[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

I am also impatient and my foot is tapping hard.

There are a few concerns rattling around my puny skull though. Am i setup correctly? I dont mean ship build as im all over that, but social wise, is this going to be played in a private group? I am on the discord group but there is soooooo much going on on that platform im not too sure which channel to be in and is there anything else i have missed to get the full experience of this exped.

Hi!

There is a private group, information on joining that here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...focused-Private-(pc)-Group?highlight=fleetcom
I believe consoles have their private groups going on too but I'd defer to one of the console leads on that question. I'm sure the details will get announced by them shortly anyway.

Based on DW1 I'd say a good 80-90% of people will be in that private group but from personal experience I can say it was very busy in Open and Mobius on DW1 last time so not being in the PG won't make or break it but it is highly advised.

If on PC follow step 1 and 2 on that link and it should be simple enough to get added, may take a bit for the group admin(s) to get around to adding but they will definitely be doing waves of additions before the expedition launches. If we get to the start of January and you aren't in then ping one of the organisation team for a follow-up.

As for Discord - There will soon be new channels created specifically for DW2, probably towards the close of the year so we are all set for the estimated mid-January launch. For now any questions or discussions on DW2 are probably best put into the "fleetcomm-general" text channel as there's a lot of people there that can help out. Or hold fire until the specific DW2 expedition channels are raised. :)

I have to admit I’m eager to get underway too.

Honestly I’m just eager to go exploring again after 3.3 goes live. I’ll be in a new ship (the Phantom) with new things to search for using new tools. Not to mention the whole Codex aspect being introduced.

I’m feeling an excitement for exploration I’ve not felt in a very long time, so yeah, I actually cannot wait either. ;)

I'm at the moment in a Krait MKII but I've heard that the Phantom has all the same internals but is lighter. Is this correct? I'm at 35.29ly because I'm frankly too lazy to go out and fetch the guardian stuff and I don't like mining. If the Phantom is lighter but has the same internals, I may be flying a Phantom instead.

I'm at the moment in a Krait MKII but I've heard that the Phantom has all the same internals but is lighter. Is this correct? I'm at 35.29ly because I'm frankly too lazy to go out and fetch the guardian stuff and I don't like mining. If the Phantom is lighter but has the same internals, I may be flying a Phantom instead.

It is lighter. For two "empty" ships, just jump-optimized Core internals (5A FSD, D-rated rest), the Phantom gets 37.72 ly max / 34.84 ly unladen VS 32.71 ly max / 30.52 ly unladen for the MKII.

However, if you do the small grind just for Felicity Farseer (... I get why not though, don't get me wrong...) the Phantom goes to a whopping 59 ly max just with Grade 5 FSD. That's without the Guardian FSD booster. With it, it's 69 ly max. That's stripped-down Anaconda from-before-guardian-tech territory right there. (Oh, and an optimized Annie? Almost 80 ly now).

This is all just quality of life, as far as I'm concerned, since there won't be any issue with reaching the waypoints. However, I'm still getting as much jump range as I can, just because.

I'm probably going to be in a MKII though - because the Phantom can't fit a fighter hangar. Either that, or a Mamba - just for the hell of it :)

It is lighter. For two "empty" ships, just jump-optimized Core internals (5A FSD, D-rated rest), the Phantom gets 37.72 ly max / 34.84 ly unladen VS 32.71 ly max / 30.52 ly unladen for the MKII.

However, if you do the small grind just for Felicity Farseer (... I get why not though, don't get me wrong...) the Phantom goes to a whopping 59 ly max just with Grade 5 FSD. That's without the Guardian FSD booster. With it, it's 69 ly max. That's stripped-down Anaconda from-before-guardian-tech territory right there. (Oh, and an optimized Annie? Almost 80 ly now).

This is all just quality of life, as far as I'm concerned, since there won't be any issue with reaching the waypoints. However, I'm still getting as much jump range as I can, just because.

I'm probably going to be in a MKII though - because the Phantom can't fit a fighter hangar. Either that, or a Mamba - just for the hell of it :)

Not an anaconda fan at all. I've flown it before and traded it in. There's no cockpit view IMO. I'm not bringing a fighter because I don't need one on an exploration mission so the Phantom may just be the ship I fly out there. And I do have Felicity open but I am not a fan of mining and I don't kill type 9s for materials so I don't have the materials to go higher on my FSD. I like passenger missions and taking pretty pictures in space.

So much to do....

Currently getting an Anaconda up together for a trip to Jaques, carrying all the stuff to properly kit out my Colonia Python for mining. Needs further engineering to make the trip shorter, so need to collect more mats. Maybe I'll join this year's Christmas Carriers Convoy for this bit. Also need to wait for 3.3 to drop so I can fit all the new mining tools.

Then come back, swap out all the modules that'll fit from my Krait MkII into a Phantom (melikey the Phantom:)). Will need further engineering to finish what I started, plus all the new modules that weren't transferable from the MkII. More mats required.

Then sit back and relax forabit until the expedition starts. When we get to Sag A*, nip over to Jaques, pick up the python and help build the Science Station. Then nip back for the Phantom for the rest of the trip.

At least, that's currently the plan....

oh i never thought of that, i have a ship in colonia that can mine, i might do the same and nip over and get it when the fleet do the mining work. saves flying about the rings watching the rest of you working.

Maybe the organisers should plan this into the route to go to Jaques station so peeps can change into their mining gear then go over to the CG. Ofc this will have to happen afterwards......but then whilst writing this i was thinking this will add more time onto the trip.

So much to do....

Currently getting an Anaconda up together for a trip to Jaques, carrying all the stuff to properly kit out my Colonia Python for mining. Needs further engineering to make the trip shorter, so need to collect more mats. Maybe I'll join this year's Christmas Carriers Convoy for this bit. Also need to wait for 3.3 to drop so I can fit all the new mining tools.

Then come back, swap out all the modules that'll fit from my Krait MkII into a Phantom (melikey the Phantom:)). Will need further engineering to finish what I started, plus all the new modules that weren't transferable from the MkII. More mats required.

Then sit back and relax forabit until the expedition starts. When we get to Sag A*, nip over to Jaques, pick up the python and help build the Science Station. Then nip back for the Phantom for the rest of the trip.

At least, that's currently the plan....

Quite similar to my plan, bit different: park Cutter in Colonia via Christmas Carriers, then start DW2 in mining conda and after Sag A* pick up the Cutter.

For some reason I keep half expecting to see that subtext get cut off at "A Journey of Disco..."

I really want to see a bunch of explorers deploy some mirror balls, fog machines, and put on some bell bottoms, and get that party started! ;) :D

Top Bottom