Dismiss ship, while in SLF, and SLF infinite range for Odyssey

Would be great if we could land SLF and walkout of it? Would be amazing. I wish we had infinite range on SLF, like in SRV, so we can dismiss ship and fly around in SLF above surface, would be badass for explorers in big ships like Conda or Cutter, just dismiss big ship and explore planet in SLF, whis feature would bring so much more to explorers in Odyssey,Land SLF, scan plants, then jump in, and fly over planet to next locations, and when finished with planet, summon big ship, dock and fly to next one.

Would be great if we could land SLF and walkout of it? Would be amazing. I wish we had infinite range on SLF, like in SRV, so we can dismiss ship and fly around in SLF above surface, would be badass for explorers in big ships like Conda or Cutter, just dismiss big ship and explore planet in SLF, whis feature would bring so much more to explorers in Odyssey,Land SLF, scan plants, then jump in, and fly over planet to next locations, and when finished with planet, summon big ship, dock and fly to next one.

You aren't in the SLF, it's run by telepresence, so you can't get out of it!

Yes, exactly, so why woudnt change it, so we will be in SLF, for Odyssey. Telepresence is silly mechanic excuse anyway, like if we killed in SRV we get teleported to ship, but we are physically in SRV, so no difference, we can leave it in Odyssey, so needs to be done same for SLF, thats the whole point of suggestion.

True, and thats how you're able to switch back and forth between your mothership helm and the SLF.

But the SLF does have a seated cockpit, and the dead "space cowboy" at SLF crash sites implies that they can be piloted manually (by lore, not mechanically obviously).

Personally after playing around in a keelback in Odyssey, i'd be more interested in the ability to keep an SLF deployed while landing the mothership. Letting the NPC pilot run 'overwatch' while i loot a POI or abandoned site.

Not a gamebreaker or even a "why cant we..." thing, just a "if you were to make changes to how SLFs work..."

Yes, exactly, so why woudnt change it, so we will be in SLF, for Odyssey. Telepresence is silly mechanic excuse anyway, like if we killed in SRV we get teleported to ship, but we are physically in SRV, so no difference, we can leave it in Odyssey, so needs to be done same for SLF, thats the whole point of suggestion.

This. If you can respawn in your ship when your SRV blows up, why not use the same (GAMEPLAY) logic for SLF instead of relying on telepresence.

Personally i'd be ok with getting rid of the whole telepresence idea entirely, but dont really have any stake in it one way or the other.

Would you be willing to give up the ability to switch between controlling your ship and the SLF at will?

Personally after playing around in a keelback in Odyssey, i'd be more interested in the ability to keep an SLF deployed while landing the mothership. Letting the NPC pilot run 'overwatch' while i loot a POI or abandoned site.

Not a gamebreaker or even a "why cant we..." thing, just a "if you were to make changes to how SLFs work..."

That's an interesting flip on the idea. Could see it being pretty powerful though. What could be a cool variation on this would be calling in your NPC fighter as a tactical strike. Paint a target on the ground with a laser pointer (such thousand year old tech) and call in a fighter to come and take out the target. Got a sentry turret preventing access to a building? Airstrike!

True, and thats how you're able to switch back and forth between your mothership helm and the SLF.

But the SLF does have a seated cockpit, and the dead "space cowboy" at SLF crash sites implies that they can be piloted manually (by lore, not mechanically obviously).
Basically this. SLF model also has landing gear, so its definitely was thought of. I hope we will get it at some point in Odyssey. I dream of getting to my cool SLF and explore worlds in it, land it, walk out, would be so amazing

Personally i'd be ok with getting rid of the whole telepresence idea entirely, but dont really have any stake in it one way or the other.

Would you be willing to give up the ability to switch between controlling your ship and the SLF at will?

I think that would be a fair compromise. Maybe you can pilot remote OR deploy physically depending on the situation?

I think that would be a fair compromise. Maybe you can pilot remote OR deploy physically depending on the situation?
I think this is great idea, remote OR physically. Would be game changer for explorers (at least for me). Reason I build exploration ships with high speed, and dont go for smaller D rated thrusters, just because I like flying over planets on high speed.

You aren't in the SLF, if you make it so the pilot is in the SLF then you will lose your pilot every time the SLF gets destroyed. It's either one or the other. We carry one or two SRV SRV because it's a complicated vehicle with life support, we can print SLF because they are much simpler and don't require life support. If you changed it to be the same as the SRV then you could only carry 1 or 2 SLF, it's more complicated then just making it like the SRV by...um....magic?

You would also have to give up the ability to print SLF's so combat pilots will have 1 SLF. You can't just change it to pilot needed the same as an SRV without all the negatives of the SRV.

The UI designers will be delighted ... they can hide another click :)

You already have the menu where you pick you or your SLF pilot. Just add another option to that list.

• SLF Pilot
  • Remote Pilot
  • CMDR Pilot

You aren't in the SLF, if you make it so the pilot is in the SLF then you will lose your pilot every time the SLF gets destroyed. It's either one or the other. We carry one or two SRV SRV because it's a complicated vehicle with life support, we can print SLF because they are much simpler and don't require life support. If you changed it to be the same as the SRV then you could only carry 1 or 2 SLF, it's more complicated then just making it like the SRV by...um....magic?

My suit has life support? A SLF has a full cockpit with chair and flight controls, and is larger than a SRV. How much space does the life support system in the SRV use up? What is life support, a tank of O2? They're not that big in 21st century, technology will have advanced in 1000 years. The suit also must have some kind of life support system in it because we can walk around on foot in really cold places now too.

Lore and world aside, this is a gameplay idea for gameplay reasons that would provide gameplay opportunities. I think it'd be perfectly reasonable to believe that a fighter ship would be able to support a person in a flight suit that already has ample life support capabilities.

My suit has life support? A SLF has a full cockpit with chair and flight controls, and is larger than a SRV. How much space does the life support system in the SRV use up? What is life support, a tank of O2? They're not that big in 21st century, technology will have advanced in 1000 years. The suit also must have some kind of life support system in it because we can walk around on foot in really cold places now too.

If you want to SLF to act like the SRV then it has to be the same as the SRV, you only get 1, see how that goes down with the combat crowd!

If you want to SLF to act like the SRV then it has to be the same as the SRV, you only get 1, see how that goes down with the combat crowd!

If you explode while remote piloting, it can work as it does now. You jump back to the ship to print a new one.

If you explode while "physically" piloting, you respawn the same way as you do with your SRV - back in the mothership in orbit? Maybe the physical pilot option is disabled during combat situations somehow. A Pilot's Federation safety protocol or something.

Actually, what happens when your SRV explodes but your ship is still in another player's instance? I've never tried that... I'd assume the other ship would stay there for a little while?

I'm all for it.

Would also resolve the gross violation of conservation of mass and a few other other inexplicable implications of the current 3d-printed telepresent system.

Lore and world aside, this is a gameplay idea for gameplay reasons that would provide gameplay opportunities. I think it'd be perfectly reasonable to believe that a fighter ship would be able to support a person in a flight suit that already has ample life support capabilities.
That was my original idea, honestly I dont care how SLFs made, and they dont have life support. It would be amazing gameplay for explorers, who are lacking gameplay currently. Also this would lighten up annoyance of Odyssey exploration content being so small and lackluster.

If you explode while remote piloting, it can work as it does now. You jump back to the ship to print a new one.

If you explode while "physically" piloting, you respawn the same way as you do with your SRV - back in the mothership in orbit? Maybe the physical pilot option is disabled during combat situations somehow. A Pilot's Federation safety protocol or something.

Actually, what happens when your SRV explodes but your ship is still in another player's instance? I've never tried that... I'd assume the other ship would stay there for a little while?

So, do we now get magic SRV's as well? Why should SRV's be limited to one per bay, why can't we print those as well? Why would the other ship stay there for a while? Not sure what you are on about here, but the SRV and SLF are conceptually different things. To be honest it wouldn't bother me if there were only 1 SLF per SLF bay either, because I never use them, but maybe you ought to initiate a discussion about this with the people who actually use them? Would combat pilots be willing to give up printable SLF's for a dismissable mothership?

Top Bottom