Discovery Scanner - 11/07/2022

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders.

Back with another Monday edition of Discovery Scanner. Hope you're doing well!

You can find the post here: https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/discovery-scanner-11072022

Have a super week ahead and if you're here in England right now - stay safe with the real world fuel scooping! That star is MAXIMUM HOT right now!

As usual, if any further news comes in for you as we pass through the days ahead, we'll be here to let you know.

For now though, take care out there.

See you in the black o7

Can we have an update as to the situation regarding the framerate drops 1000s of cmdrs, even with high end gpus, are experiencing at orbitals and planetary ports etc ? Its a huge 50+% reduction so it needs sorting.

Still aware and very much with the team as mentioned in the other threads, Steven. Thanks!
Hi Sally, very pleased to see you back in action!

I don't know if it's flown under the team's radar, but the twitch stream schedule still shows weekly and not biweekly planned streams. Maybe something someone would like to change in order to reduce confusion for commanders.

sallymorganmoore

Can we have an update as to the situation regarding the framerate drops 1000s of cmdrs, even with high end gpus, are experiencing at orbitals and planetary ports etc ? Its a huge 50+% reduction so it needs sorting.
Hey. All I can really echo from our previous responses on performance progress requests is that investigations will still continue on reports. I'm afraid I don't have anything further on this at present but it hasn't been forgotten by the team. Hopefully we will have further clarity as we move toward Update 13. Thanks!

sallymorganmoore

Hi Sally, very pleased to see you back in action!

I don't know if it's flown under the team's radar, but the twitch stream schedule still shows weekly and not biweekly planned streams. Maybe something someone would like to change in order to reduce confusion for commanders.
Hello! Ah thanks, I've nudged that on.
Hope you're doing well, Jack!

I see a slight FPS drop - from 120 to around 109 - not 50%...
But then, I suppose it depends on the kit being played on.

I'm in Vr playing at 4k per lense 94% steam slider with a 3090fe and it's as l say, for me.
May be different levels of drop but the fact that it's a substantial drop for some or indeed most is palpable.
It's frustrating!
I go from 60 down to 30 to 45 fps and lower in some places.
If l lower my res so I'm getting 90 fps it's the same...drops by same margin.

Well it's well known the lack of optimisation thus far but moreover previously. As far as I'm concerned there's little or no difference between now and when odyssey dropped.
And yes I'll stick my neck out and say I'm not alone. There's 1000s of other cmdrs in the same boat even with high end gpus.

I'll add further. Scum plays perfectly as does other games I have installed.
Grant you yes I'm asking alot in VR ingame. But a 3090fe should easily cope should it not?

I doubt it's anything to do with the gpu.
Trust me its fine in all other games I play. Both online and single player.
Although I appreciate your obvious white Knighting your belittling something which to us, is a very serious matter.
One which l think needs answering. Leastways in their own time.

I spend alot of time white knighting myself defending this game. That's why I said l appreciate it.
Not meant as an insult. More a compliment

Have a super week ahead and if you're here in England right now - stay safe with the real world fuel scooping! That star is MAXIMUM HOT right now!
50 odd years ago when i was a nipper all we got was snow and rain (and coal dust), never thought i would ever see a statement like that :ROFLMAO:

O7

Hey. All I can really echo from our previous responses on performance progress requests is that investigations will still continue on reports. I'm afraid I don't have anything further on this at present but it hasn't been forgotten by the team. Hopefully we will have further clarity as we move toward Update 13. Thanks!
can you ask the team to look into the terrain shader if possible , there is something inside of it that is still causing lag , looking at my feet should result in an fps boost but the fps actually drops real bad my guess is to many instructions in the fragment shader , ask them to try maybe checking for unnecessary stuff , cause I noticed the terrain compute shader hasnt been changed since I bought the game.

Also if possible can they look into 2 things to do with settlements

1: the AI maybe moving the AI resources onto another thread if it isn't already as when at a high Conflict zone that's active fps drops to 20 when the battle is won its back to 25 to 30 fps again , same thing with clearing a base once all the AI is dead the FPS sky rockets back up , I think if the AI had its own thread instead of being on the render thread it would help , but again im unsure how you all have it setup

2: the draw calls are to high putting a lot of demand on the CPU , the amount of pieces that a settlement is built from is way to high , maybe they can use static batching if possible or if they cant get that right atleast dynamic batching

Also look into the occlusion culling on stations and carriers because I can tell you now it isnt working properly still , sometimes when the LODs get messed up I can see through the walls of the station / carrier and I can see the whole carrier / station through the walls , this shouldnt be possible if occlusion culling is working , I should see nothing through the walls , just empty space , anyway thanks.

o7!

Good... Thousands of you are there? 50% drop? Makes me very pleased that I shunned Nvidia's current (and will future) top-end offerings as these 3090's seem to perfrom very badly when it comes to EDO. Wasn't there a few posts of single digit FPS rates from 3090 owners a while back?
While we are at it: I have a pretty decent gaming PC (Ryzen 3950x, RTX 3070, 64 gigs RAM, M.2 SSDs undsoweiter. I like having a PC that is quiet, so I haven't done any OC up until now. However, when I recently tried, it became "obvious" that the bottleneck, at least in my system, is something related to single core performance. Once I OC the heck out of a single core on my CPU, much of the stuttering I have experienced vanished. That comes at a price of a more noisy PC, but mostly it indicates that the game is still not very welly optimized.

Yesterday I played Assetto Corsa on the same PC. Everything dialed to the max, 4K in the VR HMD, and the PC didn't even break a sweat, while the game ran a solid 90 fps capped.

I dunno how many VR players ED has left, but I don't think VR in general is dead. Far from, and it's a major feature of ED marketing. Again anecdotal I agree, but I personally bought ED because VR, and pancake still doesn't rock my boat in any way.

Top Bottom