Discovery Scanner - 27.02.2023

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders and a happy Monday to you.

Arriving for many of you today for a 'lunchtime' edition (depending on your location) of Discovery Scanner for you today! So sorry if you're used to the more breakfast/brunch delivery, it's been a busy start to the day o7

It's quite light and fun today!
In terms of game news - it's a little reassurance on Update 15 as well as the 'Console Copy Portal' progress, as echoed in last week's Frameshift Live, along with a spot of clarity on getting 'Unstuck' in Elite Dangerous 'Live'.
There's also a little nod to an extra special birthday, PLUS some fast paced twists and turns from Commanders that speed!

Full article now live at: www.elitedangerous.com/news/discovery-scanner-27022023

With that, Commanders, here's wishing you a fun, productive, comfortable - whatever positive thing should come your way - kind of week!

We'll be in touch with any updates to information as we pass through.

o7

Last edited:
Update 16?

1677507686649.png

1677507720272.png

Has my cryopod malfunctioned and I've woken up mid year? If so, is Update 15 any good / and Powerplay?

Last edited:
Any idea why the Disco Scanner page wants me to enable marketing cookies? I mean, I don't want my PC full of rubbish tracking nonsense so why does Frontier need this to show some content?

Embedded YouTube videos?
Almost certainly this - it's the same on the forum. Change came in a while back (I assume to do with changes in Youtube policy) whereby, in order to be able to see Youtube videos embedded in the page, the viewer had to agree to marketing cookies. If you only ever see the little "source:" link here on the forum (but not the embedded video itself) then that's why. I don't think there's anything especially ominous about it tho?

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Yes I have not enabled marketing cookies on the website so instead of the embeds I see:

View attachment 346959

It is no biggie, I just don't like non-essential cookies and also use a script blocker etc too.
Ahhhh yes! Totally understand. I'd like to know more about it myself actually - why YouTube embeds are blocked if you don't accept cookies - for even my own interest actually! It's a big ol' tunnel to wiggle through (but essential, of course).

Ahhhh yes! Totally understand. I'd like to know more about it myself actually - why YouTube embeds are blocked if you don't accept cookies - for even my own interest actually! It's a big ol' tunnel to wiggle through (but essential, of course).
It's exactly as it should be. If we want to see an embedded video from YouTube we need to communicate with the YouTube servers. If your website establishes a communication between my device and a 3rd party (in this case YouTube) you should ask me for permission.

Why Google need a marketing cookie just to embed a video? My money is a marketing answer...
1677520601948.png

and
1677520620830.png

So in theory... Frontier could also have a similar test cookie and the script could either embed if cookie "test" can be written/read and just put a plain old http link if not. But then lots of people like me would cynically wonder why FDev started having marketing cookies...

Damned if you do.. Damned if you don't.

If you only ever see the little "source:" link here on the forum (but not the embedded video itself) then that's why. I don't think there's anything especially ominous about it tho?
I think the real issue with YT videos is/was here on the forum, when you'd often see forum posts with YT links which were 100% invisible if you didn't have the cookie enabled. Only if someone did something slightly different with their post (non-standard?) did you actually see the extra link, which would have been fine it was always present.
I think I succumbed and allowed the cookie so I have no idea if this bug was ever fixed.

Meanwhile: getting unstuck - LOL, I just came across that option in the menu last night and wondered when it was added :D Nice job!

Top Bottom