[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

A question about completing the expedition. If I reach Beagle Point (I haven't yet), upload to EDSM my logs of having been there, and leave before June 13 comes, will it still count as having completed DW2? I'm asking this now because of the Interstellar Initiatives announcement yesterday, as after seeing how those will go, I might decide that I don't want to wait out the final meet-up but head back to join the events instead.

A question about completing the expedition. If I reach Beagle Point (I haven't yet), upload to EDSM my logs of having been there, and leave before June 13 comes, will it still count as having completed DW2? I'm asking this now because of the Interstellar Initiatives announcement yesterday, as after seeing how those will go, I might decide that I don't want to wait out the final meet-up but head back to join the events instead.

As far as EDSM goes, I don't think it matters what day you arrive at or leave Beagle Point to be logged as completing the journey on EDSM. But bare in mind, EDSM has nothing to do with completing DW2 - its a separate thing entirely when it comes to being recognised on the fleet roster as completing DW2 or receiving any potential DW2 game rewards. EDSM only represents around 50% of the total number of people who signed up to DW2, so its not official in that sense.

To officially complete DW2 you need to be on the fleet roster, and you need to log in at Beagle Point at least once between April 22nd and June 13th (something FDev can check), and you need to post your CMDR name and roster number to the arrivals thread (thread will to be published next week). Doing this will have you marked on the roster as completing DW2 and will thereby make you eligible for any decal FDev may award (the decal is still yet to be confirmed btw).

This is how we did it on DW1 and unless FDev have changed the way they want us to collate the info, I'm assuming its the way it will be done. Any news to the contrary will be announced if we're told otherwise.

^^
I'll be announcing all of this in a bit more detail during Sundays final route map reveal.

Last edited:
As far as EDSM goes, I don't think it matters what day you arrive at or leave Beagle Point to be logged as completing the journey on EDSM. But bare in mind, EDSM has nothing to do with completing DW2 - its a separate thing entirely when it comes to being recognised on the fleet roster as completing DW2 or receiving any potential DW2 game rewards. EDSM only represents around 50% of the total number of people who signed up to DW2, so its not official in that sense.

To officially complete DW2 you need to be on the fleet roster, and you need to log in at Beagle Point at least once between April 22nd and June 13th (something FDev can check), and you need to post your CMDR name and roster number to the arrivals thread (thread will to be published next week). Doing this will have you marked on the roster as completing DW2 and will thereby make you eligible for any decal FDev may award (the decal is still yet to be confirmed btw).

This is how we did it on DW1 and unless FDev have changed the way they want us to collate the info, I'm assuming its the way it will be done. Any news to the contrary will be announced if we're told otherwise.

^^
I'll be announcing all of this in a bit more detail during Sundays final route map reveal.

Oh no, I wish I had known this a week ago.

After reaching WP 11 early, I got my second wind and decided to forge on ahead to Beagle Point. I visited it (coincidentally, I had to log out and then back in while parked on Beagle Point 2) and Semotus Beacon on the 14th, and then I returned to Explorer's Anchorage only yesterday. I was just now debating whether to head to the bubble or Colonia in time for the April update.

You're saying if I want any potential decal for DW2 completion (which I do want), I need to go all the way back to Beagle Point because I was a few days early?

cries in space madness

Oh no, I wish I had known this a week ago.

After reaching WP 11 early, I got my second wind and decided to forge on ahead to Beagle Point. I visited it (coincidentally, I had to log out and then back in while parked on Beagle Point 2) and Semotus Beacon on the 14th, and then I returned to Explorer's Anchorage only yesterday. I was just now debating whether to head to the bubble or Colonia in time for the April update.

You're saying if I want any potential decal for DW2 completion (which I do want), I need to go all the way back to Beagle Point because I was a few days early?

cries in space madness

Unfortunately yes.

No one can 'complete' DW2 before April 21st, as thats when the final stage and route map is announced. We did state over and over again that players should not race ahead or treat DW2 as a series of WP to WP buckyball races. That's not what this event was about.

I'm not saying thats what you did or anything, but you can understand that the massive amount of work we put into this was aimed at the journey itself, not the final destination, and we encouraged players to stick to the schedule and explore off route if they got bored of waiting around at a WP.

Those that followed the schedule, and we're pretty sure that's 99.99% of the participants still active on DW2, have done just that and will arrive at WP12 in the timeframe I indicated, and that's the one FDev will be using to log arrivals.

Last edited:
I've been in the Beagle Point region since last Monday.

I've been visiting the systems in the area that I've not previously been able to get to - due to lower jump ranges on my previous visits to BP.

Also been on my 2nd account, in the bubble, while waiting to complete within the soon to be announced time frame.

Unfortunately yes.

No one can 'complete' DW2 before April 21st, as thats when the final stage and route map is announced. We did state over and over again that players should not race ahead or treat DW2 as a series of WP to WP buckyball races. That's not what this event was about.

I'm not saying thats what you did or anything, but you can understand that the massive amount of work we put into this was aimed at the journey itself, not the final destination, and we encouraged players to stick to the schedule and explore off route if they got bored of waiting around at a WP.

Those that followed the schedule, and we're pretty sure that's 99.99% of the participants still active on DW2, have done just that and will arrive at WP12 in the timeframe I indicated, and that's the one FDev will be using to log arrivals.

That's perfectly fair.

For the record, the only reason I sped ahead after WP 11 was because I wanted to get back to the bubble before May, when my schedule is supposed to get busy. Under DW2's original proposal there was to have been an official return trip after Beagle Point. I had previously planned to fall behind in the expedition during May, after reaching Beagle Point, and then catch up on the return leg. But after learning that part was scrapped, I figured I wouldn't miss anything too major by completing DW2 a little early. That way, I could be back in the bubble and not have a long solo return trip ahead of me when my schedule let up. I never intended to make light of the DW2 team's efforts or the expedition itself in any way.

Anyway, thanks for confirming. Looks like I'm headed back to BP.

That's perfectly fair.

For the record, the only reason I sped ahead after WP 11 was because I wanted to get back to the bubble before May, when my schedule is supposed to get busy. Under DW2's original proposal there was to have been an official return trip after Beagle Point. I had previously planned to fall behind in the expedition during May, after reaching Beagle Point, and then catch up on the return leg. But after learning that part was scrapped, I figured I wouldn't miss anything too major by completing DW2 a little early. That way, I could be back in the bubble and not have a long solo return trip ahead of me when my schedule let up. I never intended to make light of the DW2 team's efforts or the expedition itself in any way.

+1

BTW, there will be a guide home from BP. Its something I plan to publish in around 3 weeks time. It will roughly follow the original return route I planned, but it will be guide only, nothing set to a schedule or with WP meet ups etc, like the outbound journey has been. It'll be published in one go and will have recommend sites to see on the way home.

It won't be classed as part of DW2 or a continuation of DW2 after BP though as most of the team are pretty burned out now and looking forward to a long break. Plus we found on DW1 that players tend to prefer to drift off and find their own paths home. So treat it as an optional guide home if you want to follow it.

+1

BTW, there will be a guide home from BP. Its something I plan to publish in around 3 weeks time. It will roughly follow the original return route I planned, but it will be guide only, nothing set to a schedule or with WP meet ups etc, like the outbound journey has been. It'll be published in one go and will have recommend sites to see on the way home.

It won't be classed as part of DW2 or a continuation of DW2 after BP though as most of the team are pretty burned out now and looking forward to a long break. Plus we found on DW1 that players tend to prefer to drift off and find their own paths home. So treat it as an optional guide home if you want to follow it.

Good to know.

Unfortunately yes.

I second each and every one of your words.

This expedition has never been treated as a race and I go a little further: I would only give recognition of having completed it to all the Cmdrs who have passed with their ship through all the official and main points and not just for being in Beagle Point on the established day.

This, having passed through all the route points (and not having the possibility of going directly to Beagle Point) would be the right thing to have the honor of having completed the expedition correctly and, above all, it would be the right thing to reward all the effort made by the organizers to offer us this fantastic route.

This, to have completed all the main points and get to Beagle in time would be the right thing to get the gratification and not just be in Beagle on the right day. Is this possible?

EDIT: I need clarification so that my words are not misinterpreted: this message is NOT against Commander Commdor. I want it to be clear on my part the honorability of the cmdr Commdor because he has already explained his reasons. My message is written in general for other possible commanders who have happened to them or have shortened the path for whatever reason.

Last edited:
That's perfectly fair.

You're a great commander. Fly safe !

I totally agree that the event organizing team made an enormous effort and an admirable commitment. I also agree that living the event according to the spirit that the organizers wanted to instill is a sign of respect.
Having said that, as a player who can dedicate to the game only a couple of hours a day at most and in any case sensitive to sunny days, if up to WP10 I tried to keep up with the intermediate stages, visiting the various POIs, from WP10 onwards with 14k / ly runs, the only goal was to arrive. More than a week or so, and for a couple of weeks I may not even be able to get back into the game, so after quickly reaching WP11 I hurried to Beagle Point, which presumably will be WP12, to wait there for the rest of the expedition .
In addition, I believe that to the DW2 team does not help much that FDEV announced the update on April 23, with the start of an Interstellar Initiative: probably many will be in a hurry to return to participate in this news. Probably the timing was not the most forgiving of the expedition. And in fact, if I were to be able to get back into the game in the next few weeks, the first thought would be to return to the bubble to participate in the new event.
That said, I take advantage of the post to compliment the organizers of DW2. I have never liked exploration, but this event has involved me a lot. I have also taken several pictures with which I will make a nice scree saver and I will surely keep a good memory of it.

I second each and every one of your words.

This expedition has never been treated as a race and I go a little further: I would only give recognition of having completed it to all the Cmdrs who have passed with their ship through all the official and main points and not just for being in Beagle Point on the established day.

This, having passed through all the route points (and not having the possibility of going directly to Beagle Point) would be the right thing to have the honor of having completed the expedition correctly and, above all, it would be the right thing to reward all the effort made by the organizers to offer us this fantastic route.

This, to have completed all the main points and get to Beagle in time would be the right thing to get the gratification and not just be in Beagle on the right day. Is this possible?

EDIT: I need clarification so that my words are not misinterpreted: this message is NOT against Commander Commdor. I want it to be clear on my part the honorability of the cmdr Commdor because he has already explained his reasons. My message is written in general for other possible commanders who have happened to them or have shortened the path for whatever reason.

I'd rather you stayed out of it.

Capture.JPG

Moving the goalposts on an expedition already in progress, in any way, would be a terrible idea.

Specifically, in this case, your suggestion would "eliminate" those who didn't make screenshots at every stop and don't have the logs to prove they were there. Pretty much every console user then.
Then there are those of us who skipped some waypoints. Me, I went to Sag. A* after Omega, because I was some weeks behind and saw that the expedition took a route over the Colonia highway, which I've flown a dozen times, so I decided to go explore and reach the core on an Eastward route instead.

I also missed WP6, because I was mapping off route and wasn't in a position to get back in time. Plus, I skipped both WP8 and its alternative because I'd had a disagreement with a large planet and needed to catch up by the quickest route possible.

I'd like to think this doesn't mean I've not participated, but if it does, if I don't end up with a badge or whatever... I really don't mind at all. I joined DW2, and will reach Beagle at some point in the coming fortnight, for the joy of the journey and nothing more. It's been a lot of fun, and I'm very grateful to the organisers. Lack of some 100% badge is pretty irrelevant by comparison.

Hi all, Been stuck in the system Gria eoq pp-a b19-0 (for nearly 12 months) after landing and getting the landing gear stuck out. It was in danger in losing my mind but have after an eva and a very big hammer, managed to get the landing gear working again so I've finally on my way for DW2. Not had time to mess about with the nav updates yet, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of them soon.

See you all soon - hopefully!

Top Bottom