Ships Discussion for Asp Scout lovers

Greetings CMDRs!

Let me begin by saying, yes... i know... the Asp Scout is not the best ship in the game at anything. You will say there are plenty of other ships than can do the job more better etc.
But this ship is still pretty cool looking and has a lot of personality, and let me tell you this game is not always about winning, or doing things the most efficient way just because you have to do better... it is after all about having fun and fulfilling the "fantasy".

So, for those of you that like me love this ship, and i know there are many among you, I though it could be cool to open this thread to discuss about it. I am also kind of tired of only reading threads about people complaining and little about actual ships in general which i find very interesting.
We could talk about different uses for it, modifications with engineers that improves certain aspects of it. Your experiences with it or even post screenshots ( I wish there were paint jobs for it).
Anything that you might find relevant or interesting regarding this awesome looking ship.

I myself have a personal project to improve the ship thought engineers to make it faster since it is sooooooo slow. To me that is the only killer of the ship currently. Once i can make it faster i will be very happy, since the agility is fantastic already and the internalS are decent.
And man how much i like the look of those thrusters engines... am i the only one? :p

i was using the Asp Scout only shortly, when i was in need for a combat oriented mission runner to gain imperial rank for a courier for my second account.

1 v. 1 in assassination missions the AspS is anazing with its manouverability - the class 4 powerdistributor is a strong argument for it compared to other 2 medium 2 small hardpoint ships, and quick delivery missions are trivial with its jumprange.

ship wasn't one to keep for me, but a nice experience with my second account!

I believe it is a very capable ship in general if used correctly.
And in my opinion that is the key with this ship as with some of the other ones like the cobra IV or the KeelBack, when people dismiss them as soon as they dont behave as they expect instead of learning how to use them and in which roles.
I have found that by using some ships that are somehow more under powered than the most used ones, you tend to have a more enjoyable game experience overall, because it make things most challenging and there for fun... at least for me.
I tried several times some of those pirate lord assassination missions too with the Asp Scout and it was veeery fun. Same thing by going to conflict zones now a days, making it very challenging.I should add to it credits that i have never died in them flying the Asp Scout.

I do have a project in mind to buy an Asp S and Cobra Mk4 and see how far some engineer magic can push them. Both ships look cool and I desperately want them to be useful to me.

I believe it is a very capable ship in general if used correctly.
And in my opinion that is the key with this ship as with some of the other ones like the cobra IV or the KeelBack, when people dismiss them as soon as they dont behave as they expect instead of learning how to use them and in which roles.

people enjoy different things, and great they do! but i personally can only sign this comment.

the ship i mostly fly in 2.1. is a DBE - and like you intend with your AspS i used engineering to make it "my" ship - having speed and manouverability now of an unmodded DBS, it is my go-to ship for everything ... with a large MC :D

i used the keelback as a mission miner, and loved it...

basically, what i like most about engineering is you can make up for weaknesses of the ships you like to fly most, and can use them for nearby everything with it... and enjoy your extraordinary choice and your chosen challenge.

people enjoy different things, and great they do! but i personally can only sign this comment.

the ship i mostly fly in 2.1. is a DBE - and like you intend with your AspS i used engineering to make it "my" ship - having speed and manouverability now of an unmodded DBS, it is my go-to ship for everything ... with a large MC :D

i used the keelback as a mission miner, and loved it...

basically, what i like most about engineering is you can make up for weaknesses of the ships you like to fly most, and can use them for nearby everything with it... and enjoy your extraordinary choice and your chosen challenge.

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. It open so many opportunities now to make your dream ship. The only aspect i feel missing in this regard is a lack of attention in paint jobs for these underdog ships.

I just remember CMDR Isinona made a video some time ago flying an Asp Scout with great results:
[video=youtube;KUbV3Zq62BA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbV3Zq62BA[/video]

I've just starting using one and I'm loving it. It turns like crazy and due to the large distributor can deal serious damage with a couple of medium beams. With military grade composite it's the nimblest tank in the galaxy.

I've already upgraded the FSD to level 5, getting it to 30ly range even fully loaded for combat (the RNG gods smiled on me and I got a 1.50 roll on my first try!) so it's my new super long range fighter. Next job is to get a class 5 dirty drive so it will start moving at cobra speed!

I absolutely love fighting in it, for me anything with large hardpoints is just a bit boring in combat as it's usually too easy to kill small-medium NPCs (sold my vulture cos of that) but with the scout it's the perfect balance of defence and offence. Really the only drawback is the speed but I'm about to fix that.

Oh, and can we please have some paint jobs!

I'm still on the fence about what to do with mine... I parked her after I got my butt handed to me too many times doing salvage missions in space. She'll take quite a beating, but when you have to go against 3 to 4 in a wing sometimes it is very hard to complete the mission. She ends up being a taxi to get my FAS to complete the mission.

On top of that I've bought a T-6 and put level 3 thrusters on her and she is a blast to fly down on the planet and out runs most of the NPC's that try to take her. I will most likely upgrade my Scout as well now that it doesn't take hours of searching and shooting rocks to get her upgraded. I have G5 FSD's unlocked at Farseer... We'll see!

I'm still on the fence about what to do with mine... I parked her after I got my butt handed to me too many times doing salvage missions in space. She'll take quite a beating, but when you have to go against 3 to 4 in a wing sometimes it is very hard to complete the mission.

Those salvage missions are a bit of a pain - scoop one cargo, then run and low-wake out, fly around for the USS to respawn, and repeat. Not ideal, but... can be good financially.

Yep, wrongly being advertised as 'Exploration' missions, when half of the time you're up in combat against a wing of 3-4 ships.
Bit of a noob trap, probably another private joke of the devs at the player's expense.

Last edited:
I want to love the Asp Scout but it's tough. I mean, it's got mediocre speed, shields, armor, firepower, jump range, poor cost efficiency, extremely poor canopy integrity. It's the size of an AspX with the internals of a Cobra III with better maneuverability than both. Like I said, I really want to love it, I love the idea of it. If it brought something new to the table (like the DBX does with it's hardpoint config) then I'd be all over it, but it's like FD have put the 2M/2S hardpoint ship model through a Xerox so many times the poor thing is just a low quality distortion of all of it's predecessors.

Ok, so I have finally managed to fit in my Asp Scout a level 5 Dirty drives mod.
I need to spend some time working with the outfitting to find my sweet spot with the ship, but for now what i can say is that the ship moves like a wonder. With military composites i can reach 417 meters per second boosting.
So now with this more than fine speed and flying all the time with FAoff like i do, i could say that so far in my own experience it feels like this ship is the best for using FAoff. Extremely fun ship to fly now.
Will try to post some video some time soon.

Has anybody else tried the ship with any thrusters mod too?

Last edited:
Ok, so I have finally managed to fit in my Asp Scout a level 5 Dirty drives mod.
I need to spend some time working with the outfitting to find my sweet spot with the ship, but for now what i can say is that the ship moves like a wonder. With military composites i can reach 417 meters per second boosting.
So now with this more than fine speed and flying all the time with FAoff like i do, i could say that so far in my own experience it feels like this ship is the best for using FAoff. Extremely fun ship to fly now.
Will try to post some video some time soon.

Has anybody else tried the ship with any thrusters mod too?

Looking forward for the video. I really enjoyed it when I tried it out in beta, but it is just painfully slow for what it is.

Boost over 400 is nice enough, how is the cruise speed with 4pips?

I really tried to love the Asp Scout as I wanted a long range fighter. I upgraded to level V dirty thrusters which gave it 400+m/s boost and unbelievable turn speed, making it great fun, and put a level V FSD on it so it had 30ly range in full combat build. But, I just found it underpowered in a fight, because of it's size it takes too many hits and it's shields drop fast, and this combined with it weapon load out meant my shields tended to always drop before those of any larger NPC. Plus due to all the hits it takes I found myself constantly pumping power to shields negating the advantage of the big distributor for the weapons. And the tanky hull is pointless with the fragile canopy. All in all it was fun for a quick fight but I found it could only do one or two scraps before I need to run away to repair. Reluctantly I sold it.

I swapped it instead for a DBX, which I put the same class V thrusters on, again giving 400m/s plus and decent turning, and the FSD gives a 30+ly range. Now, as it's smaller it takes less hits, has two more utility slots, and the large hard point gives it more punch. All in all the DBX, despite not being a combat ship is proving a much stronger performer in the same role. What all that bulk in the Asp is doing I don't know as the smaller DBX outclasses it completely.

Hello CMDRs,

cptdavep, that is a shame you feel this way. I guess at the end it also come to personal experiences and the feeling you get from it. In my case, I honestly haven´t experienced what you are describing in terms of been hit very easily.
With its high maneuverability and a smart use of chaff i manage to avoid a big amount of damage. Of course the ship has it flaws, and there are many better ships out there for fighting, but i would argue one more time it can handle it self very good in the right hand and properly outfitted.
I found this video the other day showing some possible outfitting for weapons in this ship. Funny enough, he comes to the same result than me. Which is very fun and works very well in t he ASP Scout: 2 class 2 pule laser, and 2 class1 rail guns. The location for the rail guns can be better. The rail guns bring a nice punch that make the ship able to confront with bigger foes.

[video=youtube;PyucmZBtmD8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyucmZBtmD8[/video]

Regarding the video i was intending to do, i haven´t been able to do it yet due to different issues but i still have the intention to do it. Hopefully soon.

Cheers

Top Bottom