News Discovery Scanner 3 - Audible Asteroids w/Ross Stack

It was a good stream. :)

I think this stream came out of the recent call for feedback in the newsletter where you could fill out a survey.

There was a question on there with something like - what sort of content do you want to see in the newsletter.

I added requests for dev orientated info and am pretty sure many people will have added the same. :)

Last edited:
This was a fantastic stream, very interesting stream to see what is involved, please can we have more of this type of content.

Great stream guys, very interesting to see the amazing sound team at work.

Perhaps next time we could get someone from the ship design team. Something like a Mamba make-of would be cool, from concept to final ship.

o7

Amazing the amount of passion and dedication going into every little detail of the game. Hats off to the sound team and thanks for sharing [up]

Definitely want to see more of the magic behind the curtain.

Greetings Commanders,

This week we're finally back with the third of the Discovery Scanner series, this time focusing on the creation of the 'cracking' audio design and implementation of the mother-lode asteroids.
Join Ross Stack as he takes you on a behind-the-scenes look at how some of the incredible sounds in Elite Dangerous come to life.

Hopefully see you there!

Livestream details

Topic - Discovery Scanner - Audible Asteroids: Prospecting the Sonic Signatures of Asteroids with Senior audio designer, Ross Stack
Date – 29 November 2018
Time – 19:00 (UTC)
Where – Click here!

See you there!

Ed

I was a bit disappointed you didn't get back to my pm on the forum, suggesting a behind the scenes technical achievements series a year or more ago. Kind of feels like you used the idea without even acknowledging it privately with me Ed.

Very nice stream (as any from the Discovery scanner series) and a great insight to the game audio elements. I hope there will be more streams like that soon... :)

Man, that fire alarm is disturbing as frack!!!

Good stream. I really wish Frontier would do a lot more of these Discovery Scanner streams, they are always my favorite and so very interesting.

Yep. That was great and Ross is a natural. Many thanks for doing.

I'd like to see a break down of the design ethos behind buildings and structures, ED architecture, if you will.
Great stuff and I enjoyed the barbecue. (Someone tweeted a pic with Dav in the background, check his prints!)

:D o7

Just catching up on the audio stream, brilliant stuff Ross! Thank you so much for going through this stuff, I really love these peeks behind the curtain, just seeing the thought, expertise and detail that goes into stuff like this makes me appreciate the game more than ever.

Another thought for the next one - I'd love to hear from the guys responsible for the physical behaviour of the SRV? How do you go about modelling all the aspects of gravity, traction, speed, grip, momentum and the mechanical configuration of the SRV's wheels and infrastructure, and turn that into a vehicle we can realistically drive across the surface of a planet?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I was a bit disappointed you didn't get back to my pm on the forum, suggesting a behind the scenes technical achievements series a year or more ago. Kind of feels like you used the idea without even acknowledging it privately with me Ed.

Hehe, I can't work out if you're actually being serious or not. There have been loads of people repeatedly asking for more indepth/behind the scenes things since they stopped doing the Dev updates, however many years ago that was now.

Although, as the first Discovery Scanner stream (which was just a name given to the similar type of stream which had happened before) was over a year ago... maybe they did... :eek:

I wasnt able to catch it live, but i watched the whole 2 part stream :p yesterday. A lot of cool insight information into the complex process, you people go through to deliver the most awesome of all space sim games. :) - I would love to see a Discovery Scanner episode on ship design for sure!

Fly dangerous CMDRs!

o7

sound and effects teams really amazing.

And Ross is clearly a passionate guy who looks like a superman when he explaining all the stuff around and behind the scene =)

A enjoyable stream for sure =)

Finally finished listening to the stream ... really really WONDERFUL!

Keep the Discovery Scanner episodes coming and keep them at this level of detail. Just perfect!

I agree with all the positive posts, really great series and the enthusiasm shown by all the dev's presenting is just so infectious. Only thing I would ask could all the Discovery Scanner episodes be placed in a sub folder?

Top Bottom