[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 Arrivals Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Thank you all so much for pulling this together. Such an incredible journey! For someone who's never strayed far from the bubble, this expedition gave me a purpose, a goal, a drive, to set out into the void and travel further than I ever have before. I am truly grateful for all of the joy, friendship, inspiration, sense of discovery and community that DW2 has given me! And now, I can't wait to set off boldly into the void, and blaze my own trail back to the bobble! It's been an honor flying with you all; I hope we cross paths again in some far-flung corner of the galaxy! o7

Announcing the arrival of the Imperial Courier Brave Sir Robin at Legacy Crater, Beagle Point 2. Greeted by a small but select group of PS4 Commanders, and a welcome lack of hostiles.

Strange tale about the ship choice: I bought Elite Dangerous to go exploring. I had an Exploraconda specced before I ever logged in, I registered for DW2 and listed Anaconda as my ship type before I ever owned it, I left Pallaeni at the start of the expedition in the 'Conda I'd spent an age getting just right.

I got bored of it by Colonia - easy-mode exploring is no fun - so swapped to the Courier at Colonia. This had been built as a Bubble-bound VIP passenger runner, and was never intended to do anything remotely long-range - and yet here I am. And I've had a blast with it. Even if it only did 43.6ly per hop.

Finally, given the name of the ship it seemed appropriate to have my minstrels pen a little ditty to commemorate the trip. ::cough::

Bravely bold Sir Robin, flew forth from Goldstein Port
Oh, brave Sir Robin, he was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin

When Thargoids raised their ugly heads
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, Brave Sir Robin fled the joint
And turned his ship to Beagle Point

While claiming now to know no fear
He sits, feet up, while downing beer....
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

Let's just not think about what state the Thargoids'll have the Bubble in by the time I get back...

Last edited:
Cmdr Merydian of the Starlight Tracer reporting from Beagle Point 2. I owe a lot of thanks here...

Where do I begin?

Thank you to the organizers, Erimus Kamzel, Dr. Kaii, and many others, for making this journey possible, and for making it scenic and interesting, not a boring slog across the galaxy. The waypoints -- and particularly the POI in between -- made the journey incredible. I tried to pick up as many of the POI as I could, even the minor ones. And the opportunities for photography were great! A couple of my own submissions now live on in EDSM: who'd have thought I would have turned out something worthy of that when this journey started?

A big shout-out to the various commanders I encountered who helped me fix my hull blunders (which thankfully weren't egregiously bad, though I did learn to double check what planet was selected in the system map when reading off the gravity). And to those who befriended me along the way. And to those I gave assistance to as well, paying forward the help given to me. In no particular order (OK, in alphabetical order because that's just how I am; sorry if I forgot anyone):

• Baugers
  • Captaincaboose
  • Chippyho123
  • Drebin Omega
  • Qianas
  • Qohen Leth
  • Seran Craken
  • SlickPBW
  • Waukeen Kyros
Special thanks to the EDSM squadron for letting me in! There are too many of you guys to name from whom I learned a lot from lurking and watching the chat. I hope some of my responses were helpful to the squadron too, and if not helpful, at least entertaining.

And to whoever developed EDDiscovery and E.D.I.S.O.N.: you guys rock!

The newletters were great: a good mix of education, tales from the journey, imagination, and photography. Thank you to all who worked on those. (Waukeen, I did read all your stories in return for that hull repair! Thanks again; fly long, fly hard, and I hope all the Feds ever see of you are your afterburner trails.)

With this journey behind me and the experience I've gained I'm confident I will be able to find my way back to civilization (hey, maybe I'll get lost but I should be able to find my way back), support fleet or no. See you in the black! o7

sMCb2UL.png

Last edited:
Can't believe I made it! Huge thanks to the organizers for all their very very hard work.

I discovered ED in December, and was immediately attracted to the exploration and sight-seeing aspects. DW2 came along at just the right time. I don't think I quite knew what I was getting in to, however...

Also, very big thanks to those who put together the outfitting guides. I managed to scrape together enough cash for a DBX and the guides were very helpful in getting me up to speed with outfitting and engineering to make the ship and the journey much less painful.

Lots of amazing sights along the way! Few of my favorites:

A journey I'll never forget!

Was an amazing journey. Didn't stop by most of the sites due to time constraints, but did meet fun people whom hope to continue playing elite with long after dw2. Some long parts toward the end but overall its part of the journey you take to get there that matters, also whom you meet along the way and the experiences you share.

Hypoe Bluae IL-K b55-23 (20190327-020020).jpg
Smootoae VE-R d4-188 (20190419-214948).jpg
Beagle Point (20190429-024909).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to the organizers for putting this together. Even though I wasn't part of the fleet and went straight to Beagle Point, I think this kind of event is crucial for the survival of this game. This is truly a sandbox

Big thanks to everyone involved in the epic task of pulling this expedition together. I pleased to report that my humble Dolphin has arrived at Beagle Point.

The voyage has been an epic one of discovery and community building. I can not say that I have ever had friends within a game before, but I certainly do now.

Welp.. didnt get nothing much out of this expedition and its all from my behalf, cant blame anyone else.

All i can say is that Elite burnout is no fun.

Arrived this morning and found a nice quiet spot.

oNhc38D.png

Very happy to tick this off the bucket list, but for me the real end point of this outward bound trip is Semotus Beacon. I understand the significance of BP of course. Now I will spend some time researching the route and ensuring I have enough mats... and then some.

This trip came at the right time for me. I had spent a long time just maintaining 'my' factions without any real goals. I was getting to the point that I was going to go try tick off the rest of the things on my bucket list. Than meant a trip to Sag A*. So I ticked that one off, and the Great Annihilator and I guess Beagle Point. On the way back I will tick off two locations on the way back to the core that I have had bookmarked for some time, but I'm not going to say anything more on that for now. Then Colonia, and probebly crossing the 1 Billion credits mark (on 860m). I will spend some time there before heading back to the bubble, where there are a few Raxxla related places to investigate. That will take time. Without the weekly targets to keep up with I dare say I will spend most of the year idling back. I would say idling home, but the galaxy feels so small now, even after 50 days of travel over four months that it is all home.

Thank you to the organisers. I don't think I would have gone past those two waypoints I hinted at, had I been doing my own planned trip. I doubt I would have come right out here.

To finish, here are a few shots from along the way, in no particular order, other than starting with the Children of Raxxla starting meetup with Drew W and ending with my view across the crater at Beagle Point. See if can recognise a few spots along the way.

fl5UYcH.png

O04fMbj.png

XxMovsf.png

VHRVcRm.jpg

eSBhv9D.png

VtHykM4.png

Os0y3fO.png

bKRKyyP.png

ndQI9tP.png

azswwM1.png

uP3XV1m.png

V0F7zgr.png

mB2eeS4.png

oWj8RnG.png

ttfqriL.png

4eHPtaa.png

SWUuY3Q.png

1AC6l1Q.png

zYfD1XZ.png

w2KGFPl.png

kgTQ2Jf.png

hLnGMLW.png

3CkxE0Q.png

PWubf9R.png

Mp85SLo.png

P.S. I am so very very very much looking forward to flying ANY other ship than a Krait Phantom. It's a great ship but...

Last edited:
Krait Mk II
Geometric Quantum

I have to admit, I probably wouldn't trek out this far again. But it was worth it for the sense of accomplishment. The main problem is supplies. Yeah the Krait Mk II has a built in coffee/tea machine, and ample biscuit storage space... but what do you do when all the tea is gone?! Dipping biscuits in water is just not the same!

After spending about a week in the BP region, I met up with my trailing wingman, o7'd some folk, and high waked out the second I a read about Fleetcom gankers in the chat. Made it to Semotus Beacon while here and really enjoyed the manually plotting, if only for a few jumps.

Obviously, a huge thank you to the organizers and participants. This event really lifted my interest in ED, between reading the forums and listening to the entire codex on the Anaconda's sweet sweet on-board stereo. I'm properly looking forward to getting back, securing my 'firsts', engineering, getting that FSD booster and saving humanity from bug aliens. Hopefully I stumble on something interesting on the way back, having not discovered any systems worth reporting over the past 65K LYs.

Thank you all again!

o7
CMDR dannyvrod

Strange tale about the ship choice: I bought Elite Dangerous to go exploring. I had an Exploraconda specced before I ever logged in, I registered for DW2 and listed Anaconda as my ship type before I ever owned it, I left Pallaeni at the start of the expedition in the 'Conda I'd spent an age getting just right.

I got bored of it by Colonia - easy-mode exploring is no fun - so swapped to the Courier at Colonia. This had been built as a Bubble-bound VIP passenger runner, and was never intended to do anything remotely long-range - and yet here I am. And I've had a blast with it. Even if it only did 43.6ly per hop.

Finally, given the name of the ship it seemed appropriate to have my minstrels pen a little ditty to commemorate the trip. ::cough::

Bravely bold Sir Robin, flew forth from Goldstein Port
Oh, brave Sir Robin, he was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin

When Thargoids raised their ugly heads
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, Brave Sir Robin fled the joint
And turned his ship to Beagle Point

While claiming now to know no fear
He sits, feet up, while downing beer....
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

Let's just not think about what state the Thargoids'll have the Bubble in by the time I get back...

Brilliant! :D And yeah, I think choice of ship really needs to come down to how much you enjoy flying it. All of the other details are important too, but having fun flying the ship needs to be at the top of the list, IMHO. Glad it worked out with the courier! It's an enormously fun little thing.

Can't believe I made it! Huge thanks to the organizers for all their very very hard work.

I discovered ED in December, and was immediately attracted to the exploration and sight-seeing aspects. DW2 came along at just the right time. I don't think I quite knew what I was getting in to, however...
A journey I'll never forget!

Nice to meet you out there yesterday. I think it's fantastic that you came along so soon after getting started. What a way to get introduced to the galaxy!

Seems like there should be a "who's got the most beat-up paint job" thread.

I think the Belugas will automatically win that one... It's amazing how much paint they lose! :)

Arrived, scanned the beacon and landed :)
loaded logs on EDSM - no idea why it says I'm only 85% complete! - it does list my current system as Beagle Point and I visited all the waypoints and most of the enroute stops too. Oh well, I guess it will sort it's self out.

Thanks so much to the organisers - I've enjoyed the journey - gonna take a break and leave for the return trip some time next month.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom