[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

There will be a guide route home posted next weekend, or you could follow the old DW1 route back if you want to leave earlier.

Dear Erimus, was this posted already? Where? Or when do you plan to post it?
I am very grateful to the organizers and I will continue to wait patiently (especially this week, I won't be able to play anyway).

So i'm back at Explorers Anchorage, sold my data, and not sure I can face the jumps back to the bubble.

Can one still suicide return?
Given there's no ship yard, presumably I need to make my NPC inactive, remove all engineered modules, then suicide, and select the sidewinder and not my Krait?

After, buy a new Krait back, transfer modules back to the bubble, and reactive NPC.
Just not sure how this works is all.
The Space Madness answer to your situation is to acknowledge you're in a desperate position between your day to day life as a competitive spaceman, scoring discoveries and credits and having made an achievement by getting all the way across; and the empty void ahead of you, without waypoints, meet-ups, or even the forum to support you in a feeling of belonging.
This now, is your chance the become a true explorer. Give in to the emptiness, loneliness and separation. You don't need the bubble. You don't need to submit your data. Let jump range, speed and distance become meaningless. Just jump in whatever direction takes your fancy. The stars and planets are your company. See the places no-one has seen, fictional and random generated they may be. Witness those numbers given colour. Look at strange coloured gas giants, honour those Old Gods...

Last edited:
I'm well on my way back to Colonia and it feels strangely lonely now, but I'm still finding neat things to take pictures of.

Here's a look at the Winds of Enlil through the lens of a black hole about 750 LY away:

Since it appears the #dw2-discoveries-submission channel was deleted from the Fleetcom Discord server, is there an official thread for submitting interesting discoveries?

I've found a system that has 9 stellar bodies and no other planetary bodies. May not be anything spectacular, but I've never seen anything like it.

Since it appears the #dw2-discoveries-submission channel was deleted from the Fleetcom Discord server, is there an official thread for submitting interesting discoveries?

I've found a system that has 9 stellar bodies and no other planetary bodies. May not be anything spectacular, but I've never seen anything like it.

Well, you should be able to submit to the Galactic Mapping Project thread, but good luck with that. Unless it meets some subjective assessment of “rarity” it doesn’t stand a chance. There appear to be no rules to guide submissions as to what should be admissible; during DW2 there was an offer to prepare a draft set of rules for this which was rejected out of hand.

I don’t know what the original purpose of the thread was, but it doesn’t seem like map preparation to me. If I’m in a strange neighbourhood I want a map to tell me what local features there are, where the restaurants, parks, refreshment stops and scenic views are; not where a shop is that sells particularly rare gastronomic specialites once in a blue moon (I wouldn’t go to that sort of local feature on principle). Needless to say I stopped reporting my expedition finds to them. Filtering out data on subjective grounds is not a sensible way to produce a map, and skews the scientific results.

Just provide your data to EDSM, via EDDiscovery; anyone who wants can then search the database to get the information they want.

Well, you should be able to submit to the Galactic Mapping Project thread, but good luck with that. Unless it meets some subjective assessment of “rarity” it doesn’t stand a chance. There appear to be no rules to guide submissions as to what should be admissible; during DW2 there was an offer to prepare a draft set of rules for this which was rejected out of hand.

I don’t know what the original purpose of the thread was, but it doesn’t seem like map preparation to me. If I’m in a strange neighbourhood I want a map to tell me what local features there are, where the restaurants, parks, refreshment stops and scenic views are; not where a shop is that sells particularly rare gastronomic specialites once in a blue moon (I wouldn’t go to that sort of local feature on principle). Needless to say I stopped reporting my expedition finds to them. Filtering out data on subjective grounds is not a sensible way to produce a map, and skews the scientific results.

Just provide your data to EDSM, via EDDiscovery; anyone who wants can then search the database to get the information they want.

The original purpose of the GMP was to catalogue interesting locations, particularly visually interesting locations. And that's still the case today. They try hard not to fill it with everything people submit because a map full of "restaurants, parks, and refreshment stops" would have seen a map with 10,000 entries on it by now and the uniqueness of the more interesting locations would have become swamped under a mass of mediocrity. Not only that, the GMP team would have a full time job on their hands adding and updating everything and anything people post on that thread.

But you pointed out a valid alternative. If you want to dump anything and everything into EDSM, do it via log updates. Problem solved. The GMP will only ever display things that the GMP team deem that best fits the guidelines they set out. Its their call, their judgement. The amount of work they've put into the project over the past 4 years means they have the experience and right to make their own judgement calls. If you have a problem with that, please discuss it on to the GMP thread where it belongs.

I also wanted to add-- Since the GMP doesn't (and can't) do everything that people might want, the door is still open for making additional projects that can run in parallel. That's how EDastro.com got started, as no one was making the kinds of visualizations or data-mining that I wanted to toy with, so I decided to give it a try myself.

I would love to see things like a comprehensive planetary nebula catalog, or a website where commanders can create POI listings themselves. My plate is kinda full at the moment, but there's room for such projects in the community, I'm sure.

Agree with what Erimus said, and personally when I am Looking at the map, I'm Looking for those very interesting locations as possible waypoints or for my own bucket list of places I want to visit.
Btw an increased max search radius on eddb would be nice...

I also wanted to add-- Since the GMP doesn't (and can't) do everything that people might want, the door is still open for making additional projects that can run in parallel. That's how EDastro.com got started, as no one was making the kinds of visualizations or data-mining that I wanted to toy with, so I decided to give it a try myself.

I would love to see things like a comprehensive planetary nebula catalog, or a website where commanders can create POI listings themselves. My plate is kinda full at the moment, but there's room for such projects in the community, I'm sure.

That was the point I was trying to make, & I have already said it in the GMP thread. The map user should be the one to decide what they’re interested in, not the map compiler. What might be useful is a more versatile UI into EDSM. I assume all ED event detections (e.g. geologicals/biologicals detected, & their type) are fed into the ED logs and can then be stored & filtered within EDSM.

That was the point I was trying to make, & I have already said it in the GMP thread. The map user should be the one to decide what they’re interested in, not the map compiler. What might be useful is a more versatile UI into EDSM. I assume all ED event detections (e.g. geologicals/biologicals detected, & their type) are fed into the ED logs and can then be stored & filtered within EDSM.
I think that hits the nail on the head. Yes, that sort of data is already in the EDSM database, and you can search for most of things already. You just can't overlay the locations of those search results on a map. Someone should probably make that, it sounds useful.

The GMP is not intended to be objective. It never was. In the beginning it was meant to show people the way to aesthetic or otherwise engaging locations, places that by the founders of the GMP were found to be out of the ordinary and to make others aware of. I think that was even before EDSM and other contemporary 3rd party tools with a map display capacity were even available. Of course, the more people went out there exploring, the more those out of the ordinary places became ... more common. Nowadays, you possibly have tens of thousands of people going out there finding new stuff all along and sometimes FDev even introduce stuff where you have to decide on how to handle them as new possible POI categories.

All this is done on a subjective basis. We are no algorithms running star catalogues or the SIMBAD base through a whatnot and put them onto a map. If you want that, you won't get it in the GMP. It's that simple. However, there is no issue with some other folks using, say, the Henry Draper cataloge and create a map of their own. Lots of people have done so before and are helped by said 3rd party tools in ways that were not available in let's say 2015 or '16. A map with all planetary nebulae sounds like a good idea (although it may get a bit crowded in the Core), as is a map of neutron highways, Wolf-Rayets or "The Badlands". You just can't do it all on one map.

Just because things are not done in a way some people like them to be, doesn't mean it's rubbish. As you have your valid reasons to do things otherwise you will please acknowledge we do things in the GMP the way it's meant for five years now. Both are legit ways to maintain a community project.

The GMP will likely always use a system of POI types sorted by 'visit worthiness" and it will be judged upon by the project admins with a number of criteria and some manoevering room for good stories, good footage, exotic location or otherwise "soft" factors in mind.

To all those who have happily contributed over the years: Thanks for your dedication and efforts. See you in the black!

I think that hits the nail on the head. Yes, that sort of data is already in the EDSM database, and you can search for most of things already. You just can't overlay the locations of those search results on a map. Someone should probably make that, it sounds useful.
What you guys are looking for is what Canonn R&D are currently working on, that's not what the GMP is for.

Hello people, I'm disconnected from the game these days and I'm not sure if it has already been published where to register the arrival and completion of the route, you know something?

Thank you.

What you guys are looking for is what Canonn R&D are currently working on, that's not what the GMP is for.
Brilliant! My point was just that the data already exists, there's no need to wait for the EDSM or GMP folks to make something. I'm happy to hear Canonn is working in that direction already, it fits very naturally in their wheelhouse.

Just jump to the first post of this thread.

Well, that's what I did before I asked, read post no. 1 again... but it's clear that I didn't find it and that's why I asked. By the way, it seems to have happened to more people (don't take it as a criticism).

Yes, I've seen the link: it's in post nº 2 (and not in nº 1).

Thanks for the answer.

Well, that's what I did before I asked, read post no. 1 again... but it's clear that I didn't find it and that's why I asked. By the way, it seems to have happened to more people (don't take it as a criticism).

Yes, I've seen the link: it's in post nº 2 (and not in nº 1).

Thanks for the answer.

Sure, I know it's not directly in post #1, but there's a table (click the top left image in post #1) to find all WP's. To be precise the link to the Arrivals thread that I meant is at the end of post #12.

But still l don't understand why the forum does work for most of the users and for some doesn't? Never heard of that before. What do you mean with "I'm disconnected from the game these days"? No Internet or no ED? Because when you posted your question, post #1 containing that information was also available ;-)

I'm not trying to offend you - I'm just curious to understand your problem!

Top Bottom