Discovery Scanner 2 - Bringing a Thargon Swarm to Life with Mark Allen

Hey everyone,

Join us here tonight: https://www.youtube.com/elitedangerous/live

'For episode 2 of Discovery Scanner, we're joined by Lead Programmer Mark Allen, who will talk us through how he brought the Thargoid swarms to life and created their fascinating behaviour patterns.

Discovery Scanner is a new Elite Dangerous livestream series where we take deep dives in to the creation of some of Elite Dangerous's most exciting features and aspects.'

Enjoy! See you at 7PM GMT

While I have enjoyed these looks at the inner details of producing the game it almost feels like your using it as a excuse for slow/lack of content; a kind of 'look games development is really hard this is why you only got 2.3 & 2.4 this year, you should appreciate us more'

While I have enjoyed these looks at the inner details of producing the game it almost feels like your using it as a excuse for slow/lack of content; a kind of 'look games development is really hard this is why you only got 2.3 & 2.4 this year, you should appreciate us more'

Devs explaining exciting content which many players clearly enjoy, you complain about lack of content. Yeah, it is strong logic right there :)

Now, it might be content you don't enjoy, but devs can only do so much. Also it plays good role of putting dev's work out there and explain why development takes so long, how much you can expect, and so on and so forth. It gives you better understanding what you can expect.

Last edited:

Whatever is the intention, I really think we _should_ appreciate it more. Because it _is_ really hard at times. And most players really don't have a clue how much dependencies and details and actual work is behind little things if you want to get them right.
Those live streams are just a little glimpse behind the facade and only showing off those things which are impressive to see after the work is done. I am pretty sure there are much more things under the hood which take even more work, just that nobody would make a live stream about that because it would bore most people to death.

Also thanks for the streams. I like. I appreciate. :D

Devs explaining exciting content which many players clearly enjoy, you complain about lack of content. Yeah, it is strong logic right there :)

Now, it might be content you don't enjoy, but devs can only do so much.

Never said I didn't enjoy the content; just that I thought the 2 updates we got ( the commanders & the return ) to be rather minimal for a full years work.

Not that I watch them but this does sound a lot more exciting than watching Ed either getting stream sniped or playing CQC, and that they have listened to people saying the live stream format was becoming stale, and changed it a bit. Good show id say... Pardon the pun.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think you should always announce the stream for the next week to get more people watching it. Sure, sometimes plans change, but the people who would get angry about it don't watch the streams anyway.

I really like these glimpses behind the scenes at how you guys build this awesome game.

Thanks for putting these together I know they must take a lot of work and time, it is appreciated. See you at 7.

I enjoy this new Discovery Scanner series... well... only one EP so far, but it was great. I'll show up and watch this one live.

Cheers!

Woo hoo! Really looking forward to this (although I've been away[B]*1[/B] so first I need to catch up on Sandro's C&P Q&A thread plus a Lave Radio and a couple of Obsidian Ant's that I've missed (because I HAVE to watch everything in chronological order otherwise the world will come to an end).

[B]*1[/B] look what I made!
yFqbqhI.jpg

Top Bottom