Discovery Scanner [Weekly Update] - 09/05/2022

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

A new week begins in the world of Elite Dangerous, so grab a seat, and let's talk about everything happening right now within the game.

Console Account Transfers
As announced in our post last week, we're very happy to be able to tell you that console account transfers are making progress behind the scenes, with the dev team hard at work to make sure as much as possible is transferred over should you wish to copy your Commander from console to PC. Secondly, if you've purchased Elite Dangerous on consoles, we'll be giving you a free copy of Elite Dangerous on PC. This will all be done in a limited-time window and the exact details are still being confirmed, but we'll be giving you plenty of heads up so you can prepare if needed.

The team are also gathering the most frequently asked questions about console account transfers so that we can provide you with the answers all at once.

The Rest of 2022
Another thing we spoke about last week was the remainder of the year and what that looks like in terms of structure for Elite Dangerous updates. Our first upcoming update, Update 12, is due this month. The main focus of Update 12 is on optimisation and fixes as we continue to improve Odyssey based on your feedback and Issue Tracker reports. There'll also be a new mission variant added, which we'll share more on in the coming weeks!

Moving forward, Updates 13 & 14 are currently aiming for August and November respectively. As well as continued performance improvements, these updates will be focusing on exciting new narrative threads for you to engage with. I know that you're all itching to hear more about what this specifically means, but rest assured that this is more than solely the continuation of GalNet. The closer we get to those updates, the more we can reveal, but it's too early right now. I would very much recommend that you keep up to date with the current happenings in the Elite Dangerous universe, as the Azimuth Saga continues to evolve.

I can't say much about 2023 right now, in fact, I can't say anything other than what you already know! The team are currently looking at a key feature overhaul for 2023, and although I cannot give you any hints as to what this is, I hope it will help allay some concerns that there is no more content coming to Elite Dangerous. There's a lot still to come, and the new major narrative phase will have a part to play in the future, too.

Frameshift Live
As you will have heard if you tuned into last week's show, Frameshift Live will now air once every two weeks on Thursday's at 4PM BST. We're looking to revamp the show based on your feedback, specifically, your ask for more insight from the development team. What this means is that there are around 16 shows left in the year, and for each of those shows, we're looking to give you something you can't get somewhere else, and I don't just mean Twitch Drops! We're currently finalising our plan for the rest of the year's shows, and once that's concrete, we'll begin sharing with you our upcoming schedules, so you know what to expect before you jump into a stream. These subjects will likely range from ship design, ideas behind core gameplay elements, concepts and more. With this in mind, is there anything in the game currently that you'd like to know more about from a development point of view?

This doesn't mean the community elements of the show will stop, though! The Elite Dangerous community continues to be one of the best things about the game, and we're keen to highlight the fantastic things you do both in and out of the in-game galaxy.

Community Event Calendar Spotlight: On The Rocks (Magic 8 Ball)
We have another Buckyball race this week! This time, it's the On The Rocks race. This one involves delivering Buckyball Beer Mats to five asteroid bases in and around the bubble in the fastest time possible. Check out more information right here.

1652091706406.png

Commander Creations

First up this week, CMDR Rheeney has framed this majestic storyboard work from CMDR Dasjav, showcasing the 'Little SRV' that caused a big explosion...

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ugnc4v
As always, it's impossible to ignore the incredible artwork of BeetleJude, who once again astonishes with this piece, highlighting CMDR Exorcist's adventures.

---

That's all for this week!

o7

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Greetings Commanders,

A new week begins in the world of Elite Dangerous, so grab a seat, and let's talk about everything happening right now within the game.

Console Account Transfers
As announced in our post last week, we're very happy to be able to tell you that console account transfers are making progress behind the scenes, with the dev team hard at work to make sure as much as possible is transferred over should you wish to copy your Commander from console to PC. Secondly, if you've purchased Elite Dangerous on consoles, we'll be giving you a free copy of Elite Dangerous on PC. This will all be done in a limited-time window and the exact details are still being confirmed, but we'll be giving you plenty of heads up so you can prepare if needed.

The team are also gathering the most frequently asked questions about console account transfers so that we can provide you with the answers all at once.

The Rest of 2022
Another thing we spoke about last week was the remainder of the year and what that looks like in terms of structure for Elite Dangerous updates. Our first upcoming update, Update 12, is due this month. The main focus of Update 12 is on optimisation and fixes as we continue to improve Odyssey based on your feedback and Issue Tracker reports. There'll also be a new mission variant added, which we'll share more on in the coming weeks!

Moving forward, Updates 13 & 14 are currently aiming for August and November respectively. As well as continued performance improvements, these updates will be focusing on exciting new narrative threads for you to engage with. I know that you're all itching to hear more about what this specifically means, but rest assured that this is more than solely the continuation of GalNet. The closer we get to those updates, the more we can reveal, but it's too early right now. I would very much recommend that you keep up to date with the current happenings in the Elite Dangerous universe, as the Azimuth Saga continues to evolve.

I can't say much about 2023 right now, in fact, I can't say anything other than what you already know! The team are currently looking at a key feature overhaul for 2023, and although I cannot give you any hints as to what this is, I hope it will help allay some concerns that there is no more content coming to Elite Dangerous. There's a lot still to come, and the new major narrative phase will have a part to play in the future, too.

Frameshift Live
As you will have heard if you tuned into last week's show, Frameshift Live will now air once every two weeks on Thursday's at 4PM BST. We're looking to revamp the show based on your feedback, specifically, your ask for more insight from the development team. What this means is that there are around 16 shows left in the year, and for each of those shows, we're looking to give you something you can't get somewhere else, and I don't just mean Twitch Drops! We're currently finalising our plan for the rest of the year's shows, and once that's concrete, we'll begin sharing with you our upcoming schedules, so you know what to expect before you jump into a stream. These subjects will likely range from ship design, ideas behind core gameplay elements, concepts and more. With this in mind, is there anything in the game currently that you'd like to know more about from a development point of view?

This doesn't mean the community elements of the show will stop, though! The Elite Dangerous community continues to be one of the best things about the game, and we're keen to highlight the fantastic things you do both in and out of the in-game galaxy.

Community Event Calendar Spotlight: On The Rocks (Magic 8 Ball)
We have another Buckyball race this week! This time, it's the On The Rocks race. This one involves delivering Buckyball Beer Mats to five asteroid bases in and around the bubble in the fastest time possible. Check out more information right here.

View attachment 305816

Commander Creations

First up this week, CMDR Rheeney has framed this majestic storyboard work from CMDR Dasjav, showcasing the 'Little SRV' that caused a big explosion...

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ugnc4v
As always, it's impossible to ignore the incredible artwork of BeetleJude, who once again astonishes with this piece, highlighting CMDR Exorcist's adventures.

---

That's all for this week!

o7
Thanks for this reassuring info Zac!

For console account transfers - 3 of the most common questions are:

1) Will I be able to transfer into existing PC Odyssey account? (Replacing current progress with the console one)
2) Will I be able to transfer into an existing PC Horizons account? (Replacing as above)
3) Is the gifted Horizons copy on any specific platform (steam, epic) or is it not connected to any platform?

Any chance you can find out please?

Sounds good, thanks for clarifying things on what the narrative content is, namely not only Galnet. I think this had a lot of people off their rockers.
Looking forward to your revisioned streaming plans and of course update 12.

[...] What this means is that there are around 16 shows left in the year, and for each of those shows, we're looking to give you something you can't get somewhere else, and I don't just mean Twitch Drops! We're currently finalising our plan for the rest of the year's shows, and once that's concrete, we'll begin sharing with you our upcoming schedules, so you know what to expect before you jump into a stream. These subjects will likely range from ship design, ideas behind core gameplay elements, concepts and more. [...]
This sounds like a very, very good improvement/addition to the show. (y)

The last couple of months FSL felt a bit like it lacked a proper casus streami. 😁

I've been playing through a new story line (for me) in X4 Foundations, and in this story line, pirates are taking advantage of alien incursions.

What's this have to do with Elite? I'm glad you asked!

With all the alien-focused CGs lately, please consider adding some related bounty hunting CGs alongside those (for those of us who prefer OG combat over AX combat). Bring back "Protect the Traders" CGs and perhaps add "Protect the [whatever we call people who fight aliens these days]" CGs as well from these opportunistic pirates who love the anarchy of war. Please make sure the "exciting new narrative threads for you to engage with" is something everyone can enjoy, not just a subset of players.

It was a bounty hunting CG that rekindled my desire to play Elite. For one week. Long ago now.. See sig ---v

I understand that to see any additions from Odyssey I will have to wait until next year.
It's not very encouraging.
I just hope the optimization and general lighting is resolved soon.
Good job!

Any news about anarchy and anarchists situation? Still we need serious changes (in both on Horizons and Odyssey). And this changes must be on Both versions, since even if, consoles and PC still share the same galaxy, no matter, what it's saying.

For now, I don't wanna buy two times same game in order to transfer. I'll stay on PS, no matter what they do. I'll stay on console and I'll die on console. And of course, we also want updates on the equal rules, as PC. We also need follow them, not stay back.

I understand that to see any additions from Odyssey I will have to wait until next year.
It's not very encouraging.
I just hope the optimization and general lighting is resolved soon.
Good job!
You missed the new mission in update 12 and the new content based on the narrative post update 13 (the livestream hinted that this will be a big deal). From the previous announcement they are also looking at additional content to release in 2022 outside of that, perhaps based on spare development capacity availability.

Last edited:
@ Zac, Will console account copy only be for Horizons or will it count also for Odyssey? If I create an account with my frontier store account now will the transfer take place when I do this? Edit: I have Odyssey deluxe edition on steam & a playstation 4 account. I use Inara. Can you find out? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hm, I'm starting to suspect the "key feature overhaul" might actually be exploration, or at least exobiology. At least, as far as current plans would go. "I hope it will help allay some concerns that there is no more content coming to Elite Dangerous", and a lack of new content isn't a common complaint about PowerPlay, Engineering, CQC and all - except the obvious comment about the astonishing lack of new ships in the game - but it is quite common with exploration. Even though the problem there is mostly of mechanics: not just the lack of them, but also how both the new and old mechanics work poorly for exobiology.

The point-and-click sampling is as minimal as it gets, and while the FSS was problematic even at its inception (and by Frontier's own released numbers, people explore less than they did before), it got even worse with Odyssey. Why? Because you have to grind the FSS to completion to find any thin atmospheric planets you might be interested in, and a key design goal of the FSS when they discussed it on stream was that players should be able to look at the FSS bar and see if there's anything they might be looking for in the system. If not, then just move on and jump. Well, the only time that works now is if you're in a system that has no possibly landable body types. So, exobiology (a key Odyssey feature) needs a big overhaul, but doing it without touching body scanning would be doing less than is needed.

I could also see why they wouldn't announce well in advance that exploration might be getting an overhaul. Not just because FD might change their minds and choose something else instead, but also because if they said that "hey, we're overhauling exploration next year", many people would go "cool, I'll stop exploring until then". So that would be an announcement to make soon before the overhaul is done and goes out for testing, not a year before.

Or hey, maybe it will be something else. That still wouldn't change the fact that both exploration and exobiology really need an overhaul. Not that PowerPlay and CQC don't, but those weren't key features for the latest expansion.

Hm, I'm starting to suspect the "key feature overhaul" might actually be exploration, or at least exobiology. At least, as far as current plans would go. "I hope it will help allay some concerns that there is no more content coming to Elite Dangerous", and a lack of new content isn't a common complaint about PowerPlay, Engineering, CQC and all - except the obvious comment about the astonishing lack of new ships in the game - but it is quite common with exploration. Even though the problem there is mostly of mechanics: not just the lack of them, but also how both the new and old mechanics work poorly for

I like this logic, someone also mentioned the Economy which is another interesting angle.

Top Bottom