Newcomer / Intro Discovering Elite Dangerous in 2019...

Enjoy these early days and don't rush to the "end game" ships, you'll only cheat yourself out of a lot of fun if you do.
There is no end game ship (I suppose this is why you have it in quotes). You will still find excellent reasons to get in a cheap fighter, a mining vessel, a small smuggling cargo or a nimble exploration vessel even if you own the most baddass warship in the game. And if you do own the most baddass warship in the game, there are mid-sized can openers that can easily open you up, so it's always better be cautiois: it's dangerous out there.

In-game clues on meta alloys are hard to come by indeed. But here's a tip: meta alloys are listed on the commodities market in many systems. If you select them there is a description on the right of the screen. Don't expect a complete answer. Also The Codex might shed some light.

All true, but Krueger is giving you the impression that you are meant to discover this by yourself, which isn't the case.
Much of the fun of this game is the meta-gaming around it: on one side, a lore so tick it has spawned tens of novels, and on the other, a community-shared and contributed knowledge base. Searching the web for where and how to find meta-alloys is not cheating, here; it's part of the meta-gaming. Initially secret Info, in this game, is meant to be discovered through the random actions and persistence of the spear-head players, then published and shared at discretion of the discoverers. It is part of the living community/evolving galaxy experience the devels want for this game.
Also, tools as trade route optimisers, ship build comparisons, trade facility databases, companion web-radio stations, etc: they are all part of the game, and learning to use them for your own benefit is part of the intended gaming experience.

Hi there,

Back from hollydays, I almost immediately logged back into ED :)

I’ve been to Mitterand Hollows.
It’s quite a place to see… if you manage to actually catch the moon to land on it !
Extreme low gravity moon orbiting very close and very fast around his water world = Once landed, you get to see one (huge) planet rise + one eclipse + one planetset … each minute !!!

Spectacular !

I wonder if it’s glitchy or intended. But anyway, it's only a few jumps from Sol so it’s definitely worth to get there and see it.

I’m currently back to Sol, orbiting Mercury.
I want to explore the whole Sol system, but I'm still having trouble with the beacons here, I can hardly scan them.
(Specificaly the « Famous presidents » beacon yesterday didn't react to me being 10 meters from it) But I think I had a bug yesterday so I’ll try again tonight…

God I love just to fly around betwen stars in my DBX !

Last edited:
Hi there,

Back from hollydays, I almost immediately logged back into ED :)

I’ve been to Mitterand Hollows.
It’s quite a place to see… if you manage to actually catch the moon to land on it !
Extreme low gravity moon orbiting very close and very fast around his water world = Once landed, you get to see one (huge) planet rise + one eclipse + one planetset … each minute !!!
Spectacular !

I wonder if it’s glitchy or intended. But anyway, it's only a few jumps from Sol so it’s definitely worth to get there and see it.

I’m currently back to Sol, orbiting Mercury.
I want to explore the whole Sol system, but I'm still having trouble with the beacons here, I can hardly scan them.
(Specificaly the « Famous presidents » beacon yesterday didn't react to me being 10 meters from it) But I think I had a bug yesterday so I’ll try again tonight…

God I love just to fly around betwen stars in my DBX !
The trick with Mitterrand Hollow is to let it catch you, the other trick is not crashing after it does.

I think MH was a strange place in the earlier incarnations of the game, but a lot of its current behaviour is a glitch that was preserved.

o7

Hello there !

My adventures continues as I get a taste at asteroid mining.
I temporary parked my BDX and get back to my "old" Cobra mkIII. Fit it for laser mining and give it a try.
It's quite fun to try and understand and manage to do it, in a way wich get some cash.

I've only 4 mining sessions under my belt, get myself a few millions (!) already, and still a lot to learn.
On my second try, at the end, I run out ot limplets, my cargo was full of Painite but I still had room for more, so I try to make some new limplets using materials.
In the process, I accidentaly hit the "silent run" command, without noticing.

After a while, I noticed my temperature was increasing. but I didn't understand what was going on.
I first believed I was under attack but I had seen no one and no impact. I believed some asteroid could be radioactive or something ???? So I fly away...
But no. the temperature was still going up (200+) and the ship was taking serious damage so I was a bit in a panic...

I was desesperate and didn't understand what was going on. :( :(

Then I notice the "SIlent running" info.
OK, how do I turn this off ? I did bind it somewhere but never used it so I didn't know whitch key to hit.
Even without the key, I think there is some options but in the panic I didn't think of the right panel commands or even to "reboot" the ship.
Best idea I could produce was to rush into the options to set a new key for the silent running.
Search for the binding in the looooong list (where is iiiiiiiit ???) , set a key, save bindings, HIT THE KEY.

My ship was over 300° when I turn silent running off. My Hull somewhere around 15%.
I then spend the next few seconds (felt like eternity) , observe the temperature slowly strart to decrease, and the hull slowly continue to decrease to finally reach zero...

BOOM !

Cargo lost of course (1 hour session). But hey, what a story to tell my kids ! :)
Aaaaand I'll never make the same mistake again ! :)
Lessons learnt : never panic, think clear, know your bindings, maybe bring heat sinker...

Elite Dangerous I still love you !
See you in space commanders !
o7

Welcome Commander.

Step 3.
Further later, I discover there is a Z axis. And it’s jut vast.
SPEECHLESSNESS INTENSIFIES by a z factor.
And just like that, space gets multiplied by a third dimension. Everything is even more huger than huge.

The one thing I've noticed with Elite is that because you are able to travel at huge speeds, your perception of the vastness of space is somehow lessened.
Without FTL it would be unplayable. so take a look at this;
https://aeon.co/videos/the-plodding...d-of-light-looks-sluggish-on-a-galactic-scale
perhaps it will add a bit more scale to your perception. ;-)

Yep, the silent running has caught just about everyone out at some time. I have disabled it as I never use it. Like you said you live and learn, by the way make sure you bind the Boost to a button you can't hit accidentally, or you could end up splattered on the back wall of a station :-0

by the way make sure you bind the Boost to a button you can't hit accidentally, or you could end up splattered on the back wall of a station :-0

HAha ! Actually I've already performed the accidental boost inside a station !! :)

I started the game using a X-box controler and while the default setting is quite potent, there is a kind of joke : B+down is for the Landing gear, and B alone for the Boost.
'nuff said. :)

As a variant, I also performed the accidental "boost into an asteroid", because Cargo Scoop in on B+up.
(Taste even better if you perform it while carriyng a full cargo of course !)

Finally I did get a HOTAS and Boost is on his own separate key now ! :)

Last edited:
Hi there !

Yesterday I went to a Pleiades system, I wanted to see some Barnacle site again.
Landed on the moon, a bit too far away from the site, jump into SRV and start driving to the actual site.
20 min later, when I arrived to the site, I did call the ship so it would land nearby.
I got a notification : warning, ship destroyed.
I don't know what happen, and now I'm all alone in my SRV in this strange moon, close to a destroyed barnacle site, with no ship... :(

I log off and check the captain log in EDDiscovery : actually the hull was taking continuous and veeeery small damage during all the time I was in the SRV (more than 20 minutes). I don't have any idea what caused this...

I got no message telling me the ship was under attack, neither in game nor in the log.
Only info I see is : hull 79%. Hull 59%, Hull 15%... Ship destroyed. Only in EDD, not in game.

Do you guys think it's a bug ? What destroyed my ship ?

Hi there !

Yesterday I went to a Pleiades system, I wanted to see some Barnacle site again.
Landed on the moon, a bit too far away from the site, jump into SRV and start driving to the actual site.
20 min later, when I arrived to the site, I did call the ship so it would land nearby.
I got a notification : warning, ship destroyed.
I don't know what happen, and now I'm all alone in my SRV in this strange moon, close to a destroyed barnacle site, with no ship... :(

I log off and check the captain log in EDDiscovery : actually the hull was taking continuous and veeeery small damage during all the time I was in the SRV (more than 20 minutes). I don't have any idea what caused this...

I got no message telling me the ship was under attack, neither in game nor in the log.
Only info I see is : hull 79%. Hull 59%, Hull 15%... Ship destroyed. Only in EDD, not in game.

Do you guys think it's a bug ? What destroyed my ship ?
Did this get resolved? What happened when you logged back in and tried to recall your ship - was it destroyed?

Did this get resolved? What happened when you logged back in and tried to recall your ship - was it destroyed?

Well, Actually, when I logged back, I was still in the SRV and the ship was still destroyed.
I drove a bit and had fun and then I used the autodestruct command (I didn't see another solution) and get to the rebuy screen.

Fair enough. Were you in rocky or mountainous terrain when all this happened, or on a high-g or extremely hot planet, or WANTED? There are circumstances where the auto-pilot can have problems getting your recalled ship back on the ground and it can end up beinbg destroyed. Ultimately there's not much you can do in these situations other than self-destruct the SRV unless you're prepared to do something fairly extreme such as drive half way round the planet to the nearest planetary base to get a new ship ..

.. or else roleplay the heck out of the situation ..

.. or ..

No, no, actualy the log shows that the ship was slowly taking damages for more than 20 minutes, and finish being destroyed while still landed on the moon, while I was away, in the SRV.
At least that's the way I understand it.

Anyway, I didn't lose anything except a few explo data and the rebuy cost of course, But hey, it takes much more than this to drive me mad ! :)

I don't think it is possible to switch to silent running once you are in the SRV.

One possibility that occurs to me would be parking too close to a volcano.

My SRV was getting close to taking heat damage by the time I had taken this shot.

Test it - you cant activate SR in ship while in SRV but you can probably activate SR while in ship then launch SRV, don't see why not but test it.

Landed near a geo site lava today, no vibrations when landed. Wait 2 minutes and vibrations started indicating something had happened. Didn't wait to see if heat went up, just moved ship well away. Don't think lava starts and stops as such although it may do so must be some sort of damage detector or maybe just heat rising takes longer when further away which would be accurate if thats how the mechanics work.

There where no volcano involved in my accidental blowing... Anyway...

I'm currently heading to Colonia, halfway atm. I've never been so far, and almost going to another sector for the first time.
So far I discovered some NSP (Spiky things of two kind) and a few nice bodies, including 3 ELW in one single session !!! So happy !!!. I'll share pics after I claim them in a station for 1rst discovery tag.

Top Bottom