Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In my experience, it's irrelevant. You can find nice people in any area.

I agree, mostly.

There are quite a few people in the community who have left a fairly nasty taste in my mouth with thier insistence on trying to play badly thought out mindgames on posts or otherwise just spewing judgemental virtiol.

It is unpleasent. I must admit my tone on these forums has changed significantly lately because of this.

I agree, mostly.

There are quite a few people in the community who have left a fairly nasty taste in my mouth with thier insistence on trying to play badly thought out mindgames on posts or otherwise just spewing judgemental virtiol.

It is unpleasent. I must admit my tone on these forums has changed significantly lately because of this.

Agreed 100%

I agree, mostly.

I haven't been around here nearly as long as some of you, but I've already figured out that you simply can't take these forums too seriously, especially when *ahem* certain hot-button topics are involved. On the other hand, I've had almost nothing but positive experiences when encountering other players in the game!

The funny part, though, is that by the time this guy actually develops enough skill to stand up to these players, he'll have learned the bitter, unfortunate truth and be right there beside us thumping these people on the head, too.

I'm already bitter and I'm still fighting NPCs in the tutorials.
As it turns out, the road to bitterness for me is a very short walk.

Deleted member 115407

D
The funny part, though, is that by the time this guy actually develops enough skill to stand up to these players, he'll have learned the bitter, unfortunate truth and be right there beside us thumping these people on the head, too.

^This

It seems this discussion occurs in every single game that I've played over the past 20 years.

If you don't like PvP then it is insanity to pick up a PvP title, log onto a PvP server, and then fly into PvP space.
I'm not even a PvP player and I can see how ridiculous it is to jump through all these hoops to be in a PvP arena and then get upset when PvP happens.

I don't know what people expect the OP to do in that you've signaled to them that you want to fight by virtue of the fact you're in a PvP game, in a PvP server, in a PvP zone. Is the expectation that a PvP (Pirate) can read your mind and determine your mood - sort of a ESP module or something? I'm not even a PvP dude - I think random ganking is a bit ridiculous - but even though I empathize with the victims on that list, even I cannot understand what people expect the pirate to do giving the fact this is a PvP game.

It is like playing a game of chess and being upset that the other guy keeps removing your pieces from the board.
How is that guy the problem?

If I go out into a PvP zone (open space) and don't get my tail shot off I'm going to be genuinely disappointed.
Damn pirates better deliver.

Deleted member 115407

D
It seems this discussion occurs in every single game that I've played over the past 20 years.

If you don't like PvP then it is insanity to pick up a PvP title, log onto a PvP server, and then fly into PvP space....

Dude, you're in for a rough ride on this forum.

Dude, you're in for a rough ride on this forum.

I'm willing to learn.
What would help me to understand is if you could explain what expected of the PK in this situation.

Is the PK, who is in a PvP game, in a PvP server, in a PvP zone supposed to hail the other ship and ask if it is okay to attack?
I'm not mocking you here - I'm seriously asking if that is the expectation.

What is the outlaw supposed to do in this kind of a game such that you'd be okay with it?

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
I'm willing to learn.
What would help me to understand is if you could explain what expected of the PK in this situation.

Is the PK, who is in a PvP game, in a PvP server, in a PvP zone supposed to hail the other ship and ask if it is okay to attack?
I'm not mocking you here - I'm seriously asking if that is the expectation.

What is the outlaw supposed to do in this kind of a game such that you'd be okay with it?

No, I meant you're in for a rough ride because you're a PvP apologist, and you seem to have a very rational and honest point of view on the subject.

When you see what some of the anti-PvP folks postulate on these forums it's going to give you a headache at the very least.

No, I meant you're in for a rough ride because you're a PvP apologist, and you seem to have a very rational and honest point of view on the subject.

When you see what some of the anti-PvP folks postulate on these forums it's going to give you a headache at the very least.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree, mostly.

Aww... did someone upset you Turnie? You know what they say, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Five weeks later...still on DW2, still haven't been DG2'ed....although they've tried...twice. Onward to the core...I've been dilly-dallying in Colonia for the past couple of weeks.

I'm still full of awe that even some of the more honorable PvP veterans consider this shoot-the-lemmings event as actual PvP. This nonsense is more and more turning into ED's very own variant of Karneval. :p

What it actually has in common with Karneval is that it's really not easy to find the original thought(s) behind it. Meanwhile I've learned what it is - in case of Karneval (believe it or not, it's born out of necessity!). But Distant Ganks still leaves me in the dark. I'd really like to laugh about this mental mass monstrosity, if only I would get the joke. [where is it]

Hey, I'm on top of page 42. Guess that means I've already found the answer.

And then I found this post from Jason Barron, incidentally it's post #42 in its original thread:

As much as I appreciate the free publicity, I'm a little confused what your point in quoting me from the other thread is.

I’m not usually one for shooting players who won’t give me a good fight, but I also have zero sympathy for paper plane pilots in open play.

Direct actions against other players = Player vs Player

If they want to fly their carebear ships in Open, I am only too happy to send them on their way back to Solo.

I'm still full of awe that even some of the more honorable PvP veterans consider this shoot-the-lemmings event as actual PvP. This nonsense is more and more turning into ED's very own variant of Karneval. :p

What it actually has in common with Karneval is that it's really not easy to find the original thought(s) behind it. Meanwhile I've learned what it is - in case of Karneval (believe it or not, it's born out of necessity!). But Distant Ganks still leaves me in the dark. I'd really like to laugh about this mental mass monstrosity, if only I would get the joke. [where is it]

Hey, I'm on top of page 42. Guess that means I've already found the answer.

And then I found this post from Jason Barron, incidentally it's post #42 in its original thread:

I just wanna thank you for the gif of Jason you posted doing his all-American victory dance. There's just no end to the guy's talents. Cooking, dancing, ganking... the fella's a Renaissance Man! ;)

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand.

I’m a seasoned PvP pilot who knows how things work in open play. I was once a paper plane pilot myself, and even my combat ships were built to PvE standards. I could survive players in those, sure. But I didnt just want to survive, I wanted to fight them.

So I built my ships proper, and did just that. Now I’m confident I can take on just about anyone on the platform I play on, and have at least an 50-50 chance at coming out on top, even against the best pilots around.

My trade and exploration ships? Virtually unkillable as well.

Its difficult for me to feel bad for people who take poorly built ships into open play, then complain about being destroyed, especially when there are two other game modes where they can avoid this fate entirely.

Its difficult for me to feel bad for people who take poorly built ships into open play, then complain about being destroyed, especially when there are two other game modes where they can avoid this fate entirely.

Engineered for maximum jump range does not equate to "poorly built". Not every pilot is combat obsessed. Some might think going after unarmed easily destroyed ships to be beneath them, especially if they are indeed worthy and capable fighters, but I have got used to these intemperate outbursts now, as well as the lack of honor in those spouting them.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom