Livestream Discovery Scanner 5 - Crafting the Krait MkII with Jordan Clarry and Pawel Ptaszynski

Great stream, I had hoped for a sneak peak of the interior of the ship beyond the cockpit, but that was a long shot anyway.

Very interesting and enjoyable

Would there be any consideration to doing a livestream talking about the design philosophies and considerations of the five star ships manufacturers?

I was curious early in the stream when they were showing the essential modules (landing gear, thrusters, SLF bay, etc) why the planetary vehicle hangar wasn't included? Simply an oversight re: the livestream presentation perhaps?

Cargo hatch and bay attached to it, even prior to Horizons, is PVH isn't it?

3D artists Jordan Clarry and Pawel Ptaszynski will be showing the process of bringing ships from concept to construction. In this episode, we'll explore how the Krait MkII was turned from a drawing into a ship that we now fly across the galaxy of Elite Dangerous.

Really good stream. But I was a little disappointed you did not explain this...

5AbjQl4.png

Missed the stream. Did we get an answer re: artificial gravity and the cup on the coffee maker?

Rheopectic coffee surely?

The opposite of Ketchup, which is a thixotropic liquid that loses viscosity - becomes runny - under a shearing force (Tomato ketchup shake the bottle. None'll come out, then the lot'll). A rheopectic additive that makes the coffee more viscous under shearing and a vibrating cup, surface tension ought to keep it in?

Just don't add sugar, because - as I'm sure everybody knows - 'kaboom'.

Either that or use one of these? :p

8oz-Coffee-Cup-Lid-Flat-Style-500x375.jpg

Watched last night and thoroughly enjoyed the stream. Properly interesting, and did feel like it could have been longer given how much work goes into each ship.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
@Will Flanagan I seem to recall other Discovery Scanner episodes having some follow-up Q&A on the forum. Any chance of that with this one? (I guess I understand if the guys are busy tho).
Hi Alec,

I haven't been able to check in with Jordan and Pawel regarding your questions at the moment. We've now let them know, so we'll try our best to answer those questions as soon as we can!

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
We have answers for you @Alec Turner!

I was curious early in the stream when they were showing the essential modules (landing gear, thrusters, SLF bay, etc) why the planetary vehicle hangar wasn't included? Simply an oversight re: the livestream presentation perhaps?

From an art side, the cargo hatch is a similar asset that is used for the planetary vehicle hangar, as long as we’ve made room for the cargo hatch, the SRV bay is also included.

They mentioned about the level of detail/polygon count getting less towards the back of the ship. Won't this be a problem if/when we're ever able to start walking around our ships (where the polygon count will surely need to be the same everywhere)?

We simply focus on adding polygons in areas which get most screen time, which is common practice for any video game asset.

Re: the overall size of a ship like the Krait, once you come up with the general shape you want is there a point at which you adjust the size until there's room for all the fixed size modules like the fighter bay or is that factored in much earlier during the design phase?

When designing a ship, we factor in the essential modules right from the start. For example, we knew from the onset that we wanted the Krait MkII to have a fighter bay. As we discussed in the livestream, it was quite a challenge to ensure that the ship still looked slim while fitting a tall structure (the fighter bay) within it.

When the ship was being conceptualised, the artists use volumes of visual blocks for each of the necessary components and then built around them. We generally know which modules a new ship will use before the concept artist begins their design.

Have they ever hit unexpected visuals in late testing which have required a redesign?

Any large design or visual flaws are generally resolved within the concept stage of a ship's design. Smaller issues may persist in a later stage but these are mostly surface level and are resolved in a moment’s notice. We get a lot of information back once the ship is sent off to our QA team, where we then have a decent amount of time to address any issues they discover.

From an in-universe lore perspective the complete redesign of the engine block in the Phantom seems like a pretty radical thing for a ship manufacturer to do. How much agonising over this kind of thing is done during the design phase? Does David have to approve it for example?

There are many factors that went into the design of the Krait Phantom’s engines. From an in-universe, lore perspective, Faulcon DeLacy wanted to market a new, cooler Krait; they’re trying to sell a product, after all. The engines themselves are actually built from the same components as the Krait MkII’s engines, going from a 2x3 thruster stack on either side of the ship to 9 thrusters on a straight and flat configuration at the back. The thrusters are the same model but the idea is that, like with everything else with the Phantom, thrusters where removed to save weight and make the ship look less bulky and heavy. The flat configuration helped slim the ship down, this, along with the fighter hangar being removed, resulted in a ship that looked visually different from its bigger brother.

David always has a keen interest in what we develop and his feedback is part and parcel in introducing anything to the game.

Nice-su!
Thanks for the details Will, I wasn't here when the live happened and I wanted to cover it with an article.
I'll add these Q/A! :)

We have answers for you @Alec Turner!

From an art side, the cargo hatch is a similar asset that is used for the planetary vehicle hangar, as long as we’ve made room for the cargo hatch, the SRV bay is also included.

We simply focus on adding polygons in areas which get most screen time, which is common practice for any video game asset.

When designing a ship, we factor in the essential modules right from the start. For example, we knew from the onset that we wanted the Krait MkII to have a fighter bay. As we discussed in the livestream, it was quite a challenge to ensure that the ship still looked slim while fitting a tall structure (the fighter bay) within it.

When the ship was being conceptualised, the artists use volumes of visual blocks for each of the necessary components and then built around them. We generally know which modules a new ship will use before the concept artist begins their design.

Any large design or visual flaws are generally resolved within the concept stage of a ship's design. Smaller issues may persist in a later stage but these are mostly surface level and are resolved in a moment’s notice. We get a lot of information back once the ship is sent off to our QA team, where we then have a decent amount of time to address any issues they discover.

There are many factors that went into the design of the Krait Phantom’s engines. From an in-universe, lore perspective, Faulcon DeLacy wanted to market a new, cooler Krait; they’re trying to sell a product, after all. The engines themselves are actually built from the same components as the Krait MkII’s engines, going from a 2x3 thruster stack on either side of the ship to 9 thrusters on a straight and flat configuration at the back. The thrusters are the same model but the idea is that, like with everything else with the Phantom, thrusters where removed to save weight and make the ship look less bulky and heavy. The flat configuration helped slim the ship down, this, along with the fighter hangar being removed, resulted in a ship that looked visually different from its bigger brother.

David always has a keen interest in what we develop and his feedback is part and parcel in introducing anything to the game.
Awesome, thanks Will (and thank the guys for taking their time to answer these). I only wish I'd asked better questions now (and/or paid more attention). 😬

Top Bottom