Discovery Scanner 2 - Bringing a Thargon Swarm to Life with Mark Allen

That was a very interesting stream. What Mark has done / is doing is awesome. I'm so glad he is part of the Frontier Development Team.

Thanks Ed and Mark!

another awsome stream yesterday!
thanks a lot for doing those!

any chance we get a thargon swarm simulator to play around with at some point in the future? ;-)

Thanks guys! These new livestreams are awesome and a great way for the community to understand and indeed appreciate the development of the game. I think all the forum naysayers should be made to sit down and watch these before complaining :p

Great to see programmers like Mark (and indeed Ant, Sandro and everyone else) come on and explain their work so passionately, and in terms that doesn't talk down to the audience (I know it's still simplified a bit to make it digestable for non-programmers). Huge thanks!

And Ed is great as well, a good host who always has a laugh with the team and behind all the entertaining facial expressions he makes, he's clearly keeping a good hand on the stream itself and making sure it's high quality.

Just ... Good job all round, Frontier :)

Thanks guys! These new livestreams are awesome and a great way for the community to understand and indeed appreciate the development of the game. I think all the forum naysayers should be made to sit down and watch these before complaining :p

Great to see programmers like Mark (and indeed Ant, Sandro and everyone else) come on and explain their work so passionately, and in terms that doesn't talk down to the audience (I know it's still simplified a bit to make it digestable for non-programmers). Huge thanks!

And Ed is great as well, a good host who always has a laugh with the team and behind all the entertaining facial expressions he makes, he's clearly keeping a good hand on the stream itself and making sure it's high quality.

Just ... Good job all round, Frontier :)

Agree on all points. It shows how much is going on under the hood to give us the game we enjoy. I don't think the naysayers will ever watch one of the streams though.

I'm going to agree with everyone else. I love the use of snippets of code and the debug mode. I want a Thargon screensaver too.

Also thing of note that I picked up: Mark built a demo pretty much in the evenings/weekends on his spare time to put the proposal to the team then some collaborative work to create the full proposal to put to David. Top Marks (pun intended) for going above and Beyond (pun also intended).
Ok, I'll get my coat.

Having a background in programming I like the way they are explaining the core mechanics of the game itself. Perhaps they are working on something in the background and using this time to document all the work that went into the game. Maybe for a book or for universities to use or perhaps a Netflix documentary . When I work on applications I always stop at stages of development and write up documentation about the coding behind it. Some people find that sort of thing quite interesting to read. Sometimes stepping back and doing all this sort of thing opens up new ideas that wouldn't have been thought of before.

I'm just guessing though.. probably wrong.

Another enjoyable livestream.

Thanks to Ed for hosting and Mark for all the deep, technical detail.

Would love to see some other shows covering AI and some of the design behind the Cobra engine... hint, hint. :)

Thought it was interesting to see Packhounds being used to fire at them. I always thought Packhounds had an organic and eccentric flight pattern, but the Thargon Swarm dials it up to 11,000.

Enjoyed this, and the previous one, this is a really good series :)

It's cool to see the level of thought and attention being put into these often small details.

"Discovery Scanner" is a briliant series of live streams.
This was again a very interesting insight into all the work that went into the game.
I am really looking forward to "Discovery Scanner 3"!

Thanks again!

Hope you're taking the sincere positive feedback you're getting to heart. It is well deserved and I would imagine this type of communication in other areas would yield similar results.

Fascinating content, and look forward to the next installment. Perhaps something on NPC movements/actions?

Hey everyone,

Join us here tonight: https://www.youtube.com/elitedangerous/live

'For episode 2 of Discovery Scanner, we're joined by Lead Programmer Mark Allen, who will talk us through how he brought the Thargoid swarms to life and created their fascinating behaviour patterns.

Discovery Scanner is a new Elite Dangerous livestream series where we take deep dives in to the creation of some of Elite Dangerous's most exciting features and aspects.'

Enjoy! See you at 7PM GMT

Great stream, but as a pro cam op would you please run the mics up inside your t-shirts? That ugly cable dangling down the front just looks so bad!

Wow, that was a great Discovery Scanner episode!

I really enjoyed how Mark could explain the most basic aspects of how his object swarm works, and his solution to this has some very very nice aspects like the swirling and dampening, making it look really great! [up]

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, more of the behind-the-scenes livestreams please. Can I also put my name down for a Thargon screensaver please?

Top Bottom