Dinosaurs and extinct animals DLC

Honestly we have millions of species living on our planet now, we don’t need to bring in Dinosaurs 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’d rather people be educated about the amazing species we have rather than animals that lived 65 million years ago. Luckily I highly doubt they have any plans to bring prehistoric animals to planet zoo

Maybe an exibit that shows and talks about past animals. I think that might be the best way to bring in extinct animals.. But bringing them fully into the game may cause a mixed reaction.. We can learn from the past to fix the present and future.. But in all honesty, do you think we should bring back the past? If you do, explain why?

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in being a matchmaker for existing and extinct animals.

Looking at the number of species today:

Animal group​
Number of species​
Vertebrates
Amphibians​
6,199​
Birds​
9,956​
Fish​
30,000​
Mammals​
5,416​
Reptiles​
8,240​
Subtotal​
59,811​
Invertebrates
Insects​
950,000​
Molluscs​
81,000​
Crustaceans​
40,000​
Corals​
2,175​
Others​
130,200​
Subtotal​
1,203,375​
I'd rather have the other 1.263.113‬ species first. After that there is plenty of time to look at anything that went extinct.

Do those games even have a tagline?
and these are just the one's we know about.. There are new animals being discovered all the time..

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Maybe an exibit that shows and talks about past animals. I think that might be the best way to bring in extinct animals.. But bringing them fully into the game may cause a mixed reaction.. We can learn from the past to fix the present and future.. But in all honesty, do you think we should bring back the past? If you do, explain why?
Yes. We’re living in an age of objectively incomplete ecosystems as a result of extinctions. Repairing them could even help with climate change such as mammoths keeping permafrost in check and the dispersal of seeds for plant species.

Yes. We’re living in an age of objectively incomplete ecosystems as a result of extinctions. Repairing them could even help with climate change such as mammoths keeping permafrost in check and the dispersal of seeds for plant species.
So you are proposing to bring back animals that are extinct in order to fix what is now broken? and you stated that conservation in the game is hard.... Bringing back animals that are extinct is complete chaos.. at the same point it may end up shaking the community more then you realize.. The topic is being brought up in the real world as we speak.. and as it is the topic is not generally liked...

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
So you are proposing to bring back animals that are extinct in order to fix what is now broken? and you stated that conservation in the game is hard.... Bringing back animals that are extinct is complete chaos.. at the same point it may end up shaking the community more then you realize.. The topic is being brought up in the real world as we speak.. and as it is the topic is not generally liked...
That is exactly what I’m proposing.
This is also why it’s important to differentiate between animals that went extinct millions of years ago vs 10,000 years ago. I’m in support of the latter grouping.
Sometimes the best answers are the unpopular ones. Just ask Copernicus.

So many of the posts here have this tone of " I don't want x, therefore nobody else should be allowed to have x." I see no legit reason why cryptos or whatever should not be there. Don't like them, don't use them. Let those that do have their dodo-flavored brussels sprouts or whatever. Best as DLC's to enhance FDev income, thereby lengthening game lifespan.

I would rather there be a new game called planet prehistorica tbh (I would even put my hand up to help model them if they would be willing to hire a freelancer (But they dont :( )

That way you could have a fully fledged dinosaur game that isn't tainted by JP fans with more functionality and design (PZ haz all the building functionality I ever wanted in a game) catered towards a prehistoric zoo than a real life zoo (NO PRONATED ARMS!!!! Dinosaurs were clappers, not slappers! THANK YOU!)

The foliage would need to be more prehistoric to meet their needs (lycopodsid, Araucaria , Lepidodendrons, horsetail, Sigillaria etc.)

PZ just doesn't have all the stuff for dinosaurs. But making a whole new game for dinosaurs means you could have a fully fledged dinosaur zoo with everything they need without causing the game to become too large and introducing higher risk of more bugs and longer fix times and muddying the concept and timelines.

My point : NO to dinosaurs in PZ as that is just lazy as you are stitching in dinosaurs without taking into consideration the other aspects that make dinosaurs awesome which is their environment, foliage, toys, behaviours. The dinosaurs would just have the same ai behaviours of PZ animals, which to me is lazy as dinosaurs should have completely different behaviours that are unlike PZ animals. But you won't get that by adding them to PZ as they would require a whole new coding system.

you are asking a development team to make animals they are not passionate about, I love dinosaurs, hell I am an aspiring professional 3d paleoartist, but I want to see dinosaur games done right, and done with the same passion as I have for them. I do not want to see dinosaurs just tacked in an existing game just because I want to see dinosaurs. I want to see them in their own game which is made FOR dinosaurs, not FOR animals and then dinosaurs were an afterthought. I want them to display the same passion when making dinosaurs, which is to go to museums and talk to paleontologists and learn about the dinosaurs before bringing them to life. I want them to talk to people like Robert Bakker, Lawrence Witmer, Scott Hartman, Paul Sereno, Jack Horner and many more to hear what they say, to become passionate about the dinosaurs they will create.

I want to see prehistoric plants with the dinosaurs, prehistoric environments, toys catered to prehistoric life, prehistoric structures. This is a lot to add to a game, and therefore should be its own game.

TDLR: I want to see Dinosaurs in their own game which is made FOR dinosaurs, not FOR animals and then dinosaurs were an afterthought.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of what is or isn't "allowed." People are just saying what they would or would not want to pay money for. They know the developers are listening, so they are really just voting with their opinions...

If Frontier sees that there is enough demand for extinct animal DLC? It might happen. If it does, I'm sure a certain number of people would be excited. Others would be bummed that the developers didn't focus their energies on living animals.

It makes sense that people on both sides would voice their perspectives. Whatever Frontier decides to do WRT Planet Zoo DLC packs is going to "take away" from what others might want.

Both sides are just putting their valid opinions forward and saying "Hey, here's what I would or would not pay money for - and here's why."

EDIT: I should specify that I'm talking about the general tone of the thread. There's definitely outliers on both sides.

Last edited:
TDLR: I want to see Dinosaurs in their own game which is made FOR dinosaurs, not FOR animals and then dinosaurs were an afterthought.

You might want to check Prehistoric Kingdom.. It's in alpha but it's interesting enough to add to your wishlist.
It includes animals from different eras as well.
I have this one on my wishlist as well..

If you're into dinos, JWE is a great option.. I was told by some players, that the dinos don't feel unique/alive/etc.
Atm PK looks a mix of those 2 games.. It's worth keeping an eye out for this game.
It has a very different look than JWE. The extensive construction options aren't present (not in pre-alpha) but think they will be similar to JWE but pathing/terraforming is very similar to PZ. If you watch the footage, you will see the overall differences.

Ofc. not saying he should buy this, but it's an option to watch out for..
If the beta looks bad, I won't be spending any $ on this but it's interesting to see what this game will become eventually.

I think if we do this type of expansion it should be more focused on ways to conservate the animals we currently have and about how these animals actually died out.. use extinct animals as a part of conservation. By no means am I saying bring the animal back.. i am saying start a learning center.. that focuses on extinct animals as a means that focuses on conservation...

Honest question for all the anti-extinct animals people. The argument is often made that you'd rather all the currently alive animals be created first, before extinct animals of any kind are added, if they are added at all. That you definitely wouldn't buy an extinct animal DLC.

That's fair. But I wonder: would any of you actually buy the 5th antelope DLC or the 5th insects and snakes DLC , when we already had 4 of them? Isn't that kind of same-y? Would expansions like that hold players' interest? Would they be enticing for people to buy?

I agree that I'd like to see other expansions first that focus on animals that live now. Like a marine themed expansion, continental themed expansions, biome themed expansions. But I don't need all currently living animals to be in the game. Many of them are very similar and expansions like those will lose my interest sooner rather than later. I'd buy the first antelope DLC, but the second one? The third? Are they necessary? I'd much rather have completely new content. An expansion with extinct animal would be great after the first major expansions are released. (no dinosaurs as far as I'm concerned; I'd like Holocene mammals and other recently extinct species, like Tasmanian tigers (thylacine))

That's fair. But I wonder: would any of you actually buy the 5th antelope DLC or the 5th insects and snakes DLC , when we already had 4 of them? Isn't that kind of same-y? Would expansions like that hold players' interest? Would they be enticing for people to buy?

Totally irrelevant, as we have had no DLC's yet. Ask again after we received the 5th Antilope DLC.....somewhere in the distant future, and maybe there will be an answer.

For now, no DLC's are released, so there is no answer to give.

Last edited:
Totally irrelevant, as we have had no DLC's yet. Ask again after we received the 5th Antilope DLC.....somewhere in the distant future.
It's not irrelevant just because it hasn't happened yet. You are a major advocate for adding all currently living animals first, so this hypothetical situation is very relevant. All these discussions are in anticipation of the future. They are all hypothetical.

It's not irrelevant just because it hasn't happened yet. You are a major advocate for adding all currently living animals first. All these discussions are in anticipation of the future. They are all hypothetical.

But the answer to the question about extinct animals will remain the same (for me) no matter what DLC is released.
The other answer totally depends on the DLC's released, so there is no point in answering that now.

This is creating an argument that would not exist.. There won't be 5 antelope or 5 snakes DLC packs (or any animal).

I agree, with Luuknoord - this is irrelevant. But to answer your question: No, i'm not buying 5 antelopes packs. But i'm also sure that won't happen.
To give my POV: I would buy 5 African themed DLC

Top Bottom