Dinosaur sounds

During all the gameplay we've seen so far, one of the things I've noticed is the lack of variation in sounds emitted from the dinosaurs. My main concern is with the T-rex. I may be wrong, but they have only ever shown her making the same roar. The T-rex particularly has a huge variety of noises in the JP franchise and it would be a shame if this was lacking in the game.

Have any of you guys noticed this?

In fact, my comment about the T-rex roar is accurate. It's literally the same roar; perhaps there is variation in length but its basically the same pitch. There are SO many good T-rex roars from the first movie in particular and it will be a shame if some aren't incorperated.

Also, will we be able to hear the dinosaurs from across the park? I could see how that could get ridiculous if every dinosaur in the park were simultaneously making noise, but surely there could be some sort of system to regulate the number of dinosaurs making sound at once? And perhaps they could only be from a certain radius. It would be shame if you zoomed a hundred meters away from a Brachiosaurus or T-rex and couldn't hear them anymore.

I would rather not hear them so clearly if I chose to zoom out. So basically the closer you get to a dinosaur, the better you should be able to hear it and vice versa. That'd be good for me.

No opinion on the variety in sounds from each dinosaur. I'm already happy with the sounds they make.

JPOG had a number of different sounds per dinosaur. I think the T. Rex had something around 7 different sounds. So I don't see why this game shouldn't include that. In fact, this is something so obvious I have no doubt it will be in the game. If not then it would be ridiculous and extremely lazy.

I would rather not hear them so clearly if I chose to zoom out. So basically the closer you get to a dinosaur, the better you should be able to hear it and vice versa. That'd be good for me.

No opinion on the variety in sounds from each dinosaur. I'm already happy with the sounds they make.

I'm not asking to hear dinosaurs as clearly from far away as you would close up. It would just add to the ambience if you heard dinosaur noises echoing around the island.
And you're ok with one roar per carnivore?

The sound of a distant T-Rex and maybe the occasional Brachiosaur singing, echoing through the valley - would be epic.

Frontier are (rightly) very proud of their sound design team. I find it pretty unlikely there won't be a range of sounds, from all the dinos in the end. (I'm also at the conclusion that the gameplay demos we've seen are just that, gameplay demos, not dino demos).

There's a very short mention of the distance to sound, scaling technique FDev use, in Planet Coaster, about 2 minutes into this ...
[video=youtube;7tyWUT0UsZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyWUT0UsZE[/video]

The sound of a distant T-Rex and maybe the occasional Brachiosaur singing, echoing through the valley - would be epic.

Frontier are (rightly) very proud of their sound design team. I find it pretty unlikely there won't be a range of sounds, from all the dinos in the end. (I'm also at the conclusion that the gameplay demos we've seen are just that, gameplay demos, not dino demos).

There's a very short mention of the distance to sound, scaling technique FDev use, in Planet Coaster, about 2 minutes into this ...

The attention to detail shown in that clip is unbelieveable. It makes me so excited that these people are working on this game and bringing that level of competence and care to it.

I sometimes worry about this game simply because I've never been more excited about a game in my entire life; but to see how much the team cares about previous games and the amount of detail they go to is very reassuring.

As for sound, you would think that what you and I are talking about would be implemented out of sheer necessity for this to truly feel like a dinosaur game. Its kind of funny that the exact same thing that I spoke about was addressed in that video so good find!

Last edited:
It is very odd that most of the Tyrannosaurus vocalizations they've shown have been the same or very similar. I'm not THAT worried because the other dinosaurs have shown a variety of vocalizations. The Brachiosaurus especially displayed some unique vocalizations that might actually be new to the franchise.

[video=youtube;HVnk3yT2Lgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVnk3yT2Lgo&t=38s[/video]

Last edited:
I would personally love to hear all of these! I especially want to hear the last roar from JP1 ending after the fight with the raptors!
[video=youtube_share;Ha1jyRRI9fI]https://youtu.be/Ha1jyRRI9fI[/video]

Last edited:
I'm not asking to hear dinosaurs as clearly from far away as you would close up. It would just add to the ambience if you heard dinosaur noises echoing around the island.
And you're ok with one roar per carnivore?

In fact yes, I would be. Sure it is possible and it would be extra. But I am not someone who looks at a game that hasn't come out yet and sees all the things that are "missing". I just enjoy what is in it instead of be bummed out about what isn't.

In my opinion I have seen suggestions from people which seem pretty far fetched, even unrealistic and things that don't really fit in the general concept of the game. Once again, my opinion: I think that a lot of people might end up being disapointed because of the things that aren't in it instead of focussing on the good of the game. And that'sa shame.

This is what the T-Rex really sounded like.

If the T-Rex in this game doesn't sound the same then the game will be a total failure. ;)

[video=youtube;cpipaUfcnmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpipaUfcnmM[/video]

In fact yes, I would be. Sure it is possible and it would be extra. But I am not someone who looks at a game that hasn't come out yet and sees all the things that are "missing". I just enjoy what is in it instead of be bummed out about what isn't.

In my opinion I have seen suggestions from people which seem pretty far fetched, even unrealistic and things that don't really fit in the general concept of the game. Once again, my opinion: I think that a lot of people might end up being disapointed because of the things that aren't in it instead of focussing on the good of the game. And that'sa shame.

That line of reasoning is fairly flawed for a few reasons. For one, I am simply putting foward observations that I have made from the all gameplay released so far. I have made no comment about the qaulity of the game as a whole.

Secondly, whilst I agree there has been a lot of unrealistic expectation put on this game; it is neither unrealistic or far fetched to assume that a game based around creating a dinosaur park, from a franchise renowned for making THE most iconic animal noises in the history of cinema, to include both a variety of animal sounds AND ambient sound to the park.

Now, I could see how a post like this could be misinterpreted as me critisizing Frontier but that is absolutely not the case. It was merely me voicing a concern, and yes, it might be silly to do so when the game isn't out yet, but the main idea behind these forums is for us to share our ideas about what would create the best JP game of all time.

Let me be clear that "my flawed reasoning" is my own opinion, so it is not flawed. Secondly I merely replied to your question if that one sound would really be fine for me and why.

I mean no offence at all, but you just went all defensive against me about things i never said. Because I don't see your original post as criticism. If I would have thought it then I would have said it. But this forum section is a discussion one, which i replied with my own opinion/perspectives on things. So I litterally said that having the multiple sounds is possible and extra it just isn't my main focus and I wouln't like the game less without it.

I've been reading a lot here, including your posts and I've been giving rep regularly and all of my own replies are opinion based like most :) i do see a lot of misinterpretations and that's a shame. And there will always be people bluntly kicking other's opinions in the face, but maybe we all should just ignore those comments or back each other up like how yesterday a trolling toppic got closed :)

One thing I'm not worried about *at all* is sound design. Frontier have one of the best audio teams in the industry, and I fully expect them to knock it out of the (Jurassic) park with this game.

Also, will we be able to hear the dinosaurs from across the park? I could see how that could get ridiculous if every dinosaur in the park were simultaneously making noise, but surely there could be some sort of system to regulate the number of dinosaurs making sound at once? And perhaps they could only be from a certain radius. It would be shame if you zoomed a hundred meters away from a Brachiosaurus or T-rex and couldn't hear them anymore.

I think this is a brilliant point for discussion.

I'd like it if each dinosaurs vocals carried different distances - reflecting how loud each dinosaur is/was. e.g. the T-Rex call should carry accross the park but the Stegasaurus call should only reach half(?) way across the park.

Each dino should have varied levels of vocals, ( quiet, loud, etc.) - lets face it, it's not like we always walking around shouting everything.

Top Bottom