Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
that person is a turd
Hey now, let's watch it with the insults directed at other players. Not only is it a tad rude, that's how threads get shut down.

Why not just play in Solo or Private Group instead of abusing the blocking mechanic?
The blocking mechanism is in the game specifically to give people the option to avoid particular players who harm their enjoyment of the game. The fact that Frontier has included it means it is legitimate by definition. Doesn't mean you have to like it, any more than the anti-ganking crowd likes the fact that uninvited PvP is an allowed behavior, but them's the rules.

Router fiddling, on the other hand, is arguably a TOS violation. Even though it's effectively impossible to police, folks really shouldn't do that.

I know what the blocking feature is and what it’s for. Thanks.

What I took issue with is preemptively blocking someone (people you may never have run into in game anyway!) by using the friend request method. At worst it’s an exploit and at best poor form.

I know what the blocking feature is and what it’s for. Thanks.

What I took issue with is preemptively blocking someone (people you may never have run into in game anyway!) by using the friend request method. At worst it’s an exploit and at best poor form.
Does Frontier, nerf hammerer extraordinaire, immediate nerf what may be an "exploit?" no.... hmmm....

in a way it's a recourse for those who play in Open and wished to not be ganked by DG2, as the list of Commanders of DG2 has been published by DG2 itself!

and DG2 can continue on its merry way

all is well in Open

Block, Gank, and be Happy!!!

:)

we have not received any updates on DG2 either

um um um but what about credit exploits?

aren't they famous for bringing the nerf hammer down toot sweet?

Maybe a few. 17 Draconis, Robigo, and Quince all lasted for quite a while didn't they? I'd argue those were still some of the best times a lot of people had in Elite, but I digress.

Does Frontier, nerf hammerer extraordinaire, immediate nerf what may be an "exploit?" no.... hmmm....

in a way it's a recourse for those who play in Open and wished to not be ganked by DG2, as the list of Commanders of DG2 has been published by DG2 itself!

and DG2 can continue on its merry way

all is well in Open

Block, Gank, and be Happy!!!

we have not received any updates on DG2 either

"Not nerfed" does not suggest "not exploit".

Player ganks: shut up is allowed by game.
Players who gank gets blocked because they boast about ganking: tears.

Well .... if gankers are to be trusted, it's fun to hunt other players. But if you judge their actions, it's not the hunting fun but the attention and provocation they're after. Just look at the many: lol I killed an explorer, accompanied by an attempt at wit. Greenpeace, speeding limit.

The lovely result is, the constant desire to be noticed and provoke makes it easy to fill the blocklist.

So please Distant Ganks, continue crying about blocking. Ziggy enjoys ganker tears a lot :)

All you have to do is send a friend request to the people on the list. They do NOT have to accept. Just send a friend request and THEN block, then unfriend. Done. Mr. Potter found himself blocked in this fashion because I don't mind PvP but loathe gankers. Been that way since my days in Ultima. If someone is a ganker that person is a turd and I wish to not play with turds. Play your way, I will play mine.
Wel said and making good use of features Frontier has given us to play the way you like.

People cry "exploit" but Frontier has knowingly introduced instancing bias, so that's just hot air. Your game, your decision not to play with specific individuals.

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
Player ganks: shut up is allowed by game.
Players who gank gets blocked because they boast about ganking: tears.

Well .... if gankers are to be trusted, it's fun to hunt other players. But if you judge their actions, it's not the hunting fun but the attention and provocation they're after. Just look at the many: lol I killed an explorer, accompanied by an attempt at wit. Greenpeace, speeding limit.

The lovely result is, the constant desire to be noticed and provoke makes it easy to fill the blocklist.

So please Distant Ganks, continue crying about blocking. Ziggy enjoys ganker tears a lot :)

Wel said and making good use of features Frontier has given us to play the way you like.

People cry "exploit" but Frontier has knowingly introduced instancing bias, so that's just hot air. Your game, your decision not to play with specific individuals.
It generally isn't 'gankers' complaining about abuse of the block feature.

It's Powerplayers and 'white hat' bounty hunter types that have issue with router fiddling, or just arbitrary block listing commanders without interaction.

For example I remember once when Adles Armada was trying to keep a CG 'secure' in open, and the actual griefer types were just slowly and systematically adding all white hats to their block list, so they could continue unmolested.

That's the issue PvP and open types have with the current block mechanics

Last edited:
It generally isn't 'gankers' complaining about abuse of the block feature.

It's Powerplayers and 'white hat' bounty hunter types that have issue with router fiddling, or just arbitrary block listing commanders without interaction.

For example I remember once when Adles Armada was trying to keep a CG 'secure' in open, and the actual griefer types were just slowly and systematically adding all white hats to their block list, so they could continue unmolested.

That's the issue PvP and open types have with the current block mechanics
I'm aware that gankers have a larger impact than just their targets. Gankers detract from every part of the game, including regular PvP.

Another reason not to draw the line at PvP/PvE. Gankers are an issue for both groups. They should be held accountable by both groups. Unfortunately there are still those who reason: I am a PvPer, they are PvPers, so they must be on my 'side'.

The source and reason for these issues is players intentionally trying to detract from other players. That is where the responsibility lies. That is the cause. The biggest beneficiaries of the faux PvP vs PvE divide are the gankers, which is why they are always pushing that narrative.

In short: gankers are also responsible for a lessened PvP experience as a result of targeting PvEers. They are the instigators, so they have the burden of responsibility and blame. It's near impossible to implement measures against gankers that have no impact on other types of PvP.

edit: and for clarity, when I say gankers I mean griefers. I mean Distant Grievances. And all of this was caused because some CMDRs got their panties in a twist because they got banned from DWE2 because of their reputation which they spent years building. Gankers like to be known as bad boys. But when Distant Worlds acts on the reputation they throw their toys out of the pram. Distant Ganks must be the most clear example of entitled snowflakes I ever seen in a game.

Oh yeah, and then Zarek gets dragged in for ... ahem ... roleplaying purposes afterwards.

Last edited:
When you think that a little further then blocklists are a mild form of PGs with the potential to turn into the same. This is nail number 631 into the coffin of Open. Well played DG, well played. And well played FD who makes such nonsense possible in the first place.

And well played FD who makes such nonsense possible in the first place.
Sorry but no. Frontier gives a freedom to interact with other players including shooting them.
In no way is frontier responsible for the people that chose to misuse it.
Only ones to blame are those doing the ganking/griefing.

It would be like blaming windows/ios/android for people doing illegal stuff with their computer.

Sorry but no. Frontier gives a freedom to interact with other players including shooting them.
In no way is frontier responsible for the people that chose to misuse it.
Only ones to blame are those doing the ganking/griefing.

It would be like blaming windows/ios/android for people doing illegal stuff with their computer.
I wouldn't compare the situation with platforms rather than a kindergarten where the kindergartners are very much responsible for a broken fence, especially when the children are running across the street. Some are saying that ED players are adults, but all I can see are the very little children (the un- or misinformed new players) and the beatniks to whom their parents are responsible in the first place. So from this point of view I'd say FD are the kindergartners. :p

I just realized that had I been an online gamer at the time, and had I been in Golf company/troop, I could have named my M-1 Abrams the "Gank Tank".

I am sad that the stars didn't align on that.

Hi all,
Just wanted to share the week 1 progress from the Distant Ganks 2 Expedition. Attached is the updated dashboard with progress through 11am UTC.
Sorry to quote an older post, but I just stumbled on this thread and wow, love it! I am a DW1 and DW2 participant, wisely flying in Fleetcomm, lol, but I wholly support this effort. PVP in Open is fully allowed in the game, and you like us, are just exploiting a "hotspot" of resources. Please keep up your efforts, I'm wondering, are you're dedicated enough to travel all the way to Beagle Point with us? I imagine some DW2 participants will eventually become complacent and become another, data point in your charts. On the data, please continue to update this thread with weekly, um, acquisition numbers, lol.

Honestly, when I complete DW2, I'd love to wing up with any of you guys who is patient enough to help an old explorer learn more about combat and get my Novice skills ranked up a bit.

Happy hunting DG2!

I wouldn't compare the situation with platforms rather than a kindergarten where the kindergartners are very much responsible for a broken fence, especially when the children are running across the street. Some are saying that ED players are adults, but all I can see are the very little children (the un- or misinformed new players) and the beatniks to whom their parents are responsible in the first place. So from this point of view I'd say FD are the kindergartners. :p
Comparing games to a kindergarden seems quite flawed, but I get why you are saying that.
Technically is it more towards the platform comparison. Because we aren't talking about a broken fence, the individual mechanics are not broken, the individual actions are not bad, it is the context and how they end up being used that are the problem.
To repeat myself from elsewhere.
For example you are allowed to walk around and people watch all you like, heck you are even allowed to say most anything you want to people up to a point.
But even keeping within those lines, you have harassment and stalking, both of which are punished even though they are composed of actions that are on their own not something you will get in trouble for.

If games wet set up like kindergardens, you would end up with barely no freedom's for players, and you'd end up with a rather limited set of actions, no one would want that, if you ask me, more freedom is great, but yes, they can be abused, and we should punish those that do, to discourage that.

I'm aware that gankers have a larger impact than just their targets. Gankers detract from every part of the game, including regular PvP.

Another reason not to draw the line at PvP/PvE. Gankers are an issue for both groups. They should be held accountable by both groups. Unfortunately there are still those who reason: I am a PvPer, they are PvPers, so they must be on my 'side'.

The source and reason for these issues is players intentionally trying to detract from other players. That is where the responsibility lies. That is the cause. The biggest beneficiaries of the faux PvP vs PvE divide are the gankers, which is why they are always pushing that narrative.

In short: gankers are also responsible for a lessened PvP experience as a result of targeting PvEers. They are the instigators, so they have the burden of responsibility and blame. It's near impossible to implement measures against gankers that have no impact on other types of PvP.

edit: and for clarity, when I say gankers I mean griefers. I mean Distant Grievances. And all of this was caused because some CMDRs got their panties in a twist because they got banned from DWE2 because of their reputation which they spent years building. Gankers like to be known as bad boys. But when Distant Worlds acts on the reputation they throw their toys out of the pram. Distant Ganks must be the most clear example of entitled snowflakes I ever seen in a game.

Oh yeah, and then Zarek gets dragged in for ... ahem ... roleplaying purposes afterwards.

ALL of this! Thank you!

Personally, I love PvP and have had fun run ins with pirates that actually RP. Gankers are griefers and getting their rocks off on causing other people misery or otherwise ruining that players enjoyment of the game. Call those types of people whatever names you want, an insult is sometimes just a fact that folks don't like. If someone is willing to build a terrible reputation, that someone should not be upset when others make PRAGMATIC decisions based on that reputation.

By the way, for the dude clearly trolling, I didn't know about the Friend then Block then Unfriend mechanic until frontier replied to some tweet about not being able to block people unless interacted with. So take that however you like.

It dawned on me recently that DW2 is the surprise villain in this story. Masquerading as explorers, they are really just a bunch of real estate moguls, taking the natural, pristine areas of the galaxy and turning them into golf courses and tourist traps.

It's just too bad the Distant Ganker fleet was unable to protect the galaxy from this unwanted urban sprawl that has now been inflicted on all of us :(
Admit it, by appeasing to the Overlords' ruling (Z0!), you want him to rally behind your crusade against the elephant butt leather... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom