[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 Arrivals Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Purchased the original Elite from a Babbage's in Texas back in the 80's and liked it very much.

Started playing Elite Dangerous a few years ago when I read about the first DW (in progress) on reddit.

Loved this expedition (my first)- reached Beagle Point today in my Beluga, many thanks to all involved!

CMDR Jester Harold

Thank you very much to all of the organizers and fellow participants! DW2 was an extremely fun expedition for me. I got serious “Go Fever” and reached Beagle Point and Salomé’s Reach back in March. Being on the edge of the galaxy was an amazing experience! I got to see many equally amazing systems on my way out too (and back!). A few days after getting back to the Bubble I started thinking about where to go next - I have the exploration bug bad, LOL! Maybe a circumnavigation of the galaxy perhaps. For everyone still in the deep black, Ganbatte! ;)(y)

Well I officially re-arrived on the 28th, because I'm crazy like that. Two round trips was still totally worth it though. I originally arrived there on April 5th my time because I was close enough and wanted my first visit to Beagle Point and Oevasy SG-Y D0 to be on my brithday so I did that. Then I flew back to the bubble, stopping off at Luna's Shadow on the way to do missions and other miscellany on top of waiting for the April update which was going to add the ability for me to mount a cargo rack on my ship to carry some rare commodity all the way out there. Then on the weekend of the 26th through 28th, I flew back out as fast as I could with 1T of Buckyball Beer Mats in my cargo hold to leave out at Oevasy SG-Y D0 B 9 F. Made it out with a time of 11 hours and 32 minutes. (gameplay time elapsed, not RL time).

I'll be out here still for a few days, right now hanging out in Oevasy SG-Y D0 for a bit longer, but then I'll be at Beagle Point basecamp for a bit before heading back to the bubble again, or maybe I'll detour over to Colonia this time, who knows, not sure yet.

I've arrived, and oh my am I an emotional mess. I've watched worlds collide, tiptoed to the edge of a black hole, danced above Cycladia with a new friend in our fighters, took top 10% of both community goals to make the most awesome station in the game, watched the beautiful art of the stellar forge unfold, made my ship sing and ring through the jets of neutron stars, repaired the hulls of grateful commanders, made new friends, and built a treasure trove of videos and pictures that I can look back on.

Thanks everyone, EVERYONE, for all this. This is the coolest journey I've undertaken in a game.

I made it. I didn't think I would, and I worried so much about wrecking my ship before getting there, and not having enough time to make the waypoints, but in the end, I made it just fine. I'm parked in orbit around Beagle Point 2 right now, and the view here is stunning. So so worth it.

Thank you so much to all the organisers, all the helpers, all the roleplayers, all the participants. You all made this event the best it could ever be. Thank you.

Made it this morning, and as the saying goes...

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

A huge thanks to the DWII team, and the community. It's been a privilege flying with you these last few months. Looking forward to the next expedition when the time comes. See you out there in the black (and on the voyage home!). o7

I made it to Beagle Point, about two days ago.

This whole expedition has been such a stupidly huge part of my life for the last few months, it's weird thinking "I made it"...
I know, the journey is not over yet, but I thought it was a good time to reminisce for a bit.
You know the saying, "it's about the journey, not the destination".
Cheesy, I know, but I've truly had the most amazing experience I've ever had in any game.
I've met some wonderful people on the way here.
I'll always cherish the memories I've made with them, especially the long nights we spent together, laughing to tears.

This was amazing.
YOU all are amazing.

So here, I want to thank all commanders, developers, community managers and so on, who made this trip possible.
I raise my glass (or my mug) to them, and to all the great times we had, and to those that are still to come.

See you in the black o7

Landed at Beagle Point 2 two days ago. Griefer get killed my srv, but my ship is OK =)
It took me 4 days to get here from the Bubble. (4 evenings to be honest)

EDSM sheet so far:

I want to make a group photo, but I'm afraid to be killed =)
Anyway, this is my second trip to the BP, and I'm very happy to be here again. Also I mapped my early-discovered ELWs far out of the Center on the opposite side of the Bubble, and moreover, I managed to discover 2 new ELWs and 4 water worlds just inside the main route BEFORE the Explorers Archonage. That was very stunning =) I have thought you guys already "eat" everything on your route =))

So thank you Kamzel and Co for a good reason to make it again.

Federal Mission Summary: “Distant Worlds 2 Expedition”

Name: Joseph “The Clumsy Doctor” Aiden

Vessel: The Federal Corvette “Vader’s Fist”

Vessel Registration: FDN-51

Summary: I, Rear Admiral Joseph Aiden, had been tasked with being the envoy and military force representing the Federation on the second “Distant Worlds” Expeditionary fleet. My duties included but were not limited to: System Surveying, Mining, Repair, Agressive Hostile Deterrence, Surface Recon, and First Contact Ambassador.

End Summary and final report: Forgive my informal end summary but it’s hard to express how much I enjoyed this assignment- no, Journey. I had initially received my briefing no more than a week before the launch date for the expedition. My newly acquired corvette was hardly designed or fitted to be self sufficient for prolonged expeditions in the black. This caused me to go on a manic race to the nearby guardian ruins and engineers to retrofit my craft to not only have the range for the expedition, but a few little extra quality of life changes. Those guardian fighters perform amazingly.

Upon my arrival at Waypoint 1, I was greeted with possibly the largest interstellar parking lot I’d ever seen. Flying apartment buildings lined up from end to end in a rainbow of colors, though mostly yellow and black. As I came in for a landing my guidance systems failed and had to make an emergency inverted landing. It was quite a sight. My undercarriage became home for several swarms of SRVs that had decided to mount the upside down corvette. At one point, one of the numerous anacondas suggested we stack ourselves on top of the nearby very angry military outpost, to which everyone whole heartedly agreed. At the end of the day approximately 13 ships sat on a very shaky stack upon one another on the roof of the military base (recommend investigation into materials used in the construction of said base). At the end it all just came crashing down. Literally. Ships everywhere.

The grand mass jump was an interesting time. For a good portion of the moments leading up to it, several commanders had issues with their Frameshift Drives and NAV systems, preventing them from initiating the jump. It was quite a sight to see thousands of ships jumping almost at once.

After that we made our way to the second waypoint to gather materials for the soon to be Explorers Anchorage station. It was there that I met up with the brilliant Commanders “Synaptik”, chief of the Ore Corps, and “Sajime Chent-Shi”, Senior Officer in the EDSM squadron. I had retro fitted my vessel there to support small scale mining and gathering of supplies. Many endless nights and good stories were had as Synaptik’s mining fleet flew through the asteroids gathering supplies. Even got to test out a few of my combat upgrades on some would be pirates that entered the area. They say you shouldn’t bring a warship on an expedition, whoever said that is probably dead now.

The journey itself, was joyous. Chatting with fellow commanders about just about anything that came to mind, sharing some of our proudest and not so proud moments. I had also completed several personal milestones, taking the opportunity to break away from the main fleet to journey to Colonia. I didn’t stay long in the system, but it was quite a sight to see. The possibility of a 3rd human bubble soon growing at the core excites me to no end.

Approaching Sagittarius A* was a rather dangerous feat. Such a supermassive Black hole does serious damage to space-time near it. But the view was worth the risk. Standing on the edge of oblivion at the heart of our galaxy. An all encompassing void stretching across my view with the rest of te galaxy squished into my periphery. The station was cool too but to a slightly lesser extent.

From there my voyage was rather lonely, having fallen behind after Goliaths rest I had to take a straight shot from there to Beagle Point. Occasionally able to get into comms range to speak with a few commanders but not like the earlier days. They weren’t joking when they said this was the loneliest stretch.

Perhaps the most difficult part of the journey was the stretch of the Abyss known as “Route 33”. I myself experienced several Nav computer failures that halted any and all travel between systems for days on end. Though it was a preferable experience compared to trying to navigate the void between the two galactic arms of the Fomorian Frontier and The Abyss.

Words can’t describe the joy I felt upon entering the Beagle Point System. Looking back at the galaxy and seeing home almost 66,000 light years away, it didn’t seem real.

So here I sit, finishing up this report, sipping my coffee as I watch the galaxy set on the horizon.

Thank You,

-Rear Admiral Joseph “The Clumsy Doctor” Aiden

Well I officially re-arrived on the 28th, because I'm crazy like that. Two round trips was still totally worth it though. I originally arrived there on April 5th my time because I was close enough and wanted my first visit to Beagle Point and Oevasy SG-Y D0 to be on my brithday so I did that. Then I flew back to the bubble, stopping off at Luna's Shadow on the way to do missions and other miscellany on top of waiting for the April update which was going to add the ability for me to mount a cargo rack on my ship to carry some rare commodity all the way out there. Then on the weekend of the 26th through 28th, I flew back out as fast as I could with 1T of Buckyball Beer Mats in my cargo hold to leave out at Oevasy SG-Y D0 B 9 F. Made it out with a time of 11 hours and 32 minutes. (gameplay time elapsed, not RL time).

I'll be out here still for a few days, right now hanging out in Oevasy SG-Y D0 for a bit longer, but then I'll be at Beagle Point basecamp for a bit before heading back to the bubble again, or maybe I'll detour over to Colonia this time, who knows, not sure yet.

Had forgot to mention earlier but one of my best experiences wasn't even at a waypoint or basecamp or with others or anything, just some random system in a leg. It was when I went to log out one night. I have a habit of finding a planet to land on so my CMDR has the luxury of gravity overnight. So one of those nights, it was time for me to log out, I hit my next system and select one of the landable planets orbiting a gas giant there to land on for the night. Get above my landing site and enter free-cam to look around, and I noticed that this spot I picked by chance, on this planet in this system I just happened to be in at the time, was experiencing a solar eclipse. Stuck around a little longer to watch it finish. Whole thing only lasted an hour of which I caught about 30 minutes of (it was about dead centered when I got there). Out of all luck just happened to be on that planet at that spot at that particular hour.

I am going to be hitting that system up again on my way back for a few days to investigate if it's a routine event based on the planetary orbits for submission to Galactic Mapping Project or if it was just good luck and not cyclic enough for GMP. But if the orbits line up like I think they might, it might be a weekly occurrence.

And there's another system back near Omega Mining Operations that I'll probably end up submitting as well, I just need to head back to it and record the route in information, since it's one of those where the only way in and back out is a 100Ly+ jump, but it has a spectacular view on one of it's landable ringed planets, and it's far below the galactic plane.

Just arrived Beagle.

Now I stay for a few days in here, and hanging around. Then I'll took my way to colonia/bubble, maybe taking my time for the galaxy border.
RL didn't let me enjoy all the meetings and activities, but when I did it, I enjoy a lot.
I'll be alert for next expedition, I get bored quickly in bubble... hoping DW3 ,😗

Thanks to all organizers, all people make this possible and all the people joined to this adventure.
o7 CMDRS see you in the void. Or in Beagle if you arrive soon.

Last edited:
ATTN: DW2 Fleet Leadership

CMDR Nighthawk Black reporting in from Beagle Point! Many sincere thanks to the organizers, support groups and of course a heartfelt congratulations to all who stuck it out for the duration of this long and epic journey!

Happy to report that I have satisfied all of the criteria listed by the thread OP. I am DW2 Official Roster #2700 and on the evening of 4/27/2019, I successfully touched down at the WP12 Base Camp in my highly modified Krait Mk II, the 'Bloodied Walking Stick'.

Now to some related business: It has come to my attention via interested parties making use of the DSN communications relays, that Fleet Leadership intends to ‘memory-hole’ my completion form in order to illegitimately deny me credit for completing the final leg of the expedition, out of pure spite!

MSG INTERCEPTED
MSG BEGINS

CMDR REDACTED1 – 1138 HRS - 4/30/2019 - FleetComms Subspace Relay Network

“Waiting for confirmation of the kill, then I'm removing that @$$%&* from the Roster.”

CMDR REDACTED2 1138 HRS - 4/30/2019 - FleetComms Subspace Relay Network

"that guy probably already has filled the arrival form?"

CMDR REDACTED3 1138 HRS - 4/30/2019 - FleetComms Subspace Relay Network

"Yes, he did"

CMDR REDACTED4 1139 HRS - 4/30/2019 - FleetComms Subspace Relay Network

"Can you remove him from that?"

CMDR REDACTED1 – 1140 HRS - 4/30/2019 - FleetComms Subspace Relay Network

"I can remove anyone from anything."

"I can send them an email titled "DW2 in-game decal redeem code" and write "Hi Cmdr, we've examined your case and elected not to grant you a decal on account of your childish and frankly sad behaviour. Have a good one and don't forget to grow up, k thx by"

CMDR REDACTED2 – 1141 HRS - 4/30/2019 - FleetComms Subspace Relay Network

"lol that would be the sweetest kind of revenge. 'what do you mean I get no decal?'"
MSG ENDS

This is a very disconcerting and disappointing piece of intelligence which I initially refused to believe could be legitimate. After receiving it from my voyage sponsors, I spent many hours at the silence of Base Camp contemplating if it was really possible that the altruisitc members of the DW2 organizing committee would truly throw aside their principles and morals so easily...?

I completed this arduous and hazardous journey in the same manner as my fellow CMDRs, sharing all the same pitfalls, risks and occasional spells of monotony peppered by 'space-madness'. I dove the irradiated nose of the Bloodied Walking Stick into the vomiting polar jets of hundreds of neutron stars to reach my prized destination!

My alleged involvement in any violent squabbles that may or may not have erupted at Base Camp over preferred parking space, is an entirely separate issue which has absolutely no bearing on my legitimate DW2 roster status! To my knowledge, previous incidents of emergent disagreements at previous waypoints have not resulted in any of the alleged participants being removed from the DW2 roster.

I look forward to proudly displaying my DW2 completion decal after it is issued by the FRONTIER DEVELOPMENTS faction. I am also interested in obtaining the forthcoming Mug and Certificate to proudly display as keepsakes from this fascinating trip. Hence I implore and challenge the DW2 Fleet Leadership to do the right thing and submit my name on the completion rolls, along with all of our bold, fellow CMDRs who partook in this long journey. Our Earth-bound ancestors used to have a saying: Two wrongs do not make a right! I would submit that this wisdom still holds true in the year 3305.

Of course I may be way off base. Fleet Leaders, please let me know if this is all a misunderstanding and my paperwork has simply become lost in the shuffle. I am happy to submit another form via the DSN, or in person at Base Camp.

Fly safely all!

ZO

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom