Dinosaur Comfort Requirements

I just spent a good bit of time compiling a list of all the dinosaurs and their social, population, grass, and forest needs. Figured it would be helpful for many here. Grassland and forest are listed as meters squared just like it appears in game. Also after doing some testing, to get the proper size pen you need to add the grassland and forest sizes together to get total pen size needed. The numbers listed are also the bare minimum pen size required to keep the animals happy.

Spreadsheet can be found here

Last edited:
Great list Jester, thank you for all the effort. Much appreciated. I collected screens for every species over the last days. So this helps a lot. But do we have any in-game data that shows how big a enclosure actually is? Would help to "translate" the data.

Unfortunately no, not that I've been able to find. That is something they could add in an update that would be a huge help. Unless it is somewhere and I've just somehow missed it.

I think a tool to show how much grassland and forest is inside an enclosure would be a nice future quality of life thing that wouldn’t instantly break the game because people would still have the issue of space within the confines of the island so picking the perfect rex paddock could cost you 3 paddock of other species.

I agree the 0 seems odd, and I'm frankly not sure why Frontier did it that way. I was just listing them exactly as they appear in game.

Excellent for quick reference guide to helping to keep your dinos -- HAPPY !! :)

Well - it seems the large carnivores all prefer low social populations, and large fairly grasslands with a modest amount of forests.

The sauropods are basically divided into two groups. The whip-tails (Apatosaurus and Diplodocus) - which seem to prefer more grasslands relative to forests. And the high browers - (Brachiosaurus, Camarasaurus, and Mamenchisaurus) - which tend to prefer a equal or greater amount of forests relative to grasslands.

I asked for this to be pinned or pinned in the FAQs section - nice reference!

(And why do Rex want so much grassland? I thought in the films they always hid in forests?)

You, sir/madame, are a scholar and a gentleman/gentlewoman... Such an awesome reference sheet, instantly printed out a quick 3 column reference sheet using your post...

Awesome, glad to know it's helping. After doing some testing I added a bit more info about pen size into the original post.

(And why do Rex want so much grassland? I thought in the films they always hid in forests?)

Well - just look at their main prey animals - Triceratops, Torosaurus, Edmontosaurus, and Pachycephalosaurus - are all species which tend to prefer pens with at least 60-70% grassland. And predators like T.rex always tend to go where the prey is.

Still an 80/20 grassland/forest split seems a bit excessive. I would have thought it was going to be more like - 16,500/10,000 - which is more of a 62/38 split.

I agree, the split between forest and grasland is annoying when it comes to designing a good looking enclosure for big carnivores, I always want to hide the fences with forest but I can't if the enclosure is rather small.

Another annoying feature - is why do the small carnivores require such large pens.

Deinonychus, Dilophosaurus and Velociraptor all require pens of at least 19,500-20,000 - which seems excessive when you considered that the big carnivores require pens of 23,000-31,000.

Yes - I realize that the small carnivores tend to be more pack based predators. But there is also a huge difference in the size of these dinosaurs. A single giant theropod may out weigh a dozen small theropods by 2-3 times.

In my personal opinion - I wish the pen size ranges for the carnivores had been as follows.

- 10.000-14,000 for small theropods - 3-6 meters (Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Dilophosaurus)
- 15,000-20,000 for the medium size theropods - 7-10 meters (Majungasaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, Baryonyx)
- 20,000-25,000 for large theropods - 10-13 meters - (Carnotaurus, Suchomimus, Allosaurus)
- 25,000-31,000 for giant theropods - 13-15 meters (T.rex, Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus & Indominus rex)

Top Bottom