Pangolins (but I hope we can get Prairie dogs).

Part-2-8.jpg

View from Bison area towards Amazonica, to the right is a lookout point for the Bisons before entering Amazonica.

Part-2-9.jpg

View from Oceanium.

Part-2-1.jpg

Current progress in one shot.

I really like this Glass Dome. I wish I could be so good in building them. I needed almost a Eternity to build the Turtleshell shaped Glass Dome for my Aldabra Tortoises

• Like (+1)
Very well done. Not just the zoo, but also the screenshots and the thread format, very enjoyable to scroll through. Looking forward to more!

• Like (+1)
Very well done. Not just the zoo, but also the screenshots and the thread format, very enjoyable to scroll through. Looking forward to more!

Thank you! I'm enjoying the build as well, can't keep it resting when I'm at home.
Will try to keep having regularly updates!

I really like this Glass Dome. I wish I could be so good in building them. I needed almost a Eternity to build the Turtleshell shaped Glass Dome for my Aldabra Tortoises

Thanks. It's a method I used in Planet Coaster as well.
It's not that tough, if you know the basics.

Deladysigner has a good Tutorial Video about this building method.

Thanks. It's a method I used in Planet Coaster as well.
It's not that tough, if you know the basics.

Deladysigner has a good Tutorial Video about this building method.

Thanks, I will try this Method next Time I'll try to build a Dome. Maybe it was just that difficult because I used the hexagonal Glass-Pieces and wanted it to look like a Turtleshell

• Like (+1)
Thanks, I will try this Method next Time I'll try to build a Dome. Maybe it was just that difficult because I used the hexagonal Glass-Pieces and wanted it to look like a Turtleshell

That was my first line of approach, but it's almost impossible to make a dome like shape with that.

Another small update of the work I've done during Christmas. I've been building the Lion's exhibits. Those buildings are actually the original habitats where the Giraffe's used to live.

The building is constructed in 1939, and is one of the 21 State Monuments that Blijdorp has.

Below a picture where most of the work is done. Still need to complete some small things and decorate with more foliage.

PZ-4-1.jpg

And a Google Earth shot for comparison.

PZ-4-2.jpg

Another weekend, another update.

I'm having much fun with this recreation, and keep updating my park.
Sidenote: I realised it's hard to make everything to scale, so I dropped that. And as long as it looks like the real thing, I'm fine. I don't mind if the size doesn't match up.

Overview of the area in real life I'm currently working on.

PZ-5-10.jpg

Several habitat's have been completed. From left to right: Lion's habitat, Gazelles and on the right top corner, the Bongo's.
These are all in Blijdorp as well (Gazelle's and lions being different sub-species, but I don't mind.

PZ-5-3.jpg

Restaurant area, and Lion's enclosure.

PZ-5-4.jpg

View when walking under the train tracks.

PZ-5-5.jpg

Normally there is a large offroad vehicle from where you can look at the Lion's. I just made a wooden shelter for this instead.

PZ-5-6.jpg

Blijdorp has Mhorr-gazelle's, but I placed the Thomson's there. They are very happy (althought the protestors are in doubt of that).

PZ-5-7.jpg

Across the Gazelle's, there is the Bongo habitat.

PZ-5-9+.jpg

Next up is Taman Indah, which will house the Asian Elephants (Indian), Tapir's and the Indian Rhinoceros. There is also a type of Gibbon's there. Need to look in what the alternatives are. Also it will house some small exhibit animals. The large outside terrain below is for the Elephants. The building of Taman Indah will have a bit larger footprint though, which needs adjusting.

PZ-5-2.jpg

And a full overview of the Zoo so far.

PZ-5-1.jpg

Another Update. Been working hard on Taman Indah and it's inhabitants during the last few days.

The habitats completed are the Tapir's, Indian Elephants, Japanese Macaque, and 2 exhibits, the indoor area for the Indian Rhinoceros is done, next up will be the continuation of the path to the north into the far corner of the zoo.

Latest work in one shot.

20200106222413_1.jpg

Elephant area. paths surrounding it on a ridge. Covered with some rock work and lots of trees.

20200106222443_1.jpg

Tapir habitat across the Elephants on the edge of the zoo.

20200106222456_1.jpg

Elephant lookout before entering Taman Indah.

20200106222506_1.jpg

Entering Taman Indah.

20200106222538_1.jpg

Overview from the left. To the right are the Japanese Macaques. (you can spot the snow).

20200106222603_1.jpg

Tapir Indoor area.

20200106222621_1.jpg

Elephant indoor area, with backstage resting area.

20200106222721_1.jpg

View of guest area Taman Indah from the Elephants.

20200106222739_1.jpg

Full overview. To the left is the bordered of area where the outside area of the Rhinoceros will be.

20200106222835_1.jpg

Top Bottom